behaviour comparison girls v's boys ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Annmaria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2011, 10:27 am

nterested to know how ASD effects boys and girls is it very different. I know each case is unique but there is common traits.

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

i'm no help. All of the social issues that help get boys identified, my daughter showed. She's persistant to a fault...can be agressive....has loud/angry/sometimes violent meltdowns, has somewhat noisy ticks/compulsive behaviors. Was always interested in odd things...video games, anime, science and the universe, how things got here...now history and religion have become major factors in our lives. She's better at math than language. I just found out a few weeks ago when she visited my own classroom that they had a book called "the Universe"( we have the same book) in her classroom when she was younger and that she read it every day.

She doesn't fit the boy/girl stereotypes. And the past two years for the first time ever, she's been interested in looking the least bit girly. She's just started exploring her feminine wiles/whiles?

:)

Gnomey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2011, 3:41 pm

It was somewhat hard to spot it in my daughter, who is 3 years old, as she just appears excessively shy and was very busy. We actually took her in for ADHD because of her inattention. But when the psychologist went to observe her in the classroom she saw autism. Like she never talks in class and avoids people and really gets scared if she got singled out in class. I don't think she has friends but she just does do side to side play with kids. In school she is not disruptive but she does get up and do her own thing during circle time. She also is known to run away from the class when they walked from the classroom to the playroom.

She has some sensory issues like she refuses to have a bath and she wants to wear nothing but Tshirt dresses with a tutu on the bottom with leggings. The tutu reminds her of being a princess. Her obsession is princesses and fairies which are normal interests for little girls. She has princess and fairy dolls but she rarely does imaginative play with them she mostly just arranges them. She also was so obsessed with Princess Pea on PBSKids that she taught herself to read playing Super Why computer games.