Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fizzgiz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2010, 11:41 am

Hi everyone, I'm Jessy and my son is Robbie. He was Dx the beginning of this year in the Spectrum. The doc is not sure yet whether he is PDD-NOS or AS. I just discovered that I'm Aspie. I have been homeschooling Robbie from the start. He is now in 2nd grade, but behind in math, and very advanced in reading. I would love to share experiences and techniques with other parents. Our children require a different approach to teaching, and I find that we use the internet a lot because Robbie is such a visual learner. Another thing I want to offer is that I have an email group. I send out a weekly email with cool education sites in it. I only pick sites that I've used myself, and that don't have garbage with them. And I would never spam anyone. I find that most of my sites are geared towards visual learners and are unique in some way, like the Titanic Expedition Site which is an awesome virtual tour of the wreck site right now and what they are doing at the moment. I also share cool videos about wildlife and such. Almost everything I share is free, but I will send you links to products that cost money ONLY if I really feel that something is very worthwhile, and helpful to myself or someone I know. I also welcome people to send me sites and I will include them in a future email if they check out. If anyone is interested, you can email me at [email protected]. Just tell me that you would like to be on my list and that's it. And the same goes if you want to be taken off. If your not interested, I still would really like to connect with anyone who is homeschooling their child in the Spectrum, as I think that we have a unique set of difficulties that don't seem to fall under any other special needs category. And I would love to meet people in my Upstate New York area! Sorry this was so long, and thanks for listening. :D

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 11:45 am

Now why you gotta go and fill his head wid dat readin' and writin' nonsense? All dat boy need is Jebus...

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2010, 12:18 am

Fizzgiz, we are homeschooling, we'll be starting the K12 curriculum hopefully end of this year and beginning of next. I think a lot of what applies to kids on the spectrum applies to all kids, we all learn differently. To be able to give the child one on one attention, support them in their interests and enable them to excel in that as well as giving them extra help or a unique approach (or several different approaches) where they struggle is, to me, one of the most important things and very valuable for many kids on the spectrum.

There are pros and cons of both methods (public vs. home) and you just have to figure out what works best for your child and family.

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

09 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm

I homechool my girls, one NT & one w/AS. We've used time4learning and like it. My son is in an autism inclusion preK and does pretty well there. I'm not sure what we'll do next year. What has worked well fo my little aspie is streamlining "boring" information and coupling it with hands-on activities. I like that homeschooling leaves so much room for the subjects they want to learn more about.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2010, 1:02 pm

My 11 year old PDD/AS son home-un-schools.

He went to a little local school for five months last year, ( first time ever for more than a couple of weeks age five ), and it was ok; he did really well, ( esp in maths, reading, science, histo and geo, aswell as enjoying the games in the school field at breaktimes, didn't fit in with the social group stuff but made one friend ), but was getting a little bored, and when he started at "college" this autumn he was bored out of his brain and stopped after two weeks.

He does whatever he feels like doing, computer games, reading, writing stories, creating games, drawing, etc, and is very happy. He sees his friend from last year ( plus his younger sister who he hit it off with too, they're both odd-bods! ) ,every now and then, and another boy occasionally.

Kuma
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2010, 5:42 am

My son (9 yrs. old) has always been home schooled part time after school. He just started full time home school a few months ago. He LOVES it. He is advancing so much more quickly. In my blog I go over his studies and subjects.

Facebook: Shiroi Tora

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 12:18 am

I've been homeschooled since fith grade. If my parents did not take me out when they did or waited, I probably would have commited sucide a long time ago.