Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

glynny48
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2011, 11:00 am

Right now we are in the middle of special education testing and evaluations for Aspergers with my 6 year old son. We have done the evaluation and are waiting to meet to go over them. But the school has been doing IQ testing on him and I just got back the scores. His IQ scores came back pretty high.......... is this common among children with Aspergers...... Just curious what others experiences with this have been!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 11:31 am

Yes, it's common.

My son's overall score tipped just over gifted, but the component breakdown was the more interesting part. Some components were genius and others quite impaired. Which is, apparently, normal with AS.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Yes, it's common.

My son's overall score tipped just over gifted, but the component breakdown was the more interesting part. Some components were genius and others quite impaired. Which is, apparently, normal with AS.

Pretty much ditto. Mine had some areas with a 40 point spread between below average and gifted.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 3:50 pm

one of the criteria for asperger's is average or above average intelligence, so its pretty common to see. also common is seeing a large discrepency between the two main components, this is called scatter, when there is a large difference between the Verbal, VIQ, and Performance, PIQ, scores. for aspies you usually see a higher VIQ and lower PIQ, and often auties see an opposite pattern.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 4:12 am

glynny48 wrote:
Right now we are in the middle of special education testing and evaluations for Aspergers with my 6 year old son. We have done the evaluation and are waiting to meet to go over them. But the school has been doing IQ testing on him and I just got back the scores. His IQ scores came back pretty high.......... is this common among children with Aspergers...... Just curious what others experiences with this have been!

Yes, however, as the other posters pointed out, we frequently have a scatter that shows high verbal IQ's and low performance IQ's, much as in NVLD.

glynny48
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2011, 8:37 am

That is so him there was a 20 point difference between the two although both were above average.