RE: Kids w/ Classic Autism, PDD-NOS & Speech Delays

Page 1 of 116 [ 1849 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 116  Next

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 8:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The moderator has been kind enough to point out that "Aspergers and Autism are the same thing" so I have asked they change web banner to;

WrongPlanet.net
"The online resource and community for Autism"

I've thought that too but some people are funny about/attached to the Asperger's label, I wonder how that would go over.

Bauhauswife
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2011, 8:32 pm

Washi wrote:
I've only had one minor incident of that nature and I think he was really just trying get it off his hands because now when he accidentally sticks his hands down there to scratch an itch and finds more down there than he bargained for he goes to me and puts his hands in my face. :eew: Thankfully that hasn't happened in a while.

If you're lucky they do it once, are completely disgusted with the experience and they never do it again. We've had several incidents, but I think we've developed a pretty good strategy for limiting access to the diaper region....for now anyway.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 8:42 pm

Bauhauswife wrote:
Washi wrote:
I've only had one minor incident of that nature and I think he was really just trying get it off his hands because now when he accidentally sticks his hands down there to scratch an itch and finds more down there than he bargained for he goes to me and puts his hands in my face. :eew: Thankfully that hasn't happened in a while.

If you're lucky they do it once, are completely disgusted with the experience and they never do it again. We've had several incidents, but I think we've developed a pretty good strategy for limiting access to the diaper region....for now anyway.

Yeah, I still make mine wear footie jammies most nights and did overalls for a while but his Dad likes to change him out of those things sometimes because he thinks he'll be too hot or uncomfortable or unfashionable. :roll: He does have a new thing though that we have to look out for where he'll make a quick adjustment down there before he pees so that when he goes it shoots straight up and out of his diaper. Never a dull moment. When I was about 3 I didn't want to leave my room to use the potty so I thought it would be a good I idea to pull out my bottom dresser drawer and go there. Took my Mom a bit to figure out where the stink was coming from.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 8:59 pm

My daughter was originally assessed as PDD-NOS at 3 1/2 but officially dx'd at 8 as AS. Her delays were physical, not verbal though. Still think its a great idea.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 9:06 pm

There is a sticky thread for nonverbal autistics, which includes most all communication problems. Might as well be one here.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2011, 5:55 pm

With all due respect to the concepts and needs being discussed, I hope that no changes are made to WP in terms of their Asperger focus. There are lots of online forums for parents of kids on the spectrum, but very few that are tailored to Aspies and their parents. I cannot go into a forum where discussions are being had regarding classic autism, and find people who "get" what I'm talking about the way I can here.

We all need a space. This is the one for Aspergers. Others are welcome, but I really hope WP never loses its Asperger focus.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 7:20 pm

Caitlin wrote:
With all due respect to the concepts and needs being discussed, I hope that no changes are made to WP in terms of their Asperger focus. There are lots of online forums for parents of kids on the spectrum, but very few that are tailored to Aspies and their parents. I cannot go into a forum where discussions are being had regarding classic autism, and find people who "get" what I'm talking about the way I can here.

We all need a space. This is the one for Aspergers. Others are welcome, but I really hope WP never loses its Asperger focus.

This is a space for Autism including Asperger's as per the website's heading. Also if you have Asperger's traits and you have children (especially if your partner has spectrum traits) there is a greater risk that those children will be autistic. I may have never sought out an official diagnosis, but I have a less profoundly affected family member who has and we both have autistic sons. Autistic children are an Asperger's issue.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2011, 8:19 pm

I don't disagree with you washi, that wasn't really my point.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 8:52 pm

Well my point was adding a space for parents of autistic children who don't have Asperger's does not take away from the site's focus on Asperger's. It would however make it easier for both parties to find posts they can relate to.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2011, 9:04 pm

I was responding to the discussion about changing the banner to eliminate Aspergers. I think that would be regrettable. I understand and appreciate the reasons why the DSM is changing, but I still believe strongly that there is a need in the community for parents to have a way to find resources and support specific to Aspie traits.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 9:50 pm

I sort of agree with that only because I know it would upset a lot of people to take it down, but I think the "and" should be switched to "including" - the use of "and" implies that Asperger's is a condition separate from autism when it isn't.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 12:37 am

Washi wrote:
Well my point was adding a space for parents of autistic children who don't have Asperger's does not take away from the site's focus on Asperger's. It would however make it easier for both parties to find posts they can relate to.

I guess I don't see why people can't discuss kids with low functioning autism right here?

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:13 am

psychohist wrote:
Washi wrote:

I guess I don't see why people can't discuss kids with low functioning autism right here?

My child isn't considered low functioning, nevertheless the problem I've been encountering is when a parent of a child who doesn't have Asperger's makes a thread for support they get a whole lot of irrelevant advice centered around Asperger's syndrome and the threads get railroaded spurring on more non-applicable commenting. And it feels rude to ignore people and it gets really depressing and aggravating to have to keep explaining to people that you're child can't talk, or is still in diapers or whatever the case may be over and over again even if it was already stated in the original post or elsewhere in the thread.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2011, 1:42 am

I can totally empathize with washi's sentiments because the reverse has been true for me, when trying to discuss my son who has AS, on a more generalized autism forum. I give up because our experiences are too divergent in terms of garnering appropriate support, advice, and guidance. That's why I cherish the Aspie focus here, and why I understand the desire to stake out a thread or spot for discussions of other types of autism.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 2:05 am

Parents of more profoundly affected children are a minority here and our voices get lost amidst the AS chatter. I imagine many such parents didn't feel comfortable here and left. Maybe there would be more if there was a place for them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 5:01 am

Caitlin wrote:
With all due respect to the concepts and needs being discussed, I hope that no changes are made to WP in terms of their Asperger focus. There are lots of online forums for parents of kids on the spectrum, but very few that are tailored to Aspies and their parents. I cannot go into a forum where discussions are being had regarding classic autism, and find people who "get" what I'm talking about the way I can here. We all need a space. This is the one for Aspergers. Others are welcome, but I really hope WP never loses its Asperger focus.

You are basing this entire focus on AS on the basis of a research paper written by a Hans Asperger in 1944.