Kindergartener be underchallenged at school? Skip a grade?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Momofboys1980
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2011, 7:28 am

He is mainstreamed in Kindergarten and has classic ASD but is very high functioning. He is speech delayed but one of the younger 5 year olds in his class being born in June.
He is in the top of his class and I wonder if he is just bored and underchallenged when he is disruptive and not wanting to do his work?
Has anyone here ever considered skipping a grade for their child? Would it improve his behavior if my DS is challenged more and would move to 1st grade after this semester is over? Or would this just be a bad idea altogether?

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

The inability to focus on tasks that do not fascinate and compel is a hallmark of AS. In those subjects that hold his interest, he will always be ahead of his peers; in those that do not, he will always struggle. Honestly, I don't know that what grade he's peered with will affect that much one way or another.

superjake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2011, 12:33 am

You might want to enroll your kid in a residential boarding school. These boarding schools are about more than just giving teens a sense of focused education. They are valuable places where teens who are dealing with severe behavioral and emotional problems can get the discipline and personal attention they need to turn their lives around.

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 12:35 am

superjake wrote:
You might want to enroll your kid in a residential boarding school. These boarding schools are about more than just giving teens a sense of focused education. They are valuable places where teens who are dealing with severe behavioral and emotional problems can get the discipline and personal attention they need to turn their lives around.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 8:13 pm

Wrong Post Thread move on, not sure where you going, good luck

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2011, 3:50 am

Momofboys1980 wrote:
He is mainstreamed in Kindergarten and has classic ASD but is very high functioning. He is speech delayed but one of the younger 5 year olds in his class being born in June.
He is in the top of his class and I wonder if he is just bored and underchallenged when he is disruptive and not wanting to do his work?
Has anyone here ever considered skipping a grade for their child? Would it improve his behavior if my DS is challenged more and would move to 1st grade after this semester is over? Or would this just be a bad idea altogether?

Any input is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I think he would be less bored if moved to a higher grade and it would be good. You have to consider his social skills. How would he cope with older kids?
I was also a gifted girl and I was bored at school until I began High school. Scientific high school in Italy is challenging enough even if you're gifted...
I was also delayed in my social skills and when I grew older (about 11 yo) I began being bullied.
This was difficult to manage for me and I think that if I were younger than my classmates it would worsen the situation...

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

We have two threads going here and since the other is longer, it is probably more effective for future responses to go there.

Should I get them merged if possible?