Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CoffeeBeans
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2010, 1:50 pm

Wondering if it's a good idea to put together an indoor play area at home. We've got a play room but there's limited floor space in it due to all the different activities and toys in it! Can't really get rid of any as it's about variety not quantity. My DS is extremely bright and he needs a lot of stimulation.

He's also extraordinarily active, and though we have a lot of garden equipment, it's not always garden weather. Am thinking about clearing out the dining room and buying a plastic climbing frame and small trampoline to put in it. We've got an open-plan living room / dining room, quite large, and it's only us two in the house. So don't 'need' a dining room. He's four if that makes a difference.

I get really het up with him always bouncing around on my furniture. Maybe I should just chill but I have just one room I want to be nice in my house, my living room, and I hate that he's always trashing it! Would like to do a kind of split - he can have the dining room half to trash if he leaves my living room alone.

Thoughts please?

myownbrandofcrazy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2010, 2:11 pm

I say if you have the space for it and want to, go ahead. I'd love to have some room to design a playroom for my daughters with a hammock/therapy swing and a mini trampoline, but we just don't have the space. It sounds like it would be helpful for him to have a place to run and play when the weather isn't nice enough to go out.

Good luck with you decision, I hope you get lots of helpful responses.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2010, 2:28 pm

We have some space in the bedroom so I made climbing wall for my son. He was using it alot first year (he was 4) but now rarely so I kind of regret doing it. Since we live in a big city I would opt now to visiting different playrooms and maybe just have a rocking chair or bouncing swing inside the house.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 3:02 pm

Since AS kids do tend to have a need for a physical stim, it could be worth a try. But, you have to be sure that it would be satisfying to your son and that it really would replace trashing the furniture. We gave up and went the trashing the furniture route; just didn't have room for anything else, and didn't think anything else would work.

Something not too permanent is good, so that you don't have a huge issue if it needs to be changed again.

mommieof3asdangels
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2010, 2:29 am

My living room use to be my pride and joy! Soon it was taking over by my PDD 3year old and my 21 month old, who I have growing supisions about her having a ASD, so one day I said, oh well and packed all my pretty things away, painted a chalk board on the wall, took out the real furniture and put in "flop" chairs and couch, hung up blues clues curtains and next month the carpet is coming out and vinal is going in, and there is a gate on the doorway so they are safe in there. Yeah, I lost my space but they are a lot happier and so am I with my treasures packed saftley away! And I am also a lot less stressed that something I love will get broken. Now we just play in there and they can get as crazy as they want without mommy continuously telling them to settle down and stop throwing the ball! :D