Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2010, 8:14 pm

I feel like I am on the wrong (right) planet. Today we went for a walk. We walked five blocks, stayed at my friend's house for an hour, and walked 5 blocks back. There was wind. There were bugs. There was dirt. Not one complaint.

We have been driving home with the car windows open. Previously if they were open even a crack the wind would throw him into a major tizzy.

He is walking in the rain without an umbrella. He is walking outside after it rained and stopped without an umbrella.

He is wearing socks. Not only wearing them, but wearing clean ones every day.

He is wearing pants. Not only wearing pants, but new (from the store), clean pants every day.

He is wearing clean shirts everyday. He is not chewing on his shirts. He is not chewing on his fingers.

Not one complaint about his glasses.

Things don't have to be the 'same'.

This is just crazy. Three weeks ago we could not do any of this stuff. No socks. No pants. Everything had to be the same. No wind. No rain. We could not leave the house if it rains; wasn't worth the major meltdown.

I don't understand. I did start the inositol 3 weeks ago, which is when there was an immediate significant reduction in sensory issues. I want to believe it is due to the inositol, but really?? Is that possible that he had a severe inositol deficiency and supplementing it solved all of these problems? I know it has also been mentioned that there are suddenly breakthroughs. Yes, I agree, but even that - EVERY sensory issue suddenly non-existent?

Wouldn't you think I was kinda crazy if I a few weeks ago told you all about my son's debilitating sensory issues, suddenly they were gone, and I say I started inositol? How do I explain this to people? How do I explain to the school? His doctors?

Many of them got better after he started Abilify. I believe this was related to a reduction in anxiety and bad mood, increasing his ability to control his reaction. Combined with me chaning my parenting (allowing him not to wear socks, not making him change his shorts/shirts, etc...).

Some of the above listed sensory issues have been present since he was a baby - GONE. All of them have progressively gotten worse as he has gotten older. Some only developed in the past 2 years. All gone.

I am so confused.

I know - just enjoy it and don't question it. But this is just TOO extreme of a change not to question and discuss.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:25 pm

I was going to look into Inositol for my son. It's not part of any B-complexes that I can see. I would rather his sensory issues be

taken care of with natural substance than not. Risperdal gave him tics eventually and Remeron made him gain 30 pounds in 3

months. I have just started taking low dose Geodon which is similar to Abilify and I'm seeing a definite improvement in my

motivation to do things. Geodon is weight neutral. I think I'm going to ask my son's doc about that.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:43 pm

Sounds wonderful! Stay cautiously optimistic about the Inositol. We are trying it too but not with the great results you are having. It may be a combination of a lot of things but be happy and enjoy it! Give him lots of praise and positive reinforcement. I have always dreamed of a "magic" supplement that could make things easier like you list!

I am so happy for you and your son.

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2010, 9:04 pm

Yes, cautiously optimistic. I admit I am always afraid of a regression. I often feel as if I suffer from PTSS.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 9:32 pm

Wow, that is amazing! Maybe it is a combination of things? Maybe he feels more confident now that he knows you are understanding him better and trying to help him? Maybe it is the drug, or maybe it is the inositol?

Or maybe, he is turning a corner......Just enjoy it! I am very happy things are so much better for you and your son!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 9:48 pm

It can all be so circular. More stress more sensory issues more sensory issues more stress. And so on. If you have a good balance, ride with it. Watch for the kinks in the wheel and fix them as fast as possible. Enjoy the good periods, be prepared for the fall backs.

I am really, really happy for you and your son to have such a happy phase right now.

I think with my son things went almost a complete 180 just by having an explanation. That made so much difference to him. Night and day. Perhaps each child has their own little key. Or, more likely, series of keys ... but I think you get the drift. Something changed, and his body and mind are both celebrating.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2010, 10:12 pm

:D :D :D :D :D

well done!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 1:12 am

bjtao wrote:
Many of them got better after he started Abilify. I believe this was related to a reduction in anxiety and bad mood, increasing his ability to control his reaction. Combined with me chaning my parenting (allowing him not to wear socks, not making him change his shorts/shirts, etc...).

I'm not sure about inotisol, but I've been taking Abilify since middle school, and it works great. Probably the closest to a miracle that a synthetic drug can get, since I don't believe such a drug exists.

Congrats though.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:50 am

This is great! It sounds like you may have hit on a winning combination for him!

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 9:28 am

Is he still on the abilify too?
Wasn't too sure when reading your post. Maybe it's a combination of the two, plus the idea that you aren't pushing the "steps forward" anymore...

In any case, awesome to hear! Keep us updated.

2berrryblondeboys
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2010, 2:44 pm

I'm going to give this a try since there seems to be no harm in trying. If we can get some of those fears under control, his life would be a lot happier. Now... how to sneak it into food/drink? Does it have a flavor?

I tried sneaking acidophilus into something when he had to be on an antibiotic a couple years ago and the result was that he gave up that food! Not good for a kid who eats a very limiting diet (which also makes me think this might work if he's lacking it.)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 3:25 pm

2berrryblondeboys wrote:
I'm going to give this a try since there seems to be no harm in trying. If we can get some of those fears under control, his life would be a lot happier. Now... how to sneak it into food/drink? Does it have a flavor?

I tried sneaking acidophilus into something when he had to be on an antibiotic a couple years ago and the result was that he gave up that food! Not good for a kid who eats a very limiting diet (which also makes me think this might work if he's lacking it.)

I forget how old your kids are but, generally, I'm not one to sneak anything by my kids, especially my AS one. I've had better results being an effective salesman, and showing them that I trust them to do what is in their own best interests. Of course, they do have to be old enough (4 or 5 on up?).

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2010, 3:35 pm

inositol can be bought in powder form so it dissolves in water. didn't change the taste of water at least for me. after the initial posts about inositol i gave it a try for couple of days and it gave me a bad stomachache. just so you people know that it can do that (and i most certanly don't have a sensitive digestive system).

2berrryblondeboys
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2010, 7:02 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
2berrryblondeboys wrote:

I forget how old your kids are but, generally, I'm not one to sneak anything by my kids, especially my AS one. I've had better results being an effective salesman, and showing them that I trust them to do what is in their own best interests. Of course, they do have to be old enough (4 or 5 on up?).

My son is 5 and won't eat food based on how it looks, which means he hasn't tried almost any foods because it doesn't 'look' like it should be eaten. He won't take a vitamin - I've tried all ways (maybe I should try a gummy candy now as he's finally accepting 'candy' as something edible). I don't like sneaking things either, but he leaves me no choice really.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:08 pm

2berrryblondeboys wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
2berrryblondeboys wrote:

My son is 5 and won't eat food based on how it looks, which means he hasn't tried almost any foods because it doesn't 'look' like it should be eaten. He won't take a vitamin - I've tried all ways (maybe I should try a gummy candy now as he's finally accepting 'candy' as something edible). I don't like sneaking things either, but he leaves me no choice really.

If it dissolves completely, it shouldn't change the look, so maybe it is OK to let him know it's "special" water?

2berrryblondeboys
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2010, 9:45 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
2berrryblondeboys wrote:

If it dissolves completely, it shouldn't change the look, so maybe it is OK to let him know it's "special" water?

My older son I've NEVER hidden anything from. Henry on the other hand. Add the word "special" and I'll get "no thanks mom." Really, Ive never seen anyone as bad as he with TRYING foods. Not even putting it near his mouth - would rather starve, kind of behavior. I might as well as him to eat dog poop.

I will have to sneak it in. Can't even tell him afterwards that something is in it - he'll stop eating/drinking it. BTDT. And believe me, I'm the queen of "keeping kids in the loop"