Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LoMai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2007, 9:19 am

I have a 12 yr. old daughter that has had every diagnosis possible it seems. The latest being Temporal Lobe Seizures for which she takes medication. SInce she was three, I noticed that her behavior was different. She has always had HUGE meltdowns, aggressivness when told No, crying jags that can last up to three hours. She was very sensitive to things at a young age: wouldn't let anyone brush her hair, doesn't like the feel of brushing her teeth, clothes have to be soft or she gets annoyed, food issues have been on-going (sensitive to textures of food especially). She has had increasing problems at school. She does not seem to know when she is invading others space, being annoying in class, she likes to engage people in never-ending arguements, she makes repetitive sounds when she is concentrating, she curses alot for no apparent reason. She has a high IQ and academically does very well - but the social issues have labeled her a problem child. Every day is a trial. I am a single parent and I feel overwhelmed and exhausted but I keep trying to get her the help that she needs. I have read through others posts and see so much of her in what they say - so I ask: How do I know? Where do I begin with her Psychiatrist? How do I not lose my mind as well? Any thoughts? Thanks. :(

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

18 Jan 2007, 9:28 am

Hmm I guess you have consider Tourette Syndrome.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tour ... urette.htm

Maybe some parents here can give you addvice.

LoMai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2007, 9:39 am

The pschiatrist does not belive that it is tourettes - what he has thought is that it is part of the seizures but since she still does it while taking the seizure meds, I wonder if he is wrong. The cursing and sounds are not extreme or explosive, she just does it regularly and bringing her attention to it does not help curb it.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

LoMai
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2007, 11:25 am

Thank you for the links - it does seem that it is possible to have comorbid existence of temporal lobe seizures and Asperger's. What it seems like to me at this point is that she has all the characteristics of Asperger's but that it is possible that the meltdown type stuff could have triggered the seizures (anger and crying). I guess that I am just trying to pin down what is happening with her so that life/school/etc. won't be so much of a struggle - or maybe it will always be a struggle, but we will know what we are dealing with. I appreciate any pointers, help, suggestions, etc.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 1:22 pm

My oldest son has a diagnosis of moderate autism as well as Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. He has often complex partial seizures because of it.