Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

scampies1
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Feb 2007, 9:48 pm

My 12 year old daughter with Aspergers is on two medications. THe first one is Prozac the second is Resperidone. She is on REsperidone to control her temper. The side effect is weight gain, because it makes her hungry. THis stupid medication has made her obsessed with food. I am always fighting her to stay out of the kitchen and when she is depressed she makes comments that she wants to eat her life away.
Does anyone else have this type of problem?

TeeTee_Mom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2007, 10:08 pm

so...would you say these medications are helping her?

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 10:09 pm

My little guy (he's 8) is on Zoloft which has a side effect of weight gain as well. We've been able to keep it in check though through a couple of things.

* Up his water intake which makes him feel more full
* Bigger portions at the main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
* Three small snacks throughout the day which falls mid morning, after school (the first two have to be healthy). We always have fruit, yogurt, sliced veggies & dip available. The last snack of the day (before bed) can be a treat (ice cream, fruit popsicles, chips etc) but we keep portion under control.

I find that upping his water intake made a big difference. Actually, eating 5 smaller meals a day is healthier than three big ones. Maybe that will help?

Good luck. It's tough to be 12. ;)

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2007, 10:43 pm

I'm not on any medications that make me hungrier, but my stomach is a bottomless pit. Im not overweight though, Im actually underweight but I can't stop eating, Im eating ALL day. I always feel like I'm starving, like I'm going to pass out starving. I don't like to go over to other people's houses cause I feel embarassed asking for a snack every five minutes. And it pisses me off when kids have to ask for a snack, Im allowed to eat whenever I want and how much I want, considering that a snack NEVER ruins my appetite. Well when i babysit I always eat out their pantry but i consider that part of my pay :P But seriosuly though, my stomach is wrencing in hunger when Im not eating.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:22 am

we had the same problem with Depakote. As it wasn't doing anything it was supposed to be doing for son, we took him off of it ( with doc's ok).
is the med working for her otherwise ?

scampies1
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2007, 10:52 am

I have tried to lower her dosage and she eats more because it puts more stress on her. Unfortunately, she needs the medication to control her meltdowns. I am trying to get her into see the psychiatrist that diagnosed her for a medication review.

She has also, on her own decided to try a gluten free/casien free diet. THis lasted for a good week.. SHe said she still felt sad, that it didn`t help her.

THank-you for the suggestion of upping her water intake. I have never been able to get her to drink water, but because someone else has suggested it she is willing.

A behavior therapist has suggested to put locks on the fridge and cupboards.

Like all the parents here, we are constantly scheming of ideas to help our children. Somedays I feel pretty blue myself.

Oh, well. at least she finally has a diagnosis and it is only up from here...........
Big hugs to all the parents!

chipmunk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2007, 12:48 pm

My son isn't on any medications and he eats like someone is about to take the plate away - very fast and in great quantities. It was worse when he was younger. He had a weight problem from early on - he weighed 30 pounds at his one year checkup - because he ate so much. It's like he was insatiable. I think part of his eating was a compulsive thing because when he went to middle school he had the freedom to get what he wanted in the cafeteria and for a couple of months (until I realized what he was doing) he was getting 3-4 entrees and 4-5 desserts every day for lunch! He is obsessed with food for sure and is always concerned about what and when his next meal will be. In the past couple of years he has grown taller, learned how to control his portions and eat healthier foods, and has increased his physical activity, all of which have worked together to put him at a very healthy weight now. It's still all about food for him though.

The main things I can suggest for your daughter are lots of water (as someone else already said. Try squeezing lemon or orange in it if she resists) and an emphasis on healthy foods. Keep carrot sticks and celery cut up in the fridge and if she wants to munch, she can munch on those. High fiber foods may help her feel full longer, too. In my experience, trying to get my son to stop eating was never successful. He would resist, get defensive, get upset, and nothing would be solved. Keep her moving and keep healthy foods accessable. I think it would be good for her to have some control over her eating instead of locking all the cupboards and fridge. Maybe lock up some things but give her access to others?

scampies1
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2007, 3:11 pm

Thanks Chipmunk,

My daughter sounds like your son. SHe is OBSESSED with food. I agree with you, locks on the cupboards and fridge is not the answer. I will try all of the tips everyone has given me. Luckily she goes to Aquafit two times per week with her social interventionist.

:D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 10:24 pm

I can't really help you out, because I have similar issues.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 4:34 pm

maybe it's time to look for another (hopefully) more effective medication

daisydiana
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2007, 7:28 pm

My 8 year old son is also on risperdone and methylphenidate he eats a lot as well but he doesnt gain weight, he is 50 lbs, not very heavy for an 8 year old, but somedays i can't feed him enough, and snacks are not sufficient he wants heavy foods(cooked Foods).

scampies1
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Feb 2007, 12:08 pm

DAisy, your son is very fortuante that he is not gaining weight as increased appetite is a bad side effect to risperidone.
My daughter can` t eat enough either, it is like she is not tasting the food and is always looking for the next fix.

daisydiana
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2007, 2:29 pm

Yes i know what you mean, My son just eats for pleasure there is no way he is hungry most of the time. He just wants it because it is there, sometimes i have to hide the school snacks,or they would be gone pretty quick because he doesn't care if they are for school.

mumof1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2007, 3:58 am

My daughter (6) isn't on any meds but can just eat and eat and eat. All she thinks about for the majority of the day is food. She will literally eat til she vomits if given the chance. It concerns me greatly that she doesn't seem to be able to control her food intake or know when she is full. She will eat the entire contents of her school lunch box at recess and then have a hissy fit at lunch time as she's got nothing to eat.
She's not overweight.....yet.

daisydiana
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2007, 9:05 am

Mumof1,
I'm sorry to hear of your daaughters eating habits, my sons is a bit different he usually brings back most of the contents of his school lunch, and when he gets home is when he eats non stop. I think he doesn't like to eat at school because there are too many distractions. Thankfully your daughter is not overweight yet so you may have a chance to turn it around. I have a daoughter who is 15 she is normal but has a n eating problem as well i would say she is a compulsive eater.She is 175 lbs.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 10:42 am

My son gained 5 kg from 2 months of zyprexa (same drug family as respiridon). He has always had a healthy appetite, anyway, and eats very quickly.
There is supposed to be a new drug on the market with less side affects, but also sometimes less impulse control. (It is more receptor specific)
Apart from increasing appitite, these drugs lower metabolism, meaning even more weight gain.