Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 8:16 pm

http://www.beanblanket.com/

My older son with high-functioning classic autism just got a weighted blanket from the company above, and he loves it. It is 16 lbs., cotton, full of tiny pellets, and full-sized. He wrapped himself in it right after getting it and stayed wrapped in it. Now, he is wrapped in it in the bed.

I got it because he was having his younger brother hit him, jump on him, or lie on top of him. I thought that maybe it was a sensory thing and had heard of weighted blankets. (Considering how much private therapy for him costs, I decided that it was worth a try.)

Personally, I use three blankets on my own bed, regardless of the temperature, and request more blankets when staying in hotels or with family. If the weight is not right, I have trouble sleeping.

I am also having the ABA therapist do additional work with both my sons on appropriate behaviors and keeping their hands to themselves.

Has anyone else tried weighted blankets?

I'm just hoping that the kids don't tear it up.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 8:28 pm

I used to love heavy blankets and couldn't sleep unless I was mashed into the mattress but I have weened myself down to sleeping on my stomach with my face mashed into the pillow under couple of moderate blankets, PROVIDED the dog sleeps across my legs

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

blondeambition wrote:

My older son with high-functioning classic autism just got a weighted blanket from the company above, and he loves it. It is 16 lbs., cotton, full of tiny pellets, and full-sized. He wrapped himself in it right after getting it and stayed wrapped in it. Now, he is wrapped in it in the bed.

I got it because he was having his younger brother hit him, jump on him, or lie on top of him. I thought that maybe it was a sensory thing and had heard of weighted blankets. (Considering how much private therapy for him costs, I decided that it was worth a try.)

Personally, I use three blankets on my own bed, regardless of the temperature, and request more blankets when staying in hotels or with family. If the weight is not right, I have trouble sleeping.

I am also having the ABA therapist do additional work with both my sons on appropriate behaviors and keeping their hands to themselves.

Blonde, where I live it's way too hot even to think about heavy blankets, even this time of year. But I've read on this site that lots of other aspies do the same thing.

Being held tightly doesn't do much for me, but another popular deep touch device among aspies is a small cattle or goat squeeze chute. New ones are going to cost over a grand, but used ones can be picked up for next to nothing if you live close to an agricultural area. I understand most aspies like a chute better, and if it gets hot where you live, it might save you a bundle on a/c.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

Aharon wrote:
I used to love heavy blankets and couldn't sleep unless I was mashed into the mattress but I have weened myself down to sleeping on my stomach with my face mashed into the pillow under couple of moderate blankets, PROVIDED the dog sleeps across my legs

Aharon, how are things working out for you?

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 9:32 pm

Dunnyveg wrote:
blondeambition wrote:

Blonde, where I live it's way too hot even to think about heavy blankets, even this time of year. But I've read on this site that lots of other aspies do the same thing.

I'm pretty temperature sensitive, too, which doesn't help the air conditioning bill in the summer here in Austin, Texas, where it can get up to 108 F. Sometimes I can make it with 2 blankets in the summer. People are always asking me in the summer, "If you are hot, why do you need those blankets?"

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:12 pm

blondeambition wrote:
http://www.beanblanket.com/My older son with high-functioning classic autism just got a weighted blanket from the company above, and he loves it. It is 16 lbs., cotton, full of tiny pellets, and full-sized. He wrapped himself in it right after getting it and stayed wrapped in it. Now, he is wrapped in it in the bed.

OMG that sounds amazing that's one of my sensory pleasures. I use more pillows and blankets than any other person I know. I cover myself in blankets and curl up around pillows. I like the feeling of being smothered by softness just like my two Kitties once liked to be smothered by their mommy.
Quote:

I'd highly consider getting one but I think my Kitties might be an issue.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:40 pm

I have a weighted blanket and weighted vest (and love them both). I wouldn't worry about cats (or kids) destroying the blanket. I have a cat who is incredibly hyper, sometimes destructive, and has unclipped claws, and he's never done anything that could possibly hurt the blanket, not even when he was a young kitten who was even more hyper than he is now. He really likes sitting on top of the weighted blanket to provide extra weight, actually. I don't think he could damage it if he wanted to, because his claws are just not that strong. Likewise, I don't think a child could damage it, either--at least not without scissors or something.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 8:26 am

I will say that the main complaint that I have with the weighted blanket is that it looks like an ordinary blanket. It is not suitable for use in place of a comforter if you want to make the bed and have the room look nice.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:51 am

blondeambition wrote:
I will say that the main complaint that I have with the weighted blanket is that it looks like an ordinary blanket. It is not suitable for use in place of a comforter if you want to make the bed and have the room look nice.

Have you thought about a duvet for it? Or possibly just putting it under a lightweight comforter that is easily folded and put away?

I like sleeping with a certain weight on me too. I have a very heavy tapestry blanket on my bed now. It's a spread, and red and gold and has matching pillow shams. It's extremely heavy and big. It is machine washable, but because of it's weight and the time needed to dry it, I only wash it four times a year. I keep a lighweight comforter over the top sheet and then put the spread over it.

A weighted blanket sounds perfect for summer though. I could use a lighter summer spread and put the blanket under it. That way I still have the weight, but I don't have the dark winter spread.

My husband kicks all the covers off, so it won't bother him.

I also like it cold when I sleep. In the winter I will turn the heat off at night. In the summer, the AC bill is high here too! There is just something comforting about being snuggled down under a warm heavy blanket when the room is cold. It's not the warmth, it's the weight. I've been in the hospital and been given those blankets from the warmers and although they get me warm, they don't feel right at all.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

I was poking around the internets for one of these, and saw some on Etsy that were literally homemade blankets with pockets for rocks or pea gravel. I would bet that you could re-create one of those on a thin blanket or sheet that offers the effect of weight without the heat (I myself use heavy open-weave knit cotton blankets in the summer for this reason.)

We finally settled on a lap pad because it was cheaper than the blankets I saw online and made of vinyl. It doesn't work as well as a full blanket would, but it seems to have some positive effect. I'm going to try it when he's doing homework.

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

momsparky wrote:
I was poking around the internets for one of these, and saw some on Etsy that were literally homemade blankets with pockets for rocks or pea gravel. I would bet that you could re-create one of those on a thin blanket or sheet that offers the effect of weight without the heat (I myself use heavy open-weave knit cotton blankets in the summer for this reason.)

We finally settled on a lap pad because it was cheaper than the blankets I saw online and made of vinyl. It doesn't work as well as a full blanket would, but it seems to have some positive effect. I'm going to try it when he's doing homework.

The one that I purchased could definitely be recreated by someone who knows how to sew.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 3:11 am

How's he going with it, did he sleep well? Have you tried it? Several things give me a strong suspicion my boy would really like one of those.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:12 pm

I want to get one for myself.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:15 pm

I'm actually going to order one this week. It's just kind of tricky since I can't really order things online without the help of my mom since I don't have debt card or anything. I just give it to her in cash, she deposits it and she orders

I've been kind of lazy about ordering it...

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 11:26 pm

blondeambition wrote:
I'm pretty temperature sensitive, too, which doesn't help the air conditioning bill in the summer here in Austin, Texas, where it can get up to 108 F. Sometimes I can make it with 2 blankets in the summer. People are always asking me in the summer, "If you are hot, why do you need those blankets?"

You should get a kakebuton. It's the top part of a Japanese futon...it's almost like another mattress.

I have no idea if they are easily available in the US (the ones on Amazon below are ridiculously expensive) but maybe you could check locally.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... =kakefuton

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:10 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
You should get a kakebuton. It's the top part of a Japanese futon...it's almost like another mattress.

I have no idea if they are easily available in the US (the ones on Amazon below are ridiculously expensive) but maybe you could check locally.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... =kakefuton

Wow, those are great! We've got to have a Japanese housewares place somewhere locally (our local Mitsuwa used to have them, but that part closed down.)