Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mom77
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2011, 11:31 pm

Military service is mandatory where we live.
My 16 year old daughter was recently diagnosed, and I have no doubt that her 18 year old brother also has aspergers.
According to the psych who did the evaluation, we all show traits of aspergers, myself included. No surprise there. Wish we had figured this out sooner.

When my son was in elementary school, the teachers would always tell me that he will never initiate a fight, but if he felt threatened, his reaction would be out of proportion.
He's a very good boy, but his judgement still seems a bit "off"
He also seems lost in time and space a bit.
He absolutely refuses to do an evaluation.

I am obviously concerned. Anyone have experience with this??
He is being drafted in March.
thanks!

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 12:27 am

WHAT?!
I never knew there was drafts still going on!
Where do we live? The soviet union?!

I just wiki'd this and it says there is no enforced conscription in the U.S.

mom77

23 Dec 2011, 12:33 am

:)
we don't live in the US, although I'm originally from New York

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 5:16 am

mom77 wrote:
:)
we don't live in the US, although I'm originally from New York

I believe most of the draft dodgers from your part of the world end up working at the malls in my part of the world trying to sell me things such as the "Rosetta Stone" language program and dead sea beauty products.

If they got out of it I'm sure he can. However if he wants to serve you should respect that.

mom77

23 Dec 2011, 5:47 am

lol!

exactly!
he does want to serve, and I respect and support that
however, I'm just concerned that his judgement might be a bit off and endanger himself and others
I guess my real question is, does anyone know of Aspie men who successfully and safely served in whatever country they might be from? And if so, what, if any, issues arose?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm

mom77 wrote:
lol!

exactly!
he does want to serve, and I respect and support that
however, I'm just concerned that his judgement might be a bit off and endanger himself and others
I guess my real question is, does anyone know of Aspie men who successfully and safely served in whatever country they might be from? And if so, what, if any, issues arose?

Most certainly people with AS have served in the military. You know your son best but I don't think having AS means someone will have poor judgement. I think some individuals with AS have excellent judgement in certain situations and I don't think you will find large differences in judgement between those with AS and those without it with respect to most situations.

The difference lies in how those with AS make their decisions. I believe a person without AS is more likely to weigh things on a less altruistic scale while someone with AS is more likely to go "by the book", the latter generally being more desirable in the military.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2011, 7:39 am

My grandfather saw heavy combat during World War II, and he was very likely an Aspie. (He was ultimately diagnosed with various mental health issues and personality disorders.) He saw heavy combat and was a decorated war hero.

Unfortunately, serving in active combat did not have a positive effect on him. He had horrible PTSD after returning from the war.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

mom77

24 Dec 2011, 11:09 am

thanks folks
you're calming me down

Beqi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

My husband has served successfully and proudly for 9 years. He is an asset to his Submarine. He has a position of great responsibility. His Aspergers has never been an issue. It has been an asset to his focusing on problems and ability to see new ways of solving things. He has received special commendations during his service for his unique solutions to problems. I hope things work out well for your son.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 12:21 pm

do you mind me asking what country you are talking about?

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 12:38 pm

do you mind me asking what country you are talking about?

oops sorry double post my bad.......

Last edited by Ravenclawgurl on 26 Dec 2011, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mom77

26 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm

Israel

mom77

26 Dec 2011, 12:51 pm

Beqi wrote:
My husband has served successfully and proudly for 9 years. He is an asset to his Submarine. He has a position of great responsibility. His Aspergers has never been an issue. It has been an asset to his focusing on problems and ability to see new ways of solving things. He has received special commendations during his service for his unique solutions to problems. I hope things work out well for your son.

thank you! best of luck to your husband as well

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 1:22 pm

When my youngest son joined the US Army, I had similar fears. When he was a baby, I had wondered if he might be autistic or something. He had some odd behaviors from the start. After having raised him and knowing what I know about Asperger's, I'd guess he also carries a few of the genes but he does all right, Like your son, he's never been one to pick fights. He also didn't have a lot of friends.

I had my reservations but it was his choice. He made the cut, which isn't easy these days, and off he went. I chose to support him any way I could, with my fingers crossed behind my back. I sent him twice-weekly letters during boot-camp because I remember my brother sharing with me how difficult it is emotionally. My mommy letters were just that. Coddling and encouraging with news from home. I kept my fears to myself.

He made it through boot camp with flying colors; one of the top 10 marksman out of over 80 troops. He's been to Afghanistan for one tour; he's home, recently married, and training for an anywhere-in-the-World, first-response team. (Just great...)

He's been the butt of jokes and some of the guys still make fun of his ways, and he doesn't always get it, but at the wedding I got the feeling that any one of those guys would go to the mat for him. They tell me he is very capable in combat and big enough to carry 3 men, for which 3 of them are very grateful.

My son has grown in ways I didn't expect. The Army really rounded him out nicely. His Dad ran out on us when he was just 6, so in a lot of ways, the Army did what his father refused and showed him how to be a man. I am supremely proud of the man he's become.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 8:23 pm

WhiteWidow wrote:
WHAT?!

Believe it or not, some countries do require military service once you reach a certain age. Taiwan, for example.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:06 pm

Wreck-Gar wrote:
WhiteWidow wrote:
WHAT?!

Believe it or not, some countries do require military service once you reach a certain age. Taiwan, for example.

Well, I learned something new today. I knew of a few, but LOTS of nations have mandatory conscription.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_service