non verbal at six, and it's okay

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lukes_dad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jun 2012, 7:30 am

Haven't posted here in a while, but this place helped me immensely when I was first 'starting out' after my son after diagnosis, so maybe this will resound with another struggling parent.

Luke is almost six years old, still mainly non-verbal, but has made some great strides since his diagnosis. He makes approximations when asking for things, such as the first sound of the word. Sometimes, the entire word will come out clear as day, but these are few and far between, although you can see the pride in his face when he gets it out. He has some sign language, a few signs that he favors, he uses regularly.

He is finally potty trained, which is an awesome milestone, and we are now working on getting him to put his pants back on afterward, instead of running out of the bathroom half naked.

His social skills are much better, and has a couple of friends on the block, a little younger than him who regularly come over and play. (They are noticing his differences, but accepting them. One of his friends wants to learn sign language so she can communicate with him:)

Everything he learns takes tons of patience and repetition, and milestones are very hard to come by, and hard to see on a day to day basis.

This almost tore our family apart, but we somehow held on and are stronger than ever. Most problems were due to me being pig-headed about our family and home being a certain way, and depression on my wife's end. Things are nowhere near perfect, and we're good with that!

We are pretty happy now, and most of all, Luke is a happy well-adjusted kid who is very energetic, curious and 'full of life'.

Last night, the three of us had dinner at Outback, I had a beer, my wife a glass of wine, Luke sat patiently waiting for his food watching an old baby einstein movie on my wife's phone. He had a salad and a loaded baked potato for dinner, and even sat still afterward till we got the check!

I read a post similar to mine on this forum over three years ago, and it gave me hope, so if I can do the same for someone else, it would really make my day!

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

Terrific story, thank you for sharing! Congratulations on how far your son has come!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

Thank you for the update. I am so glad to hear of your great progress! I know a lot of work and patience went into that, but yes it does pay off.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2012, 11:59 am

What a wonderful story. I know it can be hard to see those milestones and it is important to celebrate them when they happen - even if that is just a high five all around. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
Dawb :D

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

Thats so nice to read. My son is nearly six and completely non-verbal, potty training is our next biggie.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 9:51 pm

Great, thanks for posting. We need more positive stories like this!

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

I am so happy that you son, really your whole family, have come so far. It gives me hope that my son will improve over time and be happy with himself.

lukes_dad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2012, 6:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words, it really helps to hear from others in similar situations.