Do kids on the spectrum potty train later than NT kids?

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 11:22 pm

Potty training my AS son was(is) a nightmare. Pee trained at age 2, and if I'm perfectly honest, he's still not quite poop-trained at age 6. He's had a colonoscopy to rule out medical reasons.

My NT daughter was fully potty trained by 18 months.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 11:33 pm

I apparently toilet trained really early because I had sensory issues and hated the feel/smell of dirty nappies.

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2019, 5:45 pm

Some are. I wasn't. However I did have sensory issues that made it harder to know when to go.

I think I used to pee my pants quite often even when I was potty trained. It was a sensory thing apparently.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 5:53 pm

I was 2 1/2, a little late for a child during the 1960s....but sort of average these days.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 5:58 pm

My son was 2 and half. I didn’t try when he was younger than that. Potty training him was extremely easy because he discovered immediately that big boy underwear are much more comfy than diapers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 6:25 pm

I felt the same way about underwear. I don’t even remember wearing diapers......though I associate diapers with discomfort somehow.

I wore cloth diapers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 3:10 pm

Me and my brother are both on the spectrum but my brother was fully potty-trained before he was 3, and I was fully potty-trained near my second birthday and only wore a nappy at night because I was still in a cot, but my mum says that when I pee'd in the cot I'd wake up and cry because I didn't like having a soiled nappy. My brother sometimes used to poop in his pants when he was 3, but that was when I was a newborn baby and my mum thinks he done it to get attention, which is quite normal in toddlers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 3:32 pm

Someone mentioned undies being more comfy than diapers, I find the opposite to be true but I don't like thin diapers. But that is another story and it wouldn't belong here.

I was out of diapers at age three right after my brother was born. I've decided to quit wearing them when I saw I wasn't a baby anymore and babies wear them and I wasn't a baby. I still had toileting issues though and had accidents up to the age of 5. I still would have refused diapers if anyone tried to put me in one. Thankfully no one did and I would just get cleaned up and put on some clean pair of panties and pants. I remember the urge would hit all of a sudden and I couldn't hold it. My mom could not get me out of diapers when I was two because I would just go in my pants when I would feel the urge. I didn't want to get my potty chair all dirty either. I only liked sitting in it and then I would pull my pants up when the urge would hit. Instead of pushing it, she just put me back in diapers figuring I wasn't ready because I had it figured out wrong. I might have been potty trained later if it weren't for my newborn brother. I am pretty sure teachers would have pushed it on me in school and go commando with me, that is what they do with special ed students who are still in diapers. They will just let them have accidents and they change their clothes whenever it happens and clean up the mess and they keep it consistent.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2019, 5:22 pm

I certainly took longer to train...I've been told I was a very stubborn trainer and was in and out of diapers until I was about four, but I remember being in training pants until about second grade.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2019, 9:54 am

I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's because no one knew it existed back then, but I was potty trained at around 2 or 3 years old. Back then we didn't have diapers that were thinly disguised as training pants. But for much of my childhood I had this morbid fear of using public bathrooms except for the ones we had at school. I really don't know why except that some of them were dark and smelly and full of bugs, especially at campgrounds.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 9:53 am

I think there is something in point 2 regarding being able to sense in plenty of time when one has a full bowel.

Both my brother and I were quite late in this respect, as was my wee niece, and in later life my mother confided that the signal from bowel to brain in her was somewhat intermittent and constipation had been a steady nuisance in teh background for much of her life. Mother and I both seem to have a number of traits in the Aspie /PDD bits of the spectrum, and I have been assessed as an adult and confirmed autistic profile. t is something we manage to a greter or lesser extent by building into a routine, to the point I wont schedule any grocery deliveries for mum at certain times because I know it will co-incide with a visit to "The Smallest Room" as the English euphemism has it.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2019, 8:47 pm

This isn't current obviously, but part of the bad parenting my parents did raising me was not getting me out of diapers till I was 5 or 6, it was so long ago I don't remember which age I was. And again no one knew what ASD was back then and this may've happened in part b/c I suspect my mom was on spectrum herself.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 10:05 pm

I was trained at about three, a bit late, but I wasn't late in other things.

Like a lot of people here, I hate public restrooms. I hate going to the bathroom at the library where I work, because people do really weird or gross things in there and the place is a mess.

jngyslate
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2019, 9:42 pm

I dont have what most people would probably consider "hardcore" autism, and I didnt stop wearing diapers (the larger stretchy kind for older children..) until I was 7 or 8 years old. My parents bought me a machine that would emit a loud buzzer noise whenever a drop of liquid touched a pad that I was sleeping on. The pad was connected to the buzzer. It was no fun, but it potty trained me in about a week, because I couldn't STAND that buzzer. Lol.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 10:47 pm

I had “hard core” autism until I was 5 1/2.

I was toilet-trained at age 2 1/2, a little later than average for the 1960s.

Many kids, even in the lower elementary grades, continue to wet the bed. Most of these kids are not autistic.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2019, 9:02 pm

My parents had issues with me with it. I have sensory issues that make it hard. Once I realize I have to use the washroom it is too late. Its difficulty with understanding what my body is trying to tell me. I also feel pain differently because of this and body temperature. I had issues with smearing as well when I was younger. I was not an easy kid.