Please sign this petition against teachers in Mercer County

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

http://www.change.org/petitions/end-abu ... y-kentucky?

I wouldn't ordinarily bring this here, but I think it's time for parents of autistic kids to rally around the way our children are treated in schools. This individual situation is an amplified version of what I read here over and over; I think this is an opportunity to educate the nation on the appropriate treatment of autistic kids.

So, please - don't just sign the petition. Sign it, and let people know that your experiences, sadly, are not much different from the experience of this family. Explain to the world why we need better advocates, better understanding, and access to the free and appropriate education that we are all supposed to get.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 2:17 pm

Did you know that there is a NATIONAL bill to do the same in Senate committee now? This petition is important but don't stop there. Get in touch with your congress folks and tell them to support S.2020. There's a thread over in the politics section but I don't know if anybody is doing anything. This is vital. The school adminstrators association is fighting against the bill. I can go get the links if you like.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

seekingtruth
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2011, 2:22 pm

signed. broke my heart. :cry:

You are very likely an Aspie

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 2:22 pm

Please do (though I'm going there as well) I think being visible politically is critically important to our kids.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 2:57 pm

I occasionally get emails from that site including one for this story today, already signed. Makes me sick how often I see stories like this.

azurecrayon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 3:47 pm

HORRIBLE.

and this is the PERFECT place to bring things like this. i cannot believe some of the ignorant comments on the online news sites about this story.

i can not see my sons teacher ever telling his aide to do this. even if she did, i am sure his aide would refuse to do so. we are extremely lucky to have found a great understanding teacher and an aide who adores our son, but every child should be surrounded by adults who love and understand them, or are at least willing to try to understand.

i have posted this to my facebook and asked for people to sign, maybe we can all forward it around.

K - 6 yrs med/school dx classic autism
C - 8 yrs NT
N - 15 yrs school dx AS

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 4:06 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt184428.html

Here's the whole shebang. It's on my Facebook as well. In my city not long ago there was a 7 year old autistic boy who had a meltdown. He was handcuffed to a chair by the school police.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Dec 2011, 4:14 pm

Signed, and I also advertised it on Facebook. This is just wrong!

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 11:03 am

I saw this on AOL a week ago and signed then...what makes this all the more horrifying to me is that this happened in my state....I'm stunned. :(

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

Signed, but i didn't understand if it's only for US citizens.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 4:36 pm

You know, I think having people from other countries sign, even if they aren't able to vote here, increases the visibility of the issue and lets them know they're being watched internationally. Unless they prevent you from doing so, I'd go ahead and sign - and if not, you can send an email to that congressperson anyway.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

Signed. This teacher sounds like a complete ignoramus.

johnnychimpo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2012, 10:17 am

My wife and I would probably have to be bailed out of jail for doing something violent to that teacher. Im sure we would make bail. :)

Signed.