Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm

Thanks for sharing the news - I've thought of you an P Boy often.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 11:57 pm

I used to be against medication. Now I realise my daughter can't function without Ritalin. Also thinking of Lovan for her anxiety.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 12:00 pm

Sorry about the Tom Cruise comment.

I get frustrated by the medication situation because meds have saved my life. My sister died of leukemia and my brother had to have a brain surgery. I get upset when people knock medical intervention. The day I posted that comment (which was immature) my brother had told me he didn't believe in autism and didn't think I needed medication.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 1:20 pm

Hey, we should all thank you for bringing this thread back - I know I'd been wondering how things turned out.

There are all kinds of opinions about medication over here in the parents section, and for that matter all kinds of opinions about autism - but I think we all agree, it's the affected parent's or person's decision, and they are the ones whose opinion matters.

Take care of yourselves.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Sorry about the Tom Cruise comment.

I get frustrated by the medication situation because meds have saved my life. My sister died of leukemia and my brother had to have a brain surgery. I get upset when people knock medical intervention. The day I posted that comment (which was immature) my brother had told me he didn't believe in autism and didn't think I needed medication.

It is difficult for most NTs to even start to comprehend how other peoples brains and bodies work differently. It's easier to blame the person instead. People can change, but a diagnosis stays the same no matter what. I think they wish that you had some sort of control over it. I hope he is able to cope with this, and find some sort of acceptance. Doesn't make it any less hurtful, though. It is amazing how much other people there are to support you, when you don't have the support of a close family member it is still extremely hurtful. :(

My husband is bipolar. His parents still think its a phase. Yeah....ok. Family can suck like that sometimes.

JHenn
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Oct 2011, 6:13 am

I'm with you on the not medicating. 100%. Since I was 8 years old they've been suggesting I've had everything from PTSD, anxiety, deppression, bi-polar. I was put on so many drugs I can't count them all on 2 hands and 2 feet. I was basically a zombie that couldn't function. I'd just be half asleep and drooling sitting up on the couch and I was expected to raise a child that way. No thanks. Been doing it drug free and it's not always easy but at least I'm awake to be in my son's life.

Oh and Lithium is some SERIOUS stuff. That's the "big guns" they break out when they really have to, and it causes a ton of damage to your liver so they have to check your liver every few weeks. Don't let anyone tell you it's safe and it's no big deal.

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

If you can find a good homeopath, you could potentially keep away from the drugs.

SC_2010
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2011, 6:45 pm

JHenn wrote:
I'm with you on the not medicating. 100%. Since I was 8 years old they've been suggesting I've had everything from PTSD, anxiety, deppression, bi-polar. I was put on so many drugs I can't count them all on 2 hands and 2 feet. I was basically a zombie that couldn't function. I'd just be half asleep and drooling sitting up on the couch and I was expected to raise a child that way. No thanks. Been doing it drug free and it's not always easy but at least I'm awake to be in my son's life.

Oh and Lithium is some SERIOUS stuff. That's the "big guns" they break out when they really have to, and it causes a ton of damage to your liver so they have to check your liver every few weeks. Don't let anyone tell you it's safe and it's no big deal.

If someone is truly bipolar, lithium is NOT the big guns. It is a typical medication that is very useful with little side effects. They do check your blood to make sure you are at the right dosage. If you are bipolar, you need to be medicated. End of story.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 9:09 pm

I'm on lithium for OCD... I've had bloodwork once in the last year (my levels are so low they don't much worry about them). I have no side effects. Even if you do get routine blood work, it's more quarterly than every few weeks.

There are way stronger drugs out there than lithium. Lithium is a salt, found in your body already.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

SC_2010 wrote:
It is difficult for most NTs to even start to comprehend how other peoples brains and bodies work differently.

I am too autistic. Every child in this house has some form mild or not. Just P Boy was combined with bipolar.

@Tambourine: It's okay I understand. See for me I just scared for my brothers. I love them and I do whatever to god I can do for them. I care a lot for them.