Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

cricketman123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2016, 1:53 pm

Im 24 years old with autism but how do i get my family to stop treating me like a baby and more like an adult. My Mum/Stepdad don't really but My dad and stepmum do, when i stay over at my dads home its like he won't trust me to go out and enjoy myself. I would love it if i could just get the bus into town when i'm round his and explore the local area but its like he can't let go. He always says i should call my grandma nanny like im a baby but i just want to tell him i can call her what i want dad.

What do i do, i don't see my dad often but when i do i would like to see him treat me like an adult

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 3:36 pm

Well, you are 24, and if you live with your mom, or on your own, you really don't have to put up with it unless he has some type of joint guardianship over you with your mom.

If you have no legal reason to have to listen to him, and what you are proposing is safe for your skill sets. than I would just refuse to visit him until he can treat you in a mature manner. Maybe offer to see him on neutral ground like a restaurant or a park--and then go back home after instead of staying with him.