What does your AS kid sleep with?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 5:20 am

My little guy loves all his stuffed animals, but they're not the only ones in his bed. He also sleeps with about a dozen books , a couple plastic coat hangers, an old plastic lamp shade, some flattened cardboard boxes, a wrapper of some sort that he picked out of a garbage can in school, and three lumps of rocks (neither smooth or nice looking, just regular rocks he picked up.). I can't toss any of them as he has named all of them, even the coat hangers and squished boxes and they're all his bedtime buddies. I just don't get it at all.

Does your kid have weird stuff he/she sleep with?

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2010, 6:11 am

I"ve no kids, but I have slept with a few teddy bears since a baby till now. I'm 19 by the way. They help me to sleep comfortably, especially the sensation of fur.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 6:38 am

yeah..... his parents =/

our 4 yr old aspie needs a lot of deep pressure contact. this includes at night. hes going through a period of insomnia again and usually sleeps with us, squished up against my back. hes never slept with toys except occasionally and then it was either a stuffed pablo (backyardigans) or diego.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 8:20 am

I'm grown-up but I sleep with scores of plush animals, heaps of books and dictionaries, my graphing calculator, a bottle of water, and a holstered Sig 9mm in my bed. Math puzzle books and ink pens often make guest appearances when a new one comes in the mail until it's all solved up.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 9:11 am

I'm not a kid, but I sleep with a turned on lamp, that has a blue light bulb. I find that it soothes me.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 12:05 pm

My little boy sleeps with one or two stuffed animals, a special little pillow and a blanket that he likes. He too, mainly wants Mommy to come sleep in his room. He was on a good stretch for awhile of sleeping through the night, but for the last few months, he wakes up every night to come get MOM........I really wish this could stop, but I am not complaining. It is pretty minor compared to some of the stories I have seen here!! !

Hethera
Raven
Raven

21 May 2010, 12:58 pm

My son sleeps with his special Thomas train blanket, an assortment of die-cast construction equipment (diggers, dump trucks, etc.), two die-cast school buses, a Happy Meal race car, about six Hot Wheels, five magnetic trains, two Easter pencils, a Christmas cracker, and two sand toys (a dump truck and a mixer). He also has some stuffed animals in his bed which he could take or leave. I'm not sure how he can possibly be comfortable in a toddler bed with that many metal toys, but if any of them are ever missing, I know darn well that NOBODY will sleep until they are found! :wink:

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 1:23 pm

Eldest son (13) sleeps with a PSP playing thunder and rain sounds, a light on and usually some empty plastic bottles.

Middle son (11) sleeps with a fleet of stuffed stuffed animals, mostly sea creatures especially sharks, and books. He also likes to draw on the wall over his bed. I've covered the wall with paper so he can draw on it without upsetting me. For some reason this really comforts him. He keeps a closet light on. He also has several issues of Kids National Geographic that he sleeps with until they are too torn up to read anymore. He hovers by the mailbox when it's due to arrive and panics if it's a day or two late.

Little guy (9 in a few days) sleeps with a fleet of stuffed animals, mostly rabbits but with a few dinosaurs and a rooster thrown in, and books. He can NOT sleep without a book to read and is currently preferring the Humphry series (about a hampster). He also keeps a copy of Grey's Anatomy in the bed. He's got a little LED light that he keeps in his bed and can't sleep without. The LED is well contained so I'm not worried about the murcery in it.

inkative
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2010, 3:08 pm

My girl sleeps with a towel under her (she occasionally wets the bed still, and although I have a mattress protector under her sheet she also finds comfort in a towel), a stuffed animal, and an extra blanket to hold onto which she calls her "sokee" or "sulky", I can't tell exactly what word that's derived from if it's derived from anything at all. But she doesn't have an assigned blanket or stuffed animal, it rotates. When she was younger, she had one sokee and two stuffed animals she had to have every night, and bedtime was impossible without them.

Oh, and she also sleeps with a light on...and with me on a mattress next to her. :roll:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 4:07 pm

I'm 23 and sleep with the stuffed animal my brother gave me for Christmas when I was eight. It's falling apart at the seams and needs to be sewn up for the umteenth time but I cannot fall alseep without it. I need to hug it a certian way and sniff it a certian way in order to fall alseep. As a kid, I would alternate my stuffed animals but I've been sleeping with this one since I was 13.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:04 pm

I didn't think about lights. I also have a string of christmas lights that have to be on. They're bright enough to read by but dim enough to sleep by.

When I was younger, I didn't sleep with anything at all because I used to wet the bed (until I was fifteen years old) and would wake up soaked to the bone and no one wanted to be near me at gym time in school because when I would sweat, the pee would come out of my skin and I'd smell like a toilet. I was afraid to sleep with anything because I knew it would be ruined so I'd even read myself to sleep with my arms over the edge of the mattress so that when I fell asleep the book would land safely on the floor instead of being left in the bed and ruined. I ruined a few favorite books when I was really young before I learned to do that to save them.

It's a real comfort now to be able to sleep in an ocean of stuffed animals and books and stuff and know that they will be safe.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:25 pm

I also wear one of my many Kinks T-shirts to bed.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 8:00 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also wear one of my many Kinks T-shirts to bed.

I can't sleep in clothing. It gets all twisted around and chokes and pinches me.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 9:38 pm

My daughter still has her pacifier "sucky" and her blankey. My son has his "brown dog" and his dolphin...and his dolphin blanket. I always sleep with my Shamu...I even took it to the hospital with me, I basically can not sleep without it. I have always had a "lovey". I had my blanket that I was brought home from the hospital until I was 13 and it fell apart. I had a rubber Donald Duck for several years that I carried everywhere with me and slept with. Then I had a Teddy Bear named Beethoven until my husband bough me "Mu Mu" on one of our first dates at Sea World about 10 years ago.....Oh yeah, we were talking about our kids huh? :lol:

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 9:49 pm

liloleme wrote:
I always sleep with my Shamu...I even took it to the hospital with me, I basically can not sleep without it.

I took Beefomet and the Turtle of Healing +3 (two important plush pals) with me to the hospital when I had my gall bladder out and I was distressed the whole week (there were complications) I was there because every time I fell asleep a nurse would come in and take the plushies from me and put them across the room on the windowsill. I couldn't get out of bed to get them and nurses wouldn't come when I rang the call button (even the time I rang it when I was lying on the bathroom floor and couldn't get up! I lay there for three hours before someone discovered me. But that's another story.) so I'd just lay there crying and looking at them across the room.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 10:25 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
I took Beefomet and the Turtle of Healing +3 (two important plush pals) with me to the hospital when I had my gall bladder out and I was distressed the whole week (there were complications) I was there because every time I fell asleep a nurse would come in and take the plushies from me and put them across the room on the windowsill. I couldn't get out of bed to get them and nurses wouldn't come when I rang the call button (even the time I rang it when I was lying on the bathroom floor and couldn't get up! I lay there for three hours before someone discovered me. But that's another story.) so I'd just lay there crying and looking at them across the room.

8O What hospital were you in? They need to close that place down.