I need advice about a gag reflex...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

amandarae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2011, 11:37 pm

Hi guys! My son is 12, and we have always struggled with a gag reflex, but lately it seems to be worse. He is gagging on things that he typically does not have any issues eating. He seems to have pretty good control of it, but it just breaks my heart watching him go thru it. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can help? I appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks!

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 11:42 pm

Take it for the total non-medical professional advice that it is by have you had his tonsils checked? I know they don't remove kids' tonsils as routinely as they used to but I think there are cases where it really is necessary.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2011, 12:46 am

I don't know about his gag issue, but my kiddo used to gag ALL the time. We've recently worked through it when we've been working on anxiety. He would get a bit too much in his mouth, or not like the texture and freak out and gag. While working through other anxiety issues, it has helped him control these freak out moments too.

Not sure if that is helpful, just our experience. I guess it would be good to try to figure out exactly what causes the gagging?

LornaDoone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

He needs to be seen by a doctor. Could be a food allergy. Could be a mental thing with eating. Could be several things. But you need to rule out a medical reason first.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

I gag easily too but not too sure if it`s from certain foods. Some foods are hard for me to even swallow because of the texture.

Pokerwife1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

My son is 11 and he does this as well. He says it's a texture thing. He tells me he wants to try new things but that it is completely out of his control. I don't know what to say to help you but thought it might help to know you are not alone.