Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 6:39 pm

Where does he get money to buy booze?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 6:44 pm

I bet if this was an NT we were talking about, straycat probably would not have a problem with what I am saying. But there are even NTs out there who are homeless because their parents also threw them out. If they were also doing drugs or booze or disrespectful their parents and their property so they kicked them out finally, yeah mom and I both agree this is the right thing to do. Disability doesn't make a difference.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm

earthmom wrote:
MMJMOM wrote:
As a parent, everything I do for my son is to prepare him for the future. I think of it ALL THE TIME!! ! What if he never changes? What if he is like this as an adult? Can he hold down a job? Have a family, find a place in society?

People tell me my son will be just fine. What parent doesnt want to hear that? My son is very intelligent, social, sweet, friendly, etc...he just needs "fine tuning" I have heard that more then once. He needs t o learn to follow directions, rules, social skills, common sence, handle frustration, changes in routine, etc..

But in the back of my head is what if he doesnt? What if he never gets it? He is only 7 now but wont be forever! I have him in many programs, groups, and have him work with therapists to learn how to better handle his emotions, learn social skills, etc.

I will never stop, I will fight for him and with him, always having his future in the front of my mind. My ultimate goal is for him to be happy and be able to live an indapendent life. Whatever he wants to do is fine with me as long as its LEGAL...lol,

It is amazing how our childrens goals change. OF COURSE I want him to go to college, get a degree, good paying job. if any of that happens it will be icing on the cake. My ultimate goal is still the same, live indapendent and be happy and I will be THRILLED!! !

7 is incredibly early and you are blessed to have the help so early. Early help for AS kids is good (now) but it all evaporates as they get older.

My son was diagnosed as ADD back when that's all they diagnosed everyone to be. (When you only have a hammer, every problem is a nail) The school tested him more than a lab rat and kept telling me to put him on Ritalin. Problem is, the symptoms of ADD did not fit him. I pointed that out and they just shrugged and said "that's all we've got". He could not function in school, they would not provide extra support or help or classes, and he stopped going at all in 8th grade.

Since then has been a series of ANYTHING he is interested in I support. He's held a string of fast food and call center jobs (and been fired from each one) and I put out money for each new interest (as much as I possibly can) but it doesn't amount to anything. He smokes, in a home that is strictly no smoking, and drinks (during which he has broken things in the house that neither he nor I can repair) So the house is being torn up and not fixed, and it stinks - badly.

Imagine the quirks of the little kid and amplify them to a grown man who behaves like a little kid, only has access to things like alcohol and cigarettes, and outweighs you.... :(

I myself am an Aspie. I am high functioning in that I've held corporate programming and technical jobs, had a family (4 kids) and support them all. My son's father is undiagnosed something - I would guess autistic - totally anti social (he's also diabetic and since he refused to treat that problem he is going blind and has kidney problems, and continues to eat sugar all throughout the day in total denial). He has been the shining example to the son of how to mooch off me, not pay a thing, not contribute to the household and just be cared for. It's 2 of them and one of me and I'm wearing out because I literally do everything. I'm the only one who drives, works, shops, cleans. It's been like this for more than 30 years. The other 3 grew up and started lives. I'm left with these 2 and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I dont have help...I PAY for help. I hire help in the house, the district gives us NOTHING. I refuse to give up, I wont ever give up. One therapist doesnt work, we move on to another. Its just what has to be done. I wish the district would give me a parent trainer once a week or once a MONTH. I wish they would give him social skills group, or something like that. But, alas, nothing. So I go out and research and pay out of pocket for therapists to come to the house cause my son dosent generalize when he learns a skill in a room or therapy office he is great there but in the real world he cant use those skills, so I bring them home. I have a nutritionsit come to the house to work with him on expaniding his diet and eating things that might help him and losing hte things that make behaviors and distractibility worse.

We dont have tons of $ and I do without just to make sure he is covored. The tehrapists are EXPENSIVE! One was $90 an hour. Who the heck can afford that? I did it for a while while sacrificing some of my own Dr appts and bills. It just has to be done. WHY??? Cause I am afraid if I do nothing, he wont have an indapendant life, OR he will turn to some substance to figure out how to cope.

It is scarey and posts like these reaffirm that I need to keep pushing and keep working with my son and not give up or give in to those who say he will outgrow this or he will get it when he is older. Not always the case!

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 7:41 pm

I just find this all very sad. :cry:

I do not think there are any easy answers. The OP is obviously at her wits' end, and to be honest, to be the only working adult in a home of 3 adults where the other two just expect you to bleed yourself dry to provide for them would probably push anyone to their wits' end. I feel exhausted just thinking about it.

I think the truth is that parents here who do not have abusive older kids living at home cannot possibly understand the situation enough to have any clarity. And children, or adults without children cannot possibly understand the situation at all.

So I think that passing judgement or saying what you would or wouldn't do is probably less than helpful. I personally cannot imagine kicking my kid out, but I cannot imagine being in the OP's shoes either.

I don't even really know why I am posting except there is a lot of underlying contention going on here and I wish there wasn't because I feel bad for the people who have been mistreated by their parents and I feel bad for the parents who have been taken advantage of by their kids. I totally get the feeling of "OMGosh...this is NEVER going to end."

<sigh>

MMJMOM
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 9:09 pm

I, too, feel bad for the OP. I cannot imagine being in the situations she is in. I hope and pray that I never do...
sad situation to be in.

M-, who would be 6 1/2, my forever angel baby
E- 1 year old!! !

Quetzkotl
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2013, 10:50 pm

I identify with this first post so much. My oldest son, who was diagnosed with PDD-NOS as a small child, is now 18. He's still just a junior in high school. My husband and I have no intention of throwing him out or anything, but life is getting very complicated for us. My son is still very dependent and he also often doesn't bathe enough, doesn't bother to do homework and is in constant danger of flunking out of school. I'd support him 100 percent anyways, but the thing is I have two other younger children also on the autistic spectrum who go to a special school for kids with autism. One of them is almost completely nonverbal and I feel he may well be with us for life. If my oldest son was our only child that would be one thing but I just don't know if I have the strength and inner resources to care for all three of them for their entire lives. It doesn't help that I'm pretty sure that I'm on the spectrum myself, as well, and struggle with my own issues of social phobias and anxiety.

I love my children all so much, but I am just one person and there is only so far I can be stretched, you know?

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm

earthmom, what was it like when you kicked your son out? You say he sank like a stone. What happened and how? How long did it last?

And what was it like for you when you kicked him out? What was the atmosphere at your house like?

I hope things improve for all of you.

StrayCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2013, 1:41 am

It's awfully misguided to assume that number one, I'm a "child" and number two, I'm not a parent.

I'm 34. I keep trying to fix my damn profile, but for some reason it won't let me enter my birthdate.

When I say I would never do that to my own child, I speak from the perspective of an adult who has had children. Whether you want to say I'm not a mother because I'm not raising my kids is up to you.

But it's a good idea to ask [:

And no, AS or NT, I would try to figure out how to help my kid. I'm a nosy person, I'd ask then what they expected / needed / were trying to do.

StrayCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2013, 1:49 am

StrayCat wrote:
When I was 17 and just out of high school, they kicked me or, claiming tough love.

Today, I've been homeless off and on for the last 18 years.

???

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:32 am

Last edited by earthmom on 06 Feb 2013, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:47 am

Last edited by earthmom on 06 Feb 2013, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:52 am

Last edited by earthmom on 06 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:55 am

InThisTogether wrote:
I just find this all very sad. :cry:

I do not think there are any easy answers. The OP is obviously at her wits' end, and to be honest, to be the only working adult in a home of 3 adults where the other two just expect you to bleed yourself dry to provide for them would probably push anyone to their wits' end. I feel exhausted just thinking about it.

I think the truth is that parents here who do not have abusive older kids living at home cannot possibly understand the situation enough to have any clarity. And children, or adults without children cannot possibly understand the situation at all.

So I think that passing judgement or saying what you would or wouldn't do is probably less than helpful. I personally cannot imagine kicking my kid out, but I cannot imagine being in the OP's shoes either.

I don't even really know why I am posting except there is a lot of underlying contention going on here and I wish there wasn't because I feel bad for the people who have been mistreated by their parents and I feel bad for the parents who have been taken advantage of by their kids. I totally get the feeling of "OMGosh...this is NEVER going to end."

<sigh>

I appreciate your post. Thank you.

-- Emerson

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:55 am

MMJMOM wrote:
I, too, feel bad for the OP. I cannot imagine being in the situations she is in. I hope and pray that I never do...
sad situation to be in.

Thank you.

-- Emerson

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:58 am

Quetzkotl wrote:
I identify with this first post so much. My oldest son, who was diagnosed with PDD-NOS as a small child, is now 18. He's still just a junior in high school. My husband and I have no intention of throwing him out or anything, but life is getting very complicated for us. My son is still very dependent and he also often doesn't bathe enough, doesn't bother to do homework and is in constant danger of flunking out of school. I'd support him 100 percent anyways, but the thing is I have two other younger children also on the autistic spectrum who go to a special school for kids with autism. One of them is almost completely nonverbal and I feel he may well be with us for life. If my oldest son was our only child that would be one thing but I just don't know if I have the strength and inner resources to care for all three of them for their entire lives. It doesn't help that I'm pretty sure that I'm on the spectrum myself, as well, and struggle with my own issues of social phobias and anxiety.

I love my children all so much, but I am just one person and there is only so far I can be stretched, you know?

Yes, I do know. And I struggle as well. I'm sure I'm an Aspie so I have a whole set of my own issues. I work all that I can in anyway that I can (two jobs right now) but I don't make much money at all and have no health insurance for any of us.

I wonder everyday how far I can be stretched. I always hoped something would 'click' or come together or happen that would help, I don't know what or when or anything but something. It hasn't happened yet.

-- Emerson

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 7:12 am

StrayCat wrote:
It's awfully misguided to assume that number one, I'm a "child" and number two, I'm not a parent.

For clarity's sake, I wasn't referring particularly to you or any other individual. WP has all sorts of people on it, including "kids" (though in their teens, I doubt they like to be referred to as "kids"). I have no idea who is reading this thread, only who is posting to it. But I can imagine there are people who are reading and not posting. I shared my thoughts to all of the readers.

And whether or not you are raising your child, I would have to say that it is unfair to say what you would or wouldn't do in someone else's situation, because it is only a guess. Unless you have been there, you cannot possibly know for sure. I strongly believe I would never kick my children out of my house. But I am well aware of the fact that it may just be that there are circumstances that I have not imagined that would lead me to do so.

Mostly what I am saying, or maybe feeling but not saying, is that the last thing I think the OP needs is judgement. I have been stretched to my wits' end before and sometimes it is a very precarious place to be. To reach out for help and to receive the sharp slap of judgment from someone who can't possibly understand just adds to the burden.