Any advice exp w/ aspie child rejecting classroom helper

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

What ideas did your son have for managing the transitions without the aide, or can the team live with some failing for longer than a day. I think a day is a good example, but certainly doesn't give anyone time to settle in.

BroncoB
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2012, 7:48 am

Kailuamom wrote:
What ideas did your son have for managing the transitions without the aide, or can the team live with some failing for longer than a day. I think a day is a good example, but certainly doesn't give anyone time to settle in.

The team decided (with our input and advice) to place the aide in an 'observer' position for one subject for one week - reading. It's not his favorite subject but from the sounds of his teachers its the next best for focus after math.

They also plan to begin giving him a heads up on the next days activities in private - not in class time in front of his peers. Hopefully this helps to reduce his concern about being known as the kid with the aide.

I must say that this whole experience, aside from the suicide threats has ended up being a net gain for our son. He is really opening his eyes to not only his differences but the necessary steps HE needs to take to find what he wants out of life.