Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 8:07 am

Alexmom wrote:
This is such a helpful thread.

Do you recognise this:
My son describes people's voices rather than what they say or how they act. I know he has trouble socializing with the other kids but when I ask him about it, if he answers at all, he will say that he or she has "not a nice voice" or a "high pitched annoying voice" or a "deep bad voice".
He seems to pay much more attention to how they sound than what they actually say. Which makes it hard for me to help him.

Does he have face blindness? My son focuses on irrelevant features sometimes because that is how he recognizes the person. He can recognize people he knows very well and people he has a lot of exposure to (so long as they are in the "right" environment), but sometimes he will not recognize someone until they speak. Then he knows who they are.

Alexmom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2013, 9:13 am

I'm not sure. He doesn't pay attention to other people that's for sure. Despite being at someone's house many times with me he most likely won't remembered who they are, what their name was or sometimes even if they are male or female.

When he was a baby he could walk off with complete strangers or walk over to someone on a restaurant and climb up in their lap. No idea if that's face blindness :S

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 10:23 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
InThisTogether wrote:
Interesting...so are you saying you think it is because the level of concentration required to listen to speech is so intense that it leads to mental fatigue? It's a capacity issue?

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but it certainly is the case for me.

Me too.

To the following with the face blindness. So sure I can see (Eyes, Nose, Chin, Mouth etc...) so if I met someone, who would be missing such things, and I would look into his face too, so i would know, that there is something missing. But the brain has an own part to separate minimal differences, and this seems not to be working. So I even didnt recognize my jr. Chef one time, when I met him on a Friday, until he spoke to me. So he had taken a free day and only made a short visit in our company, and he had a complete different style of cloths. So when I saw him, I knew, that there was something weird about this person, but only when he spoke to me I recognized my Jr. Chef in short trousers. ^^

Because of this, I dont really look into other people faces by intuitive, so things like new hairstyles or such stuff, that are obvious for others may be not noticed from me. Only when speaking in loud areas I stare at other people mouths, because its easier for me to listen to them. Because of this, I do not liked synchronized films, because the movement of the lips does not fit to the spoken, which feels weird.