Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mumof1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2007, 3:49 am

Thanks for your reply DaisyDiana
Tonight we went out for tea and she just ate heaps (alot of salad which was good) but all she was concerned about was getting more all the time and was most irate when we left. I'm thinking maybe she doesn't register that feeling of being full. I'm considering going to a dietician for advice perhaps.

scampies1
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2007, 4:57 pm

I can`t have any sugary snacks of any kind in the house ie, juice, yogurt, granlola bars etc. because she will eat all of them.

Cecilia
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Feb 2007, 11:10 am

Hello,

My eight year old with asperger also has an eating-problem. She is constantly asking when its time for the next meal and at meal-time she eats large portions but nevertheless gets hungry again within an hour. I am not sure if its really hunger she feels as she seems to talk more about eating when she doesnt have anything to do, if she has a friend over she seems to be too busy.

She has not yet been started on medication but her psychiatrist wants me to consider it, but I dont know which kind yet. Is there anything in the asperger diagnosis itself that causes the over-eating :?:

Hope somebody knows
Best wishes

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2007, 2:08 pm

Cecilia wrote:
Hello,

My eight year old with asperger also has an eating-problem. She is constantly asking when its time for the next meal and at meal-time she eats large portions but nevertheless gets hungry again within an hour. I am not sure if its really hunger she feels as she seems to talk more about eating when she doesnt have anything to do, if she has a friend over she seems to be too busy.

She has not yet been started on medication but her psychiatrist wants me to consider it, but I dont know which kind yet. Is there anything in the asperger diagnosis itself that causes the over-eating :?:

Hope somebody knows
Best wishes

CECILIA
from what i have seen mothers and fathers love their kids that no matter what they ask them they do it,thats not love,if u love your child think about all the problems being over weight causes,medication i know nothing about but she doesnt need it, medication is for the sick ,AS is not a sickness.
100% support,boost her self esteem,communication.
making her fear something its the worst! she will trust u on that even if you are joking just to get her to stop doing it.

-from a person whose parents never understood AS

peace

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2007, 10:41 pm

scampies1 wrote:
My 12 year old daughter with Aspergers is on two medications. THe first one is Prozac the second is Resperidone. She is on REsperidone to control her temper. The side effect is weight gain, because it makes her hungry. THis stupid medication has made her obsessed with food. I am always fighting her to stay out of the kitchen and when she is depressed she makes comments that she wants to eat her life away.
Does anyone else have this type of problem?

Is there nothing else she can take to control her temper? Her teenage years are ahead and for her emotional health, it is very important that she doesn't become overweight. She already has Aperger's, she doesn't need extra pounds to further hinder her social life. I'm sure you know that already, but really, the medication sounds like it will cause her more harm than good in the long run.

itsangel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2007, 11:28 pm

take your kid of the medican and deal with the problem
if your kid is not sleeping all night ......don't give medican
if your kid has a temper problem.......don't give medican

deal with it anouther way until your child is calm and you have both worked it out
it's hard work but it can be done

but honestly stop drugging your kid up

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 5:11 pm

I agree medication should be a last resort - but sometimes it is the lesser evil. If your kid is really suffering, (some kids with autism or AS have massive emotional or behavioral problems), and non-medical approaches haven't worked, there is no alternative.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 7:50 pm

I was on some sort of medication when I was ten. Anyway, all it seemed to do to me was make me lose weight. So I ended up at ten years old and 4'00" tall weighing 39 pounds. I remember I had weighed 48 pounds and was 3'6" three years before that, so yeah. Now I'm eighteen years old, 5'3" and 92 pounds. I never really did gain that weight back but I am working on it!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Feb 2007, 8:22 pm

I eat way too much. I've found that if I do something pleasant before eating, sometimes I don't need to eat. This was the result of the Too Loud book about sensory diet. Same for meltdowns. The thing I use is the vibrating footbath with bubbles (I forget the name). The trick is to find things that are pleasant, since most things are worth avoiding. Another thing I tried and liked is a massaging pad for the recliner.

On the other hand, meds can wreak havoc with eating. I don't know if there's any fighting that.

I'm distressed by the idea of the locking up the food. I'm past middle age now, but I remember that everybody was mean to me all the time, and nobody wanted me to be comforted, and if I found any comfort (food) they would take it away. Later in life, I turned to wine - when a therapist asked why, I said "Because wine is nice to me. Nobody is nice to me."

Surely your daughter could have endless quantities of air-popped popcorn?

Maybe try a foot massage?

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Feb 2007, 8:49 pm

there are other medicines that do the same thing without weight gain, I believe.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 9:20 pm

Geez, Claradoon, I've never heard of that approach but it makes so much sense! :O

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 9:22 pm

I would recommend regular exercise to offset the effects of overeating. Diets are a bad way to go. Exercise speeds up the metabolism, but dieting slows down the metabolism which is why you gain the weight back so quickly after a diet.

I consume an average of 4000-4500 calories a day and I never gain a pound. I lift weights every other day (its bad for you if you do it everyday) and I run on treadmills and sometimes just out of hyperness. Burn the calories. The key is not to be sporadic, make sure you do the exercise regularly whatever you decide on.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 9:26 pm

One more thing, don't do the weights if they're under 16. Find some way to get them to run around a lot.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Feb 2007, 10:45 pm

KimJ wrote:
Geez, Claradoon, I've never heard of that approach but it makes so much sense! :O

In that event, may I recommend my favourite book:

Too Loud Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight
What to do if you are sensory defensive in an overstimulating world
Sharon Heller, PhD
ISBN 0 06 019520 7

Other suggestions: weighted blanket, earplugs, full spectrum lighting, hoodies, body sock.

The hardest thing for me to learn was the *idea* of pleasure. I had to make it an obligation, with a schedule.

Good luck to all of us. :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Feb 2007, 10:56 pm

Claradoon wrote:
KimJ wrote:

In that event, may I recommend my favourite book:
Too Loud Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight
What to do if you are sensory defensive in an overstimulating world
Sharon Heller, PhD
ISBN 0 06 019520 7

Oops, should've given you the url, here you go -

http://tinyurl.com/2vb84g

deedee26
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2007, 11:07 pm

Hi! I have a daughter 16,she is on risperdoll,also a few others.She also stuffs herself just like you said.Its like she has no shut off valve!! She has been gaining weight.The Dr is taking her off of that medslowly and has started her on lamectal.I know how everyone feels, its so hard for them anyway and this only compounds it all.Water is what we were told also,we buy botteled water 6oz or how ever they come ,i see it dissapering faster then i used to see her drinking from the faucet or even out of the gallon of water in the fridg,flavored water may help get started although the additives arent so good :? Its so hard to know what to do i know!! we havee tried hideing food but it somehow always comes up missing!!we cant buy food for longer then a couple of days or it will be gone also!! It sounds like we are all in the boat together,keep on rowing! :) take care ok