How do you deal with your childs immature interest?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 9:08 pm

My son knows which of his interests are not "age appropriate" and which are. He is selective regarding with whom he shares these interests. Sometimes he chooses to come out in his full "weird" glory, and other times he keeps it low-key. I think he likes knowing he has a choice and that he doesn't have to spoil the things he loves by sharing them with people who are too closed-minded to understand. Luckily, his good friends either share the same interests or they have a few weird ones of their own, so they live in a world where favorite things are treasured and respected, even if they are not YOUR favorite things.

IOW, I think having a conversation with your sister is appropriate. So she can understand "the rules" of being a 12 year old girl. Then it is up to her if and when she wants to follow them.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm

I am not a parent and those who know me, already know I raise my brothers. The youngest J-bird, is now 17, he's into legos. He really likes them. IDK, society seems backwards in that department. If you're doing something artistic and creative with them it's okay, but for other uses it's not. But I am not going to do anything about it. One of these days if I get the camera to work and if I get his permission, I'll share some pictures of the beautiful things he creates with legos. His mind works in beautiful ways.

And hell me, I still like to roleplay. I create movie scripts, cast my brothers in an audition and then we make costumes, and run around the house like mad men with imagination soaring. In truth my career I would like to be on Broadway, I'd like to write and produce movies and be a writer. A dream that seems least and least likely to come true.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 9:09 pm

When I was growing up, the way my parents (my stepfather in particular) dealt with my "immature interests" was to shame me for them. Now that I'm in college, though, I let my interests "all hang out." My bed is covered in plushies, I have Cars 2 and Where the Wild Things Are stickers all over the walls, toys on my desk and dresser, and buttons and pins all over my shoulder bag. People actually think it's all pretty cool, now. :)

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes