Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 3:01 pm

So, I realize a lot of people on here have kids or siblings that don't really have much of a social life or don't seem to fit in. I wouldn't dare have J bird come unto Wrong Planet, only simply for the fact that this is my comfort place. That and I barely know if J bird would even post as often as I do, he's really into his interest. But shows mild interest in what I do here.

So I was considering, since we all live miles away I'm sure. That there may be some way our siblings or kids could connect. If we I don't know had a meetup style forum for our kids or siblings, so they could talk amongst themselves.

A forum actually made for er younger audiences. That include their interest and such.

Its a rough idea, trust me. And I'm not trying to be a creeper.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 3:21 pm

Wrong Planet has a sub forum for Adolescents and also it has Kid's Crater but Wrong Planet isn't the only place. I have heard people discuss Aspies For Freedom. I popped over there just now to see if they have a forum for young posters and they do- Youth Forum. There are probably other already existing Asperger support sites with subforums for younger posters.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 4:42 pm

But its only a Youth forum spot.

The site isn't holey existant or made for youth.

Its just a simple spot for them to go, but there isn't a specific forum built and designed for them.

A kind of WP for younger audience.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 8:44 pm

I've found that kids don't really use our kid's forum. Probably because thoughtful conversations simply are not how kids interact with each other. My 10 year old daughter and her friends email each other all the time, but it's all silly stuff, and rarely more than 7 nonesense words. In person, the conversations are play centered and jabber jabber. She'll interact with kids on places like Wizard 101, but that, too, is silly. It seems to be how kids relate and connect.

My AS son ... totally not interested. Except for on-line games. Texts with his friends but won't read his email.

So. I don't know to help connect your brother with others like him. Any gathering place for kids would have to be heavy on the games and fun stuff, and light on the "make conversation." That may not seem like it would serve much connection but, for kids, that's how they do it.

It's also safer for kids that they don't make conversation on the internet, in general, so I'm kind of wary of changing the pattern.

Although ... there could be an article section with very short quotes and articles, where the kids can post short respones like "I relate to that!" or "it's not like that for me." That would give them the feeling that there are others out there like them without them having to expose themselves, if that makes sense.

Hmmmm ... that could be an interesting project. A small play oriented companion to WP.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:03 pm

Um...wow...okay.

Ya know going to ask a mod to delete this thread.