following directions...and why they cannot

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 11:04 am

Quote:
So sorry, I went to look it up, got distracted, you know how it goes. Here's the article: http://www.oneplaceforspecialneeds.com/ ... utism.html (note, it isn't really about tantrums despite the title.)

This is a very interesting article especially about time. I don't see time as most people do. I see time as a wound up rope and it could be unwound in an infinite amount of possibilities. I see time as most people would see space. For example, if I have a penny on the dresser it could lead to one set of many possible outcomes the longer time passes in orders of magnitudes. If I don't have a penny on the dresser then it leads to another set of possible outcomes. I'll give another example. A person is addicted to crack cocain and while he is high he drops a bit of it on the floor of the crackhouse with the baggie that it was in. It somehow forms into a little pattern based upon how the house is structured. Because the window was open and there was wind the stuff blew a certain way to form a pattern that includes the baggie. The crack head leaves the next day and a little boy who turns out to be a genius like Einstein goes in and sees this pattern. He thinks nothing of it until his 40s when while he was working in a lab and a collegue of his says something which triggers his memory. He comes up with the theory and practical application of warp drive like in star trek. Humanity quickly spreads itself amongst the stars. Based upon this why would drugs and drug use always be a negative thing like it is promoted in America?

Quote:
I am the black sheep in my family; everyone else has some kind of advanced degree in philosophy and I have a degree in theater (I used to joke that I was the only member of my family who could actually get a job in their chosen profession.) I was a giant pain in the @$$ my whole life, did my own thing my own way, never followed anybody's rules (though to a degree I am still rules-bound; I now do a lot of work with law enforcement.) I was never rebellious in the way teens are - because I was busy rebelling against the teens who were my peers, not because I was "good."

How did you get yourself under control and establish within yourself that there were things you had to do whether you liked the rules or not? What do you do with law enforcement? It is said that teens are rebellious but how are they truly rebellious if they comform to certain things?

Quote:
My son is very, very like me - which sometimes helps because I understand him, and sometimes means we get into an impasse when my rules and his rules collide (like this morning when I insisted that his school notebook needed to go IN his backpack because he tends to forget things he's holding, and he insisted that he COULD NOT put it in his backpack because he was WEARING it and had already buckled his seat belt. Even after I explained that I expected him to unbuckle and take off the backpack to put the notebook in, he angrily refused. We got through it, but I wasn't particularly patient and I'm not proud of myself.)

I can relate with your son with his backpack. By the way, we called them book bags. First, he does all this work. He puts everything in there and puts it on him. He is all settled. By the way, are you two in the car and driving? If you are driving him somewhere then he has to take off his backpack, be careful nothing slips out of it while the car is moving. For me that is difficult. I can't even put on my jacket or take off my jacket while I'm in the car and the car is moving. To me, all of that is difficult, frustrating and exhausting. I would make sure everything that needs to be in his backpack before you leave the house and before he puts it on.