Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2006, 5:19 pm

Sorry, I have not exactly been pro-active filling everyone in on this one. I have had a nasty bug and so has my son and we've been at home together for 2 days watching "cheaper by the dozen 2" over and over again and eating pizza and m&ms.

I agree with what everybody said which is funny because people have expressed a lot of different opinions.

I suppose I just feel so desperately sad for the mum here. She's obviously really going for it. I think we've probably all had a taste of how it feels when you've got your back to the wall having to fight your corner.

My son is at mainstream school and, every day when I take him there, I take real pains to make sure he goes into school in the best possible condition etc. so it doesn't blow up in my face. I see other parents sitting in their cars looking bored while their grey little neglected children (ok so I'm exaggerating a lot) climb out and walk into the school on their own like tiny little mice. It is just so ridiculously easy for these people. Why can't they stop and think and be a little bit more sensitive for her sake before they just jump in. No - obviously I don't mean that the needs of 2 have to override the needs of the whole class but........................................

ster
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2006, 9:32 pm

i think one of the most difficult things to overcome as a parent of an aspie is the awkward embarassment that comes initially with the people who stare at you and your child and say things like~ just give him a good whallop~ then he'll stop....or even better~ don't you know how to raise your child ? :evil:

lae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 4:38 pm

People used to say things like that when my daughter was having meltdowns. I wanted to give THEM a wallop.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2006, 4:21 am

Smart answer: When you have a child, you can raise it however you want.

Mutter barely audibly about violence being the last resort of a scoundrel.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2006, 7:58 am

unfortunately, many of the culprits of such inappropriate sayings were parents themselves~their kids were perfect, of course...

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2006, 1:43 pm

ster wrote:
i think one of the most difficult things to overcome as a parent of an aspie is the awkward embarassment that comes initially with the people who stare at you and your child and say things like~ just give him a good whallop~ then he'll stop....or even better~ don't you know how to raise your child ? :evil:

To which I answered (one very stressed and exhausting day) no, but I'll just stand here and watch you show me how to do better. As she approached my son, mid-meltdown, and put her face right up to his (which was turned down of course) I could see it coming and could hardly hold it in. As he let out another holler when she said "hey sweety what's....." and the word wrong never made it out because she was being pelted with his tears and snot and trying to avoid his swinging arms. And I continued to direct my still crying son into the car while smiling and saying "thanks, we'll have to try that again some time" as she was rummaging for tissues....and suddenly my day wasn't so bad after all. At least I wasn't a blithering idiot.

I've gotten really good at giving the stare right back. We've had child services called on us twice now. One time when I was trying to keep my son from getting run over in a parking lot (a child who btw is taller than me and who could easily overpower me if he chose to at age 11) by some "good samaritan" who felt I was hurting his hand. I'd like the chance to let my son hold the good samaritan's hand. LOL Fortunately CPS now knows us well, and knows our son, and so we don't hear from them anymore.

nomoreality
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2006, 2:33 pm

It's fun reading your posts! I feel as if I was there with you all. If I had been I would have been standing there smirking!