Singapore - How do the special schools there compare w/USA?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

smannar
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2012, 2:04 pm

I have an opportunity to relocate to Singapore, can anybody let me know -
1. How is the Special School environment in Singapore (for a 5 year old)
2. If anybody have really gone through a similar relocation, how does Singapore compare with USA in this regard?

Thanks
-M

angelgarden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2012, 7:17 am

I can't exactly answer that question for you, sorry. Although, I have done a little research on Singapore.

Ironically, my family is probably relocating to Singapore this year. We are moving from another Asian country, and undoubtedly Singapore is better than where we are at now, which is one reason we are making the move. Our son is 4 1/2 and was just diagnosed with Aspergers. Why are we not moving back to the USA? Well, I have friends and family who are fighting the US public school system for services, and they get nowhere.

I guess it depends on if you are talking private schools or public schools. I did some research and it looks like the private special schools are very good. I didn't look at the public ones. Another issue might be the waiting lists for some of these schools. I saw one private special needs school that looked excellent but had a waiting list of over 200.

Since my husband will be working at an International school, our son can go to that school for free. (The int'l schools are also quite expensive). And the school has a program to help students in the regular classroom who have special needs. This is exactly what we need for our son.

Does your son need a full special needs school, or would he possibly benefit from being in a regular classroom, with a program where he can get pulled out occasionally during the day for one-on-one special needs attention?

smannar
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2012, 8:03 am

Thanks AngelGarden for your response...
My son perhaps is similar to your son...being in a regular classroom, where he can get pulled out occasionally during the day for one-on-one special needs attention.
Can you please let me know your sons school name and approximate cost (per year), so that I can lookup on internet as well as I can evaluate, if I can afford the same.