Does this look like a PDD NOS / AS child? (21 months old)

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MsNattyable
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to add this topic..But I assume so, because I really want others parents opinions, for early diagnosing children on the autism spectrum. Of course anyones advice would be highly appreciated!

I know my son is still younger, and with the help of the internet people are able to see signs easier. There are a lot of signs I see in my son, but also he has a speech delay so maybe it could be mimicking AS? Or causing a lot of problems.

I'm sorry if this turns into a rant of sorts, but I really want to be as detailed as possible! :(

I do understand to be diagnosed you need to have a selection of things from the difference categorizes and I should go to a professional but at the moment I just want opinions from anyone else. I'm just really tired of people telling me "not to worry"..I understand they are being nice, but I just want to hear from others who have had their children diagnosed or actually know about the signs and are even aware of what the austm spectrum is!

So!..My name is Natasha! and i have a lovely son who I've named after linux's lovely kernel developer. I always knew he'd turn out to be a smart kid and love computers, because his father and I do too. His father I'v always suspected as having aspergers..He disagrees though. since meeting me and having a son his social skills have improved so very much! but he is still akward and says inappropriate things in public. He doesn't realise it though. I always have to tug on his shirt to get him to stop talking(ranting)

But that'll be an issue probably never diagnosed, who I am worried about is my son though!

So he does have a language delay, and if it was only that I wouldn't be so concerned but he does a lot of things, from spinning in circles to twirling his hair, and flapping his hands.

Here is the jist!

When my son was 18 months old, he didn't pass the "check" because he didn't point, or speak, or respond to his name.And he didn't understand instructions, and didn't give eye contact. (at my face but not the eyes.) He is so happy! and smiley though! he always walks up to people and laughs at them, even complete strangers.

Finally went to a pediatrician developmentalist when he was 18 1/2 months old because he wasn't speaking or pointing, or keeping eye contact. He said byebye, but stopped! She said he had a language delay and possible a comprehension delay, but my son is so 'happy' and 'social' there was no way of knowing until he was 2. But I really am irritated because if my son does have any problems I'd like him to get any help he needs now!

In the past 3 weeks he has started pointing!(all my work has payed off!) He looks at me when I call him(less than) half the time. Sometimes now he'll look at my eyes, but not a lot, and never for very long. I have a video I put up of him playing with a toy, and he'll pick up my hand and put it on to do it, but will not look back or at my eyes or even at me.

He does go in circles sometimes, not a lot, he does flap his hands, but not a lot, he can finally say about 3 steady words, more , byebye, UP and d. His entire vocabulary I'v ever heard him say was 16 words. Oh and if you ask him for a kiss he can give you a kiss..Just it's when he wants :P! he's been able to do this for a very long time, and he's been walking since like 14 months and dancing. He still doesn't say really say no and yes (at least not properly). And he sometimes understands when I hold out my hand that i want him to give me things. Also when i say up he sometimes understands, or if i go and bring the high chair and say up he'll come running (if he's hungry!) If he hits his head on something he'll sometimes say OUCH. But he won't come to me, he won't come for a huge if he's hurt, sometimes if my boyfriend gets upset and says no he'll come to me and turn around and sit in my lap!

I also was really happy he was saying D properly at his dad, but now he is calling my dad d, and even me ( or who ever walks in the door) . Sometimes if i point at something and say bring me that! he has done it, but very rarely. I think he understands no! Because i do say no and if he hits people or me I will give him a time out. So I think he sorta understands. He also understands come here if i put oout my hands and clap or something , it's just getting his attention is hard. Sometimes i say that way and point he'll go too! He'll also sometimes look at what i point at.

He has said OH D and pointed at my bf once. Which made us very happy!

He doesn't do it as much, but he still does sometimes pace randomly, or go around house (through kitchen living room) over and over, but now he sits down more. If he stresses over something he sticks out his arms and does this stiff back and forth dance thing. My son loves to dance! though so I don't know if its related..

He brings things to me, if he wants me to fix it, open the jar etc, he grabs my hand and puts it on things he can't do. he use to do this a lot more, but now he is starting to pass it to me.( Had to teach him that).He can do high five and sometimes says PIVE. (when he feels like it) and he will always shout YAAAY afterwards. He uses my finger to point to pictures in a book (except he has done it! I caught it on video first time he's done it.)

and he has this weird rapid blinking he does sometimes.

If he had anything on the Austim spectrum, I know it'd be mild. I really try to mimize any tv time, because he turns into a zombie when he watches it. I try my hardest to let him watch it and talk to him at same time, but he ignores me the entire time (well he ignores me most time)

I really want to know! If a child did have pdd nos, would they go in circles more?Flap more? tip toe more? He doesn't just do ONE thing, he does a ton, but just not ALL the time. Just like maybe once a day, or a few times , or every other day. The circling and spinning has become everyday for sure. just not obsessively. Sometimes it'll be two round circles then he walks off?

He has lined up cars(he doesn't have many toys out but if i put out a ton of cars he'll sometimes line them up) but i think any kid would do that, he doesn't do it obsessively.

Thank you so much for reading this and I appreciate it so very much! I really feel he is different, which is fine, but I want to know others see it too not just me..and if normal kids would do these things...I love the ASD signs website, it shows "atypical" and asd, and he seems like the asd kids...

My son also is a picky eater, He also use to stare at his hands alot when he was younger, and still does randomly, he also shakes his head for no random reason just back and forth like crazy! He also when he's extremely happy clap now instead of hand flap, but he'll still do the hand flap. He sometimes now says tanku when i say it, and he gives me his cup if he wants juice sorta say more , now that he has learned to point he is starting to point at things, but still not really things of interests, more just for when hes trying to talk. I think this is all I can think of about my son atm! lol..woo..just want to be as descriptive as possible!

The doctor finally got his hearing test rushed! (there was some mix up) and his hearing is just fine, But she said he should come in at an appointment at 2 years old. Should I stop being impatient and wait? Or should i rush it? (3 more months)...I'm very impatient..and I feel like some trained professional could teach him so much better than I am..

I'v uploaded some videos of him doing some of the things I worried about, if you have any time I'd love if you could look at this and tell me if it is worrying at all? Would a "normal" child do all those things too? Am I looking way to much into this?..I just want the best for him.. Would a child was on the AS at all understand the word no?If a person cries he'll stare at them, would they do that too?Sometimes he pets me.

thanks again for reading this huge walloftext. I made a youtube account so i can upload some of the things that are troubling me, and so I can watch his improvement. If you could look at it and give me any advice ..I'd be very happy. This is channel i put some videos of him.

youtube . com/user/MsNattyable

Channel MsNattyable

Last edited by MsNattyable on 05 Mar 2011, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm

Part of the reason that you are being told that it is too early to make a diagnosis, is that many of the things that are "warning" signs for ASD are things that many young children do, but become atypical when they continue past a certain age. From what you've described, it is very possible that your son is on the spectrum, but the issue for him right now is really not whether or not he's on the spectrum: it sounds like he has some significant language delays, and you might want to have him assessed for that. It is not too early to assess for discrete issues that could be connected with a possible ASD diagnosis, or be a separate issue unto themselves. Have his speech assessed. If he falls into the range of deficits that warrants early intervention (how much of a delay depends on where you live), he will receive services for speech regardless of whether he has ASD.

Once he is connected with the early intervention system, he will be able to access other interventions, if necessary, more easily.

MsNattyable

05 Mar 2011, 1:34 pm

Thank you very much for the reply Jat. I am most worried about his speech also, but the only thing the devlopmentalist said she could do for me was give me the speech therapist (private) names to look up and be put on a waiting list for 6 months for the free one ( which she told me will only be one session!) i can only do about 3 sessions covered by my insurance.

Should i insist that she see him before he is 2 (in may) Or just wait till she will see him and just look for a private speech therapist? Will a speech therapist have any knowledge or be able to teach him even if he ignores her? When I called them it was December - Jan. And i called about 5 , either on vaction or full..*sigh* I guess I should keep trying! I kind've this past month(feb), and just been trying to teach him myself. I know though i need help ..

People all seem to just think that speech delay happens and he will just spurt out with words, I'm trying really hard to teach him words, but everyone makes me feel like I'm not teaching him enough or talking to him enough. When all I do is talk to him :(

Would the average child catch onto words by talking to them? or do most children need to sit down and do flash cards?

So a lot of these 'signs' could be completely normal?just if they persist as he gets older then it's atypical? I do see him improving a lot! compared to not smiling or interacting at me at all, so I guess I should just keep what I'm doing and hope for best in the asd department?

I live in canada, and I'm very unsure what I should do ..But I guess I'll just keep calling and look for an open spot with a speech therapist .

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 2:03 pm

Since your access to speech therapy is so limited, when you do go, ask the therapist to train you, as well as work with your son, so you will know what to do "between sessions," to maximize the effectiveness of her work. :wink: You want her to teach you to be the best speech therapist for your son that you can be; some therapists are happy to do that, some are not. So if you frame it as supporting her work, you are more likely to get her cooperation.

Most children do not need flash cards in order to learn to speak fluently. They learn naturally, by hearing others around them speaking, and by hearing others speak to them. Using flash cards is a very unnatural way to learn to speak, but some children need them anyway. As long as it's done in a way that's fun, like a game, that's okay. If it becomes a source of stress, it can be counterproductive.

A good speech therapist who is used to working with small children will know how to engage your son, even if he tends to ignore most people. They tend to be very energetic in their approach, change activities often, and use lots of age appropriate "games" to teach. The children experience their sessions as fun playtime.

If you have flexibility in your schedule, you might want to find out whether the speech therapist has a "cancellation list," where you could get called for an appointment at the last minute if someone cancels their appointment. Sometimes, that can get you an appointment much more quickly than the typical six-month waiting list, but stay on the waiting list in case you don't get an earlier appointment through the cancellation list. As for waiting until May, that's only two months away, and I don't know the system in Canada so I don't know whether you'd be likely to be able to get an appointment any faster than that anyway ...

As far as what people are saying, unless they are with you 24/7, they don't really know what you are or aren't doing. Try to narrate your day as much as possible, so your son is getting the maximum verbal input. "Oh, look! There's the mailman. He's bringing the mail. Let's see, there's bills. I don't think I'll open those now." All the things you think silently (as long as you don't need to censor them - LOL!), give them voice, so your son hears the words. If you tell him what you're doing, as you set the table or decide on what to eat for lunch, he will have a better sense of how people think about things. If you tell him you're getting in the car to go to the grocery store, and you're going to buy x, y and z, and then he watches you do that, it makes the world make sense - and the words make sense. If you're already doing this, great! Keep it up - the people who say you aren't talking to him enough have no idea what you're doing.

It's very hard to know, through the internet, what's typical and what isn't. The most important thing is that you have a happy little boy, and you seem to really enjoy him. That is something that you need to continue to do. Enjoying him, interacting with him, playing with him - those are the best things a parent can do. When you see things he needs help with, like his speech, it's useful to try and get support for them. You'll get a better sense of what is and isn't typical as your son grows up, and he'll show you what he needs as he gets older. What he needs will change - whether he's on the spectrum or not. Being the attentive, involved parent you are is the most important thing you can be.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 3:30 pm

Well, he SOUNDS autistic to me. I don't know where you got NOS.
As for being a late talker? Well, I DID start talking sentences around 9-10mo, but was told I just went straight to it, which would mean I DID miss the 6mo baby talk/babbling bit. And the time for sentences is by 24mo, NOT 21mo, so he may still make it.

innermusic

05 Mar 2011, 3:49 pm

All the other replies are great. I like this especially:

Quote:
Try to narrate your day as much as possible, so your son is getting the maximum verbal input. "Oh, look! There's the mailman. He's bringing the mail. Let's see, there's bills. I don't think I'll open those now." All the things you think silently (as long as you don't need to censor them - LOL!), give them voice, so your son hears the words

If he doesn't have ASD, the things you do to help him now would help any child. But if he does, it will make a world of difference to start early.

Since you are in Canada - you may want to check this out.
http://www.hanen.org/Hanen-Programs/Pro ... rents.aspx

I'm not in Canada, but my school used one of those programs to teach parents how to help the kids, and I thought it was great, and it helped my little guy, who was also a late-talker who didn't point.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 4:01 pm

My son was diagnosed as PDD-NOS when he was 2.5 yrs old. He had words on time, but over time, we realized that he was not using them to communicate with us very much. My son was a very delayed walker, 21 mos. He flapped his hands periodically at 1 yr of age. He shook his head back and forth as if saying "NO" He did not respond well to verbal directions. He also did not point until about 21 mos of age or bring things to show me.

However, my son always had great eye contact, was very huggable and liked to be held. He smiled and seemed very social with adults. He really did not play with toys much, he was more interested in household objects than most toys. He also did not interact with other children. My son was not a picky eater though.

From the description you have given of your son, I would definitely suspect that he is on the autistic spectrum. Every case of autism is different, so there is no cookie cutter formula. Just guidelines to look for, and it sounds like your son has some of those.

My advice to you would be to wait for the appointment, because most doctors are hesitant to diagnose before 2or 3 yrs of age. Because like Jat said, many of these behaviors are present in typically developing children as well. What I would recommend is definitely start working with a speech therapist as soon as possible. Having the diagnosis at this point won't change anything, but I am a firm believer in early intervention. It will not hurt your son----it will only help his speech along. We started our son in speech therapy at 18 mos of age, and he is now almost 6. He is speaking in full sentences now, asking questions, making comments, and can have a small conversation.

I know how you feel about being tired of people telling you not to worry. I was a wreck when my son was so delayed in walking. I knew in my gut that somethings was not right. Trust your mother's instinct. Try not to worry too much, and just keep up the things you are doing with him. Just try to be as engaging as you can with him. Play silly games with him, music is also wonderful. Just keep showing him things and talking to him as much as you can. I think at this point, speech therapy is the best thing you can do, and just get him in for the evaluation when you can.

Best of luck to you and Welcome to Wrong Planet!

MsNattyable

05 Mar 2011, 4:41 pm

That sounds wonderful Jat! I think I'll make that my main focus then, getting him a speech therapist and maybe she can train me on some things. Yeah I always thought just repeating words and talking would be enough..So ifelt like a bad mother since he was about 19 -20 months (he's 21 atm) I been using this flash cards, and because of them he has said "ne" for nest and "ca-t" for cat, and he sorta said insect, and he can say apple sometimes too! But it's only when i do the cards, though I have got him to say Apple a few times when showing him an apple!

He does love the flash cards though because he loves putting them in the box and it makes him happy, because he focused way to much on putting them in the box lol.

I am a stay at home mom at the moment, so the cancellation list would be a good one.

I understand that a diagnosis won't be as useful as speech therapy at the moment, I just figured maybe for other things like some of his tantrums he gets, and just explaining it to the speech therapist.. If a child does have ASD does it matter how the speech therapist goes about teaching them?

I guess I should be patient and wait till may! I still have to arrange the appointment, because I'm constantly playing telephone tag with her..

Most people don't see my son at all, but they always tell me it's normal kids are behind etc etc. But I tell them he does strange things though, I understand some kids go in circle sometimes, flap, (speech delay) say like eeeeeeeee, stare into space..but sometimes he'll stare into space for few seconds, or he'll zone me right out. Or for no random reason he'll do ONE spin :|..like if the blender goes on, or the hair blow dryer he gets happy and does one spin, or he will do this weird this thing with his arm.

I know kids in themselves are all strange! and this is my first child..so people look at it as that sometimes.

I use to never talk as much as I do so i felt bad, but now I'm constantly explaining everything! Sometimes I feel crazy because he is completely ignoring me half the time lol.

He's starting to point to thomas the train more often in his books! instead of using my finger, though he still does both lol. When I ask him who's thomas! Sometimes he'll point to thomas, but if i say who's percy, he usually points to thomas again! Or use my finger to actually point to percy(he did that once!)

sorry it seems weird..so many things he did ONCE, yet I'm so extremely proud! haha.

I'm very glad that my son is extremely happy and kind, but I have read so many people say that just because of that their kids were never looked at as on the AS , because of their social aspects.

thanks very much Jat!

And to 2ukenkerl I just got the NOS because I figure if he has anything it would be milder..Just because he does sometimes give me some eye contact, and says like 3 words, and is starting to point now..But he was suppose to do that at 12 months not 21 months lol.

I know I have till 24 to really be worried, but I guess my biggest fear is, I also believe in early intervention, and I feel so useless to him , waiting all this time, I feel like it's really precious, and could be learning.

Thanks for the link innermusic! I also feel anything I do ( had this long talk with my dad) will only benefit him in the end, not do him any harm. I try explaining to my mum , who is constantly telling me I'm too 'stuck' and crazy that he is just fine, that it's not that I don't want him to be "normal" I just feel if anything was up, the sooner I approach his situation more properly to whatever it was, the better off he'll be for the future.

So angelbear pointing at 21 months is still 'bad' because it was late right? I thought omg he's pointing maybe that means he's fine. But he still does not point out things of interest, though he is starting to use it more when he talks or to point to the fridge lol.

My son loves music, he dances the moment the music comes on! He also loves a hug, but not for to long or he'll scream at you :|. Oh he'll sit in my lap but only back into me facing away from me, and if i go to hug him when he watches tv he'll usually move away and sit on opposite end of the couch :(.. But he is looking at me more and this at least makes me happy. But ASD children still can make just as good of eye contact ? Because he is 21 months, and does not interact with kids much his age I'm not sure how'll he'll interact with them. I actually brought him to a big indoor play structure place two weeks ago, just so he can have fun and see other kids, but it brought tears to my eyes, as he sat there in his car looking at all the other kids all depressed like. Then he'd drive around in this car thing, that's all he wanted to do the entire time.

But I'm not sure if it's because he is young, doesn't hang out with kids( i feel guilty for this, I'm always looking for programs to do here!just so he can interact with kids), and because he is language delayed he might not be able to say anything to them too..

I was wondering if a child was on the ASD would they be scared of strangerS? My son walks up to complete strangers and seems to either walk past them like who cares, or just wants to talk to them/get their attention, like he'll touch them etc, is that normal for a child to do?

I do feel something is different, either way I won't be hurt I just want the best for him, that's why I really appreciate you guys taking the time to tell me about your opinions and giving me advice.

Thanks so much I really needed that! I'll start monday for speech therapist! Hopefully I can find one :( I know there is a list (website) with all the speech therapist in Manitoba(most them work from their home eep!)

And thanks I actually have known about wrongplanet for about 3 years now! I found it originally when looking for symptoms my boyfriend has LOL..kinda funny..

I love this community, it is very nice! And I'm sorry if I'm way to chatty, I never get a chance to talk about this..My boyfriend is already really irritated..I'll admit I probably talk about it way to much..Just never get much engaging conversation about it..

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

If your son is on the spectrum, it is likely that he is paying attention even when it seems like he isn't. So don't worry about talking to him when it seems like he's not listening - he may be listening very closely! This definitely falls into one of those "it can't hurt" things, and if he's listening, it could help a lot. When my son was in kindergarten (pre-diagnosis), his teacher used to tell me that he could be under the table, on his head, in the bookcase - but he always knew the answers. It looked like he wasn't paying attention, but he knew what was going on, and he absorbed all the information. Your son could be doing the same thing.

If your son is enjoying the flash cards, it's a great game. Just remember that the pictures on the cards might not translate into understanding what the objects are in real life - he might recognize "apple" on the card, but not a real apple. Try to work on the transition, so he doesn't get too fixated on the picture on the card being the only thing that matches the word for him.

Good luck getting in touch with a speech therapist!

Stubbydog
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Mar 2011, 7:58 pm

I think that all that any of us can do is try to get them help for the things they are struggling with. In his case, right now you can identify for sure that he needs help with language and speech.

IMO, anything else will become more clear down the road. My son is now 3.5, has been in speech since 18 months. He has made huge, huge strides in speech and now speaks in full sentences and conversations. He has some intelligibility issues still that we are working on, and a couple of the late-developing letters are tough for him still (R, L). But overall he's doing better than I really even hoped for. At 18 months he had just a handful of words.

It can be difficult to assess some other things until they have a good receptive language, IMO. If he gets into speech therapy and improves his language, then you will have a more clear idea where else he may (or may not) need help.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 12:13 am

MsNattyable wrote:
And to 2ukenkerl I just got the NOS because I figure if he has anything it would be milder..Just because he does sometimes give me some eye contact, and says like 3 words, and is starting to point now..But he was suppose to do that at 12 months not 21 months lol.

I know I have till 24 to really be worried, but I guess my biggest fear is, I also believe in early intervention, and I feel so useless to him , waiting all this time, I feel like it's really precious, and could be learning...

NOS is NOT necessarily milder. And people with AS do NOT need to avoid eye contact all the time. Try exposing him to fun stuff, and unusual vocabulary. Maybe his curiousity and desire for knowledge will kick in. That did it for me. My favorite words when I was younger were "what", "why", and "how".

MsNattyable

06 Mar 2011, 12:32 am

Oh I see, yeah because sometimes he does hold some eye contact, but never for long, but barely ever. But of course he looks at people. I just came back from a jewish family memebrs barmitzfa. Oh my goodness, he was flapping his arms like no tomorrow, running around tripping and falling, and goes in circles here and there, he ran right up to the floor and started dancing. All the girls (13 year olds) Were copying his dance. lol! He was going up to complete strangers and touching their tighs...and during the dance part he was going up to everyone and touching their butts and legs. When all the kids were sitting down, he ran through them and pulled a few girls hairs and ran into a few kids. It was really weird, but he really wanted to go after them, just he didn't understand what to do, but touch them, it was a tad strange..

It does make me feel uneasy, that he refuses to let me hold him, yet some random person he'll let hold him (Though in general he didnt want to be held at all, he just wants to run all over! And wants to dance alone)

I got a reply back from a therapist! Who said she can fit him in, so I'll take all your advice and take it from there. I guess he is still kinda young to really say anything, I guess it is for my own mind frame. I really need to see other kids at 21 months to see how they act lol!

And I didn't know NOS wasn't necessarily milder, I guess I misunderstood, I thought most people diagnosed with PDD NOS turn out to have "aspergers" as they get older etc. Sorry about that.

I never really tried enthusing what and who and why, I do say What's that and sometimes i swear he almost says like a jargon like that sounds almost like what's that, but it's more like the voice sound not real words lol.

But thanks again you guys, I guess I should focus more on his speech, I just get ..I like knowing ..but I guess this is something that is going to be a long road if anything is wrong before I can even truly know, if it's just normal wild baby or not

Also my boyfriend when he was younger was diagnosed with ADHD, I see a lot in my son already I see in him ! I swear though my bf was misdiagnosed and actually has aspergers though :P..But my son is very hyper so that could be it too haha

And it makes me happy to hear that your son is doing so well! It gives me hope that linus will speak just fine too one day. Do you remember how he was doing at 21 months? Did he say some words? was your son diagnosed with autism?

sorry I'm so questiony.

Shemesh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Mar 2011, 7:10 am

A few things to keep in mind:

Although many kids with ASD have a number of similar behaviours and difficulties, they also have many differences.

Yes, it is important to work on language and communication, but it sounds like your son may also have sensory issues. If that is the case (which is with the majority of individuals on the spectrum), perhaps you should consult an occupational therapist.
My son was diagnosed when he was 18 months old - and he did speak (was in the lower end of the "normal range" for the number of words used by a child his age), he was a happy little boy (still is), could look in the direction of objects when asked "where is the ...", loved hugs, didn't have difficulties eating and would often interact very well with people (adults) for his age. One of the things that greatly helped him was occupational therapy which helped him deal with sensory issues which would make him "switch off". When he had too much sensory overload, then he would not respond to anyone, seemed to be permanently in motion, shake his head, etc. As I said before, all kids are different, but the spinning, head shaking, and the bumping into people you described at the barmitzva may be a result of sensory difficulties.

In the meantime, continue working and playing, even if he seems not to be paying attention. I know there are many times when it seems that my son is not listening to what is being said, or going on in the room, but then he suddenly answers someone else's question or makes a comment even though he appears to be ignoring everything around him and is focused on something else.

Oh - and keep in mind that the more fun the interaction, the more he'll be interested.

MsNattyable

06 Mar 2011, 9:06 am

Thanks so much for replying! Well I actually have a appointment for monday! Holly molly talk about fast with this one ^^. I'm very happy! So I know she also works with ASD children, so hopefully this will work out, and she trains parents..So i'll have to meet her at her home and see where it goes from there.

Is that really a sensory issue?I thought maybe spinning just meant he was really happy?X( Though I notice when he is like really stressed he may spin. But for example when the blender or hair dryer comes on (not all time) he'll do one spin. Also he hair twirls like insane, but I think al ot of kids do this?And I assume it's because of when I use to breast feed ^^ he use to touch my hair all the time. But now it's getting crazy! It hurts so bad when he tirls my hair, and he's constantly twirling his hair, but usually when he's drinking something. When he starts twirling me or my mothers hair we know he is tired! little signals lol.

And he was stumbling and I'v never seen him be that clutzy, I guess because he was running so much! But yeah he was running into people, and he would run up and push them, or he was running up to people dancing grabbing them from behind, i was like ah *pulled him away* and then he'd run to next person, or go back to the front of the dance floor and dance lol. (his stiffy arm dance)

Is it normal for him to not be afraid of strangers at all?? That part really bugs me, he didn't know them yet he didn't care at all, he even let them hold him, but he sorta got mad because he wanted to go run not be picked up,by anyone.. or he'd walk up to people he didn't know, like this old men. It's almost like he has no fear!

Also he does these thing where he puts his chin to his shoulder with his arm straight out :|..I'v always wondered if I should pull him away from some of the things he does..or if that's bad to do..

So shemesh your son has ASD? Wow and yet he could speak just fine and understand when you talked to him? It amazes me how different every kid is. And shocks me that some might be doing the signs and not even have it! Sometimes I do get depressed like he'll never listen to me and trail off, but I'll just keep at it I know it will benefit him sooner or later..I just get so sad..like talking to wall. I feel that way when I'm talking to his father too :P I feel very ignored sometimes :(..But hearing these things makes me want to keep up the work.

*Sigh* So I made the mistake of sorta explaining to my aunt about linus, and she was like "oh I work in the school system, people these day over exagerate and are always making big deals of small things. Some kids just don't speak till their older!"

And I just told her "well on average kids do tend to talk around 18!21 months at least a few words to even 50." and she was like "Back in our day there was no number for how many words you should speak, it was just whatever." So I was trying be as polite as possible..and just said "I understand that he may be a quirky little kid and he may be completely fine, but giving him speech therapy will only have benefits no disadvantages. They say early intervention in kids who do have delays , or have ASD has a great benefit for them later on down the road, and especially in school. So I'd rather know I went to all the lengths for my son. so yup..yeah.." then it kinda trailed off lol and I walked away to go take linus from my mum! Oh! *sigh*

One thing that I have really appreciated in all this "searching" for me, is learning about ASD. I have a lot of respect for them and the mothers and fathers who have to endure crap.. I understand some older people with aspergers might not want to be defended, and they probably don't need to because their older. I also understand they do label kids A LOT lately, like sometimes seems nothing is wrong, but if you notice with YOUR child there is something different, you have the right and responsibility, with our science and day n' age to help them out as much as possible. Why can't people get that..I think that autism isn't some random "thing" made up. Lots of children and adults actually have it, and you can even tell if you know. It's makes me sad because it's not even bad..just different, yet they have to adapt to be a lot more"normal" :(..

Anyways..sorry that was a rant..Thanks a lot you guys for giving me some advice and making me feel a lot more at 'ease' in knowing more information.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 10:53 am

From all of the reading I have done, autism is a developmental disorder. Also, from observing my son, he may be delayed in doing things, for instance pointing, but he finally does it. My son had a lot of physical delays too. So I thought he would never be able to jump. Well with lots of occupational and physical therapy, he was finally able to jump at 4 yrs old. Many kids are able to jump at 18 mos of age. Also, my son really did not start asking questions until he was 5 yrs old. Many kids are asking questions at 2.5. So that is why it is considered a developmental disorder. I remember when my son was so little, I was so afraid of the things he might not ever do. For instance, I was afraid he would never be able to give me a hug or say "I love you" but he is doing all of these things now.

There is really no way to tell how things are going to turn out since each kid is different, but the fact that he has some words is a good sign. I agree that he could benefit from occupational therapy as well, but I thought speech would be a good start.

One good book to read is "The Out of Sync Child" (I can't remember the author) anyway, it gives great insight into sensory issues with children. Many children can have sensory integration issues without having autism, but most people with autism have some sensory issues.

Also, it seems as though ASD runs in families, so this is probably why you think your son's father has AS.

As far as the not being afraid of strangers, my son was 3 when he went through a phase of just wanting to run up to everyone and say "hello" He didn't seem to have a concept that running away from me could be dangerous if he got lost. I was constantly running after him.

As far as what other people are going to think or say, you just have to trust your instincts and do what is best for your son. Everyone is going to have their ideas. If your son just had a speech delay, that would be one thing, but it sounds like he does have some of the other signs of AS.

Also, many children with Aspergers can have ADHD symptoms as well. My son was diagnosed at 2.5 with PDD-NOS, but is almost 6 now. He seems to be more leaning towards Aspergers now, but he definitely has attention issues. If it is something he is not interested in, he will try to avoid it.

As far as playing with other children. at your son's age, many children do not play with other kids. But by the time he is 2.5 or 3 yrs old, it will become very apparent if he is not interested in other kids. My son is almost 6, and has never really played with other kids. He is not mean to them, just not interested unless an adult is helping him interact. He loves being around adults and older kids though.

Well, good luck on your appointments, I think you are on the right track.

MsNattyable

06 Mar 2011, 3:01 pm

Oh I see so it's not nessarily that they won't do it, but that they are delayed in it. I'm so happy for you and your family and son! that he has improved so much! I never even thought of jumping! linus is starting to do tiny jumps well hops when he get excited! What does occupationall therpy entail?

I'm scared he'll never talk..(my son) but today he said tiger! (from flash cards we do!) it makes me feel like on days like today he will speak and it will come. I just think some days 'He's not bad' then other days i'm like why's he doing that! is he okay, why is he closing his hands and stiffening up..confuses me..

I'm glad your son has caught up, from all the hard work your family and him are doing!

I'll take a look at that book you mentioned if I can find it! thanks again it got me motivated again, and I feel less depressed and obessed, now I know i should just focus first on his speech then move forward with that, but just to deal with the problems on hand.

Sometimes I think my son is older than he is I think, because he is a toddler..But your son wasn't afraid of strangers? When will i have to stop running after him chasing after other people! lol..oh geez being a mother! I was just curious if this was normal for kids to want to talk to anyne even strangers, I see other kids his age and they seem to get all scared.

Oh they can have aspergers with adhd? I guess I can't really know , I know linus has attention issues, but I figure most kids at 21 months don't focus a lot? I'm really curious to see how he reacts tomorrow with this lady and with what she shows him!

Your son sounds really cute btw! thanks again for taking time to reply ^^ and I'll come back and tell you guys how the appointment went tomorrow! His naps and eating have been all over the place, so i just hope he doesn't fall asleep at noon! I want him to be awake but not tired for the appointment :(