Does this look like a PDD NOS / AS child? (21 months old)

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

MsNattyable wrote:
@nostromo the regression worries me every day with my son, is there any signs of regression? did your son improve and start speaking like my son? does he have a language disorder? How is he doing, you and your family? i read mchat from your link before and it was useful. Aw your son sounds really hapoy and fully of fun, its great you found ways tobinteract with him. cant remeber the results before from that link if i did it now i think it would change a lot lol, cos his changes. my son they made comment about wheels cos he always looks/lays sideways or has it on a table at eye level, when they flew plane in ados and gave to him he put it on the table and slowly moved it watching wheels lol but to anyone else he just sitting theor playing with cars, i always thought it had to do with spinning wheels not starring that one shocked me!

Hi regression, is just loss of learned skills so just watch out for that, it seems to happen widely at random junctures for people with ASD even adults. He doesn't talk at all. Recently he started trying out some words, but has stopped again.
Our focus is on PECS for communication and he is really improving in that. We have added new ones like 'Tickle' which he can bring to us when he wants to play tickle games for example. Aside from that its more continued ABA etc. Toilet training is a biggie and we are starting on that. But I expect it to be a long..messy road!

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 9:42 pm

Hi Ms.Natty-

I haven't been as active on WP the last several months but just happened to check tonight and saw your repies! Well, I think it still sounds to me like it is autism. I know at that age with my son, I waffled back and forth. One day I would think he was just fine and then other days I knew for sure it was autism. Most children with autism can improve with lots of therapy so I would just stay on that track. Have you been in contact with the public schools in order to get your son into a special ed pre-school program? My son started at 3 yrs old and I saw a world of improvement in him.

As far as the echolalia---try not to worry about it too much. I know it can be disturbing, but over time, it will more than likely diminish if he continues with his speech therapy. I mean I can't predict the outcome of your son's development, but my son stopped the echolalia at close to 4 yrs old. My son is 6 now and he still gets caught up on phrases that he hears. It is so strange because my son can have a fairly normal conversation to some degree, but he still will just say random things and loves to repeat words or phrases over and over. He also likes making random noises (which is driving is crazy at the moment)

However, my son is doing pretty well academically. His reading skills are taking off and he is making 100's on every spelling test. He is still in a special class for children on the higher functioning end of the spectrum.

My son has all types of strange stimming behavior. He waves his hands, he shakes his head, makes vocal noises and has now started hitting himself in the head. It is all so confusing because he is making so much progress in many areas, and when we go places he can control his behaviors for the most part. Sometimes he appears to be a "regular" child in some situations.

Right now if I were you, I would continue on the path of getting your son help for his autism. There will be people out there who may keep telling you not to worry, but from everything you have shared, I believe your son is on the spectrum. As he gets older, it will either get better or become more apparent to others, but right now I would continue with therapy for your son.

Glad to hear from you! Hang in there! I know this is a tough time.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

Just thought I'd explain the autism/Asperger's/PDD-NOS thing.

Asperger's = no delay in speech, self-help, or lack of curiosity about the environment but DOES have issues in language, socialization, and restricted interests/reptitive behaviors

Autism = same 3 areas of issues but DOES have delay in speech, self-help, or lack of curiosity about environment

PDD-NOS = some of the traits of autism or AS but not enough for full diagnosis. Note that this says nothing about the severity of the traits.

A child could have 3 very mild traits and have autism, but if he only has 2/3, even if severe, he has PDD-NOS.