Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2012, 6:35 am

Since she is so picky, (and I know this will be expensive) I would tell her you will take her to restaurants as much as possible for two weeks, while you experiment with foods at home. At home, I wouldn't try to find substitutes for her favorite foods for at least a month or so.

I say all this to help her keep her weight up. You want her to enjoy the foods she can eat until she sees the benefits of being gluten free and then she might be willing to try things she might not have tried earlier. I did a lot of brown rice for starches for 2 months before I tried GF baked goods and pastas. My previously picky son so appreciated having them by that time, he didn't care they tasted so different. BTW, it took three weeks for him to notice the benefits of being GF, and he told me - I didn't have to ask.

I suggested restaurants because they couldn't offer anything that didn't taste terrific, and so many of them have GF offerings. That might not be true if you live in a remote area. You must ask what is specifically gluten free. We took a 10 day vacation and had no trouble finding gluten free options everywhere we went. Someone previously mentioned asian foods, but they use wheat to thicken sauces. You must ask if there is anything GF on the menu and avoid sauces.

My family has been GF for a yr and a half, and we have many friends who are celiac.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

They did diagnose her with Celiac.

She has been GF for 1 week. This morning she got up and dressed herself and brushed her teeth and hair without prompting. She has never done this before. I don't know if it is the lack of Gluten or a fluke, or perhaps she feels better? Her anxiety is still high. We are doing pretty good on baked potatoes, salads and soups so far. Someone had donuts this morning and she didn't even ask for one-which is a miracle!