RE: Kids w/ Classic Autism, PDD-NOS & Speech Delays

Page 107 of 116 [ 1849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 116  Next

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 6:35 pm

Sri Lanka won by an innings and 6 runs. The Windies seem to go into every test series determine to log at least ONE innings defeat per series. :(

Herath is the spawn of the Devil himself. Although, I should very glad when a spinner - and not a fast bowler - takes all the glory, for a change.

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 3:49 am

HisMom wrote:
Maybe I am misunderstanding the paper but inflexibility / rigidity in thought and action is a hallmark of autism, so it is not surprising that the individuals with autism struggled when consistent patterns suddenly changed ?

Yes that's true. But I long suspected that repetitive therapy has some bad side effects but I guess it depends on the child and some children can still benefit from this type of therapy

HisMom wrote:
Don't lose heart over the Ashes, although I agree that your boys didn't travel 6000 miles to make friends. They were there to win the Ashes :). Quite frankly, cricket is my sanity saver. The goings-on at Galle have kept my mind off serious problems that I am avoiding facing (for as long as possible).

Yes, eventually we all have to bite the bullet. I only wish there were more teams that are competitive. At the moment it's really only Australia with the UK and South Africa occasionally producing good form.

HisMom wrote:
How is your daughter doing ??

She had her piano concert and did quite well. Played a Gershwin tune.
She's also become quite obsessed with building lego. It's strange because she used to ignore lego when she was younger. It illustrates the fact that sometimes if you expose your child to something they may not like it at first but down the track they are familiar with the activity and perhaps it clicks...(that's a lego joke so please pardon the pun)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 3:53 am

HisMom wrote:
Sri Lanka won by an innings and 6 runs. The Windies seem to go into every test series determine to log at least ONE innings defeat per series. :(

Herath is the spawn of the Devil himself. Although, I should very glad when a spinner - and not a fast bowler - takes all the glory, for a change.

To be honest, whenever the match is played on local subcontinent conditions you have to take the result with a grain of salt....

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2015, 7:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Yes that's true. But I long suspected that repetitive therapy has some bad side effects but I guess it depends on the child and some children can still benefit from this type of therapy

Frankly, my son did *not* make a tonne of progress with DTT. At some point around May this year, I realized that the ABA was actually counter-productive, so when that combined with our move made the ABA disposable, I was glad to let the entire team go. He seems so much happier now, and that makes ME happier. I do sometimes worry that I am not doing enough for / with him, but as ASDMom told me on another thread, I'd drive myself bonkers trying to make every second of every day noteworthy / productive for him. I am not productive half the time myself, so it's a tad hypocritical of me to expect / want him to be !

cyberdad wrote:
She had her piano concert and did quite well. Played a Gershwin tune.
She's also become quite obsessed with building lego. It's strange because she used to ignore lego when she was younger. It illustrates the fact that sometimes if you expose your child to something they may not like it at first but down the track they are familiar with the activity and perhaps it clicks...(that's a lego joke so please pardon the pun)

Wow, cool. So that means she has great fingering skills ? Can she type now ? We are starting to teach him to type to give him a way of expressing himself, especially as the apraxia makes it difficult for him to talk / write with his hands, and we are thinking of starting by teaching him to play a keyboard first (as music is a huge reinforcer that he never seems to satiate on). How long has she been taking music lessons ?

My son has always been surrounded by legos of all sizes, and never once shown the slightest interest in them, but maybe there's hope, after all. What does she build ? Legos can be a very good medium for creative expression also, so I am really hoping that he takes them, too.

cyberdad wrote:
To be honest, whenever the match is played on local subcontinent conditions you have to take the result with a grain of salt....

Match fixed, you think ? I am not a fan of the SL team, in fact, I was praying that they would be eliminated no later than the quarter finals of the World Cup, but I really do think that the Windies have just degenerated into a bunch of incompetents. How the mighty have fallen ! :(

cyberdad wrote:

I only wish there were more teams that are competitive. At the moment it's really only Australia with the UK and South Africa occasionally producing good form

Hey, what about your neighbours ? The ones you faced off with in the World Cup Finals ? And Bangladesh ? I think Bangladesh and Ireland are the "next-gen" teams and to be watched closely - tonnes of talent in both teams, and I suspect that they are going to be forces to reckon with soon.

India, Pakistan, the Windies, and Sri Lanka are all quite lacklustre .. the lot of them dun and doosted, their time is up, unfortunately. As for the Proteas, I really really really wish they'd buck up and show their mettle. I really do think Abraham was the man, but his team consistently failed the poor guy. Wonder if Amla will have better luck ? As for du Plessis - does he strike you as rather "strange" (for lack of a better word) ? There is something very odd about du Plessis but I am unable to explain what exactly.

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 3:20 am

HisMom wrote:
Frankly, my son did *not* make a tonne of progress with DTT. At some point around May this year, I realized that the ABA was actually counter-productive, so when that combined with our move made the ABA disposable, I was glad to let the entire team go. He seems so much happier now, and that makes ME happier. I do sometimes worry that I am not doing enough for / with him, but as ASDMom told me on another thread, I'd drive myself bonkers trying to make every second of every day noteworthy / productive for him. I am not productive half the time myself, so it's a tad hypocritical of me to expect / want him to be !

I don't know much about DTT but ABA was unproductive as was speech therapy. I think there may be some benefit when the child is very young but from the time my daughter turned 5 it was all becoming a counterproductive as she found it highly irritating

HisMom wrote:
Wow, cool. So that means she has great fingering skills ? Can she type now ? We are starting to teach him to type to give him a way of expressing himself, especially as the apraxia makes it difficult for him to talk / write with his hands, and we are thinking of starting by teaching him to play a keyboard first (as music is a huge reinforcer that he never seems to satiate on). How long has she been taking music lessons ?

We had to force her at first but by the time she was 6 she took to piano and actually enjoys performing in front of an audience. In her early years she used to get a little overexcited but now she does the whole routine of waiting her turn to play. She has played for her music school as well as the school concert. I would strongly encourage your son to play on the keyboard. A lot of ASD kids take to music.

HisMom wrote:
Match fixed, you think ? I am not a fan of the SL team, in fact, I was praying that they would be eliminated no later than the quarter finals of the World Cup, but I really do think that the Windies have just degenerated into a bunch of incompetents. How the mighty have fallen ! :(

It's just matches played on those wickets are conducive to spin which then favors the locals

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 12:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:

We had to force her at first but by the time she was 6 she took to piano and actually enjoys performing in front of an audience. In her early years she used to get a little overexcited but now she does the whole routine of waiting her turn to play. She has played for her music school as well as the school concert. I would strongly encourage your son to play on the keyboard. A lot of ASD kids take to music.

We have a keyboard at home, and he seems pretty resistant to play it. He has whole body dyspraxia, but there is also that motivation / concentration piece making a bad situation worse. But no harm trying, especially as he loves classical music. Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nacht Musik" and Vivaldi's "Summer" are his favourite pieces and it's delightful to watch his face just LIGHTING up when these are played.

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 12:25 pm

and this is what I think of having a separate forum...

"Being around other autistic people, it's non-verbal.
A silent recognition. It's very powerful for me and it doesn't
matter where they are on the spectrum either. High-functioning,
low-functioning, I have this sense of a deep connection and whenever I am
around autistic people, I am reminded it's ok…it's difficult, it's been difficult
but it isn't really my fault that this is the way I am." - Gregory Yates

my son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS originally and I have never had an issue posting on the parent's forum...

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2015, 12:32 pm

And this is just for the "lulz"... nothing to do with autism or PDD or Asperger's. Thought you would all love this ! :)

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 7:10 pm

Have had some trouble with my son taking his Lamotrigine pills, but we're over that and he seems to have worked out he can swallow them down with a drink of water so I think we're away and can start to ramp up. Up to 3 x 5mg pills now, hard to know if it's making a difference, it is a very low dose still, but..I think there already is a bit more focus. Could be imagining it though.

Got the notes back from the Peadiatrician re the EEG findings ""There was abnormal background with persistent beta and increased theta activity. There were spikes and poly spikes seen independently in both the right and left hemisphere in the frontal temporal area."
I translate as "A Bit of a hot mess".

As for Cricket, well we have our tour of Australia with 3 x tests about to start, Ponting doesn't give us a chance. Probably right but I think they will be better than the Windies at least. I've gone off cricket a bit what with Chris Cairns being a low down no good rotten cheating lieing scumbag. :evil:

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 7:31 pm

nostromo wrote:
Have had some trouble with my son taking his Lamotrigine pills, but we're over that and he seems to have worked out he can swallow them down with a drink of water so I think we're away and can start to ramp up. Up to 3 x 5mg pills now, hard to know if it's making a difference, it is a very low dose still, but..I think there already is a bit more focus. Could be imagining it though.

Got the notes back from the Peadiatrician re the EEG findings ""There was abnormal background with persistent beta and increased theta activity. There were spikes and poly spikes seen independently in both the right and left hemisphere in the frontal temporal area."
I translate as "A Bit of a hot mess".

As for Cricket, well we have our tour of Australia with 3 x tests about to start, Ponting doesn't give us a chance. Probably right but I think they will be better than the Windies at least. I've gone off cricket a bit what with Chris Cairns being a low down no good rotten cheating lieing scumbag. :evil:

Interesting. When Lalit Modi made "spot fixing" accusations against Chris Cairns back in 2012, Cairns sued him for libel, and won. Justice Bean also allowed an injuction against Modi, to prevent the allegations from being repeated. But now MacCallum is saying the same thing, claiming that a criminal conspiracy to match fix was hatched on a Bangladesh tour bus ?

Oooh, this is going to be fun - especially knowing Lalit Modi's personality and the sh1t fests that he is more than capable of ... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Modi vs Cairns... more interesting than even an Australia vs South Africa clash.

Glad you are ramping up the dosage for young Master James and already seeing changes. Good for you.

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 7:47 pm

The funniest part of the testimony was Lou Vincent talking about the match he was tying to get out for 10 like Cairns told him to, but how hard it was to get out. He charged down the pitch intending to miss the ball and be stumped and accidentally hit it for six when the ball deviated deviated. He panicked and then tried to edge the next ball to slips and it ran away for four. He scored 28 while trying to get out for 10, Cairns was furious and later after the match threatened Vincent with a cricket bat.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 7:53 pm

nostromo wrote:
The funniest part of the testimony was Lou Vincent talking about the match he was tying to get out for 10 like Cairns told him to, but how hard it was to get out. He charged down the pitch intending to miss the ball and be stumped and accidentally hit it for six when the ball deviated deviated. He panicked and then tried to edge the next ball to slips and it ran away for four. He scored 28 while trying to get out for 10, Cairns was furious and later after the match threatened Vincent with a cricket bat.

See, this is WHY I absolutely detest IPL and won't spend a paisa watching their matches. Idiot morons bringing in all these foreigners to play in the league when they should bloody be focusing on identifying, developing and nurturing local talent that can then represent India at the global level. This is why Indian cricket is the ABSOLUTE pits.

Stating all this is also why I got banned from the Chennai Super Kings facebook page. :(

No one likes to hear the truth. Especially not the sh1theads who run IPL.

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 8:33 pm

HisMom wrote:
nostromo wrote:

See, this is WHY I absolutely detest IPL and won't spend a paisa watching their matches. Idiot morons bringing in all these foreigners to play in the league when they should bloody be focusing on identifying, developing and nurturing local talent that can then represent India at the global level. This is why Indian cricket is the ABSOLUTE pits.

Stating all this is also why I got banned from the Chennai Super Kings facebook page. :(

No one likes to hear the truth. Especially not the sh1theads who run IPL.

Totally, the same thing has happened to French Rugby. All these foreigners are playing in their top tier now, and hey presto what do you know France gets put to the sword by the All Blacks 62 - 13 in the RWC quarters because they are not developing enough quality players domestically. One or two foreigners per team is good it brings in different ideas and playing styles, but too many and you ruin your own national squad. Plus who wants to see a large bunch of foreigners playing in your comp. Two should be the max limit, including coaches IMHO.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 5:21 am

HisMom wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

We have a keyboard at home, and he seems pretty resistant to play it. He has whole body dyspraxia, but there is also that motivation / concentration piece making a bad situation worse. But no harm trying, especially as he loves classical music. Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nacht Musik" and Vivaldi's "Summer" are his favourite pieces and it's delightful to watch his face just LIGHTING up when these are played.

That's brilliant!! if he likes listening to classical music then that's already a step in the right direction :D

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 3:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:

That's brilliant!! if he likes listening to classical music then that's already a step in the right direction :D

Yes it is. I just wish I knew how to go from there ! !

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2015, 3:52 am

My son has been very happy recently. Happy all the time, as in sitting there smiling for no good reason, running around the house happy. Stimming less too.
Could be unrelated but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the drug he is on as it has mood stabilizing effects evidently.