Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JHenn
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Hi everyone!

I debated whether or not this belongs here or in another area of the forum. If it really doesn't belong here please let me know.

Let me preface the question by stating if you had told me a couple years ago that I would be considering buying an MP3 player I would have told you that you're nuts! It blows my mind that in this day and age kids as young as 10 years old have cell phones. I got my first cell phone when I was 19 and it was a crappy pre-paid one I bought myself. I know, I know MP3 players didn't exist when I was 6 but still.
The reason this is even a thought is that aside from my son's behavior problems at school (Which are getting MUCH better by the way. At a recent IEP the team admitted that their methods just didn't work on him and they would need to use a different approach. So far their new approach consists mainly of keeping a better eye on him and intervening BEFORE he has a meltdown. Seems like common sense to me but I do respect that they admitted their way wasn't working and are doing something different. It's obviously working.) he's having issues on the bus.
Unfortunately he's the first kid picked up in the morning, and the last kid dropped off so he's on the bus for an hour in the morning, and an hour in the afternoon. That's a long time for anyone, but being stuck on a bus for a hour listening to other kids yell and scream. I've taken long road trips before with him and he does just fine but adding even one yelling child can definately be too much and the van that takes him to school seats 8.
His teacher suggested giving him an ipod to listen to on the bus to drown out the sounds of the other kids. I do have 3 ipods (I know, I'm a hypocrite, haha) an ipod touch, a nano and a shuffle. I was considering giving him the shuffle but it requires a different kind of plug to put it into the computer and add music/charge it and I've lost the one that comes with it. If I can buy a new one great. If not does anyone have any suggestions for a kid-friendly type of MP3 player that would be easy for him to use, durable in case/when he drops it?
Also, suggestions for music to put on it would be helpful.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

I'd go with the shuffle, search for "ipod shuffle cord" on Amazon or Ebay and you should be able to find what you need. I'd also go with a snap-fit hard case or silicone gel case for it. My 12yr old still has his ipod touch in a hard case he received 2 years ago for Christmas, he's dropped it countless times (and I've seen how easily they can break 8O) , his case is even chipped, but so far, no broken glass.

I started him out with a cheap Sandisk in a gel case when he was around 5.

As for music, start with what he likes, and go from there. Good luck. :wink:

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 9:00 pm

None!

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

JHenn
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2011, 3:45 am

shrox wrote:
None!

Believe me, I'm with you on that!

buuuuut at the same time, I can see how being able to put the headphones on and listen to music could make that 2 hours every day less stressful and loud for him. I try to "put myself in his shoes" whenever I can and if twice a day for one hour I was confined to a small space and forced to endure something that made me severely uncomfortable I'd probably throw an even bigger fit about it than him, so I do feel for the kid. I'm not really the kind of person who'd give an expensive electronic device to a child either, which is why I'm either going to give him the shuffle I never use or find an inexpensive kid one. He's not exactly getting a $300 ipod, haha