Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Dadssonwithpdd11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2012, 11:58 am

Hello, I'm a NT parent of a 5 1/2 year old boy recently diagnosed with HFAS, new to Wrong planet. Its been very enlightening reading some of the posts. Its especially helpful reading how some AS members respond to the NT parent's difficulties with their AS kids. I have to admit it can be a little unnerving in some ways, but it really helps me understand my kid's perspective.

Kshaler
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Apr 2012, 12:04 pm

Welcome I am new as well my son has HFAS as well and everyone here seems so helpful !

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

Welcome to WP! We are lucky to have a great variety of points of view and people with lots of different experiences. You are very likely to find kindred spirits here.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

13 Apr 2012, 1:01 am

Welcome! I hope you find the help you need and the support you're looking for. :)

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

http://www.freevideosforautistickids.com/Home_Page.html

Welcome to WP! You might want to check out my free website--over 400 web pages of free videos, power points, flashcards, links, etc., for both kids on the spectrum and their parents. The stuff for mom and dad is mainly on the left side bar, and the free videos for kids are mainly on the right.

Note: Most of the many embedded YouTube players on the website are connected to entire playlists of YouTube clips on related issues (maybe 25 clips on words beginning with the letter "T" or "good sportsmanship" or "sharing" or "telling time"). If you want to browse an entire playlist, you will need to start the first YouTube video in the playlist and then click on the little rectangular box at the bottom of the video player. Then the entire YouTube playlist will pop up.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

Dadssonwithpdd11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2012, 9:03 am

Thanks, that's a really great website - the Yale videos are really fascinating - it's soo helpful having access to these resources.

I've recently read about a computer program called "secret agent society" - anyone with an opinion on the quality of this program?

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

Dadssonwithpdd11 wrote:
Thanks, that's a really great website - the Yale videos are really fascinating - it's soo helpful having access to these resources.

I've recently read about a computer program called "secret agent society" - anyone with an opinion on the quality of this program?

http://www.sst-institute.net/us/parents ... game-pack/
http://www.sst-institute.net/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEJuvqMgbI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h1d_gDygqs

It looks like a very interesting program. My kids have not tried it yet, but I found the above information about it on the Internet. It looks like the game pack would be $ 238.45 and a great deal easier and cheaper than private therapy if it works.

My younger son tried a three-month subscription to the Internet-based teachtown.com (similar concept but maybe geared towards younger kids and not as exciting). He liked the program okay, but he really only needed a one-month subscription. The teachtown.com has good content and is easy to understand, but it has no subtitles. Teachtown graphics and games are okay, but not something most children would want to do over and over without encouragement from a teacher/parent. He would have done fine with a one-month subscription. We have a lot of materials, and he was ready to move on after a few sessions. Even so, when compared against the cost of private therapy, I found it to be a good value. (One month to teachtown.com digital download is $ 39.99).

You might also want to look at the socialskillbuilder.com website. Both of my boys like these DVDs pretty well (again, much cheaper and more convenient than private therapy). I have a friend with twin girls with high functioning classic autism (aged 11). One of the girls really likes the socialskillbuilder.com DVDs.

I've also had a lot of success with DVDs, and you might want to check out the video modeling, computer software, and digital downloads suggestions in the "autism links" section of my free website. See below:

http://www.freevideosforautistickids.co ... s_CDs.html

I've just added The Secret Agency Society to the above web page.

Note: We do ABA also, but we don't have the private ABA therapist do everything--way to expensive and inconvenient when a lot of things can be taught via computer, DVD, picture book, games, etc. Also, if I reinforce things being worked on by the therapist, progress is a whole lot faster--can learn a lot more at earlier ages, and early intervention is so important.

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!