Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Eliasandjonasmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2013, 5:45 pm

Okay so my 12yr old son got bullied in gym class. Now today, the teacher talked with him about changing his clothes in the staff bathroom so he wouldn't have to deal with the bully in the locker room, or the other boys who were laughing at him when the bully was doing his thing. My son happily agreed to this. So while I recognize the school took steps to keep my kid safe, shouldn't the other boy be the one to have to go change in the staff room? He is the one who has a problem keeping his mouth shut, and his hands at home. It wasn't my kids fault that this boy decided to make someone a victim that day. This just really pissed me off. I suppose as long as the school is trying to stop the bullying from happening, and my boy is happy with the arrangement I should be glad they did something at all. This just burns me, that my son didn't start this situation yet he's the one that has to go change for class elsewhere. Whatever...

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 6:08 pm

I see your point, but if I am to be completely honest, my 12 year old son would be beyond happy to be able to avoid the locker room for changing. It is extremely chaotic and stressful for him. And he is chubby, so on top of all of his other social issues, he is self conscious about that. I'm not saying you are wrong to be miffed, but sometimes when we look at the things that tick us off from our children's perspectives, they might actually be good things. As a matter of fact, I wish I wouldn't have had to use the locker room, too, so I wonder if it may be a spectrummy-trend to loathe the locker room. Or maybe not even spectrummy. Maybe it's just everyone who is not a super-cool-popular-jock who hates the locker room.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:08 pm

Having been in nearly the same situation(s) myself - though the gym thing was never handled by the teachers - I have been in parallel situations regarding adjustments made which singled me out.

I would say better safe than sorry, with regards to the alternate arrangements. Gym locker room can be very dangerous place to be assaulted.

And you may not like what I have to say next, but it is my own personal experience (reposting from another thread).

OddFiction wrote:
Boys.
I was taunted horribly in gym classes, etc. Nearly killed by a peer at a bus shelter (some of the football team guys actually came and saved my ass - probably because they already hated the guy who was trashing me - I will always be greatful to those fellows).

For the majority of late elementary (i dont remember much prior to grade 4) all the way through to grade 10 I was frequently bullied.

Finally in grade ten, Mr. Stanley's science class (read: The Monotone Man and the Lectures No-one Listened to) I was targetted repeatedly (and the teacher ignored repeatedly) by minor irritants (theft of pen, spitballs, etc).

And I snapped. I decided that if the authority figure was going to do nothing about the problem I would.

The first time I grabbed my pen back it somehow led to a physical fight - which I lost, severely. Though I bled all over the jerk's favourite baseball cap.
The second time, I waited till end of class, whipped a spitball back at the dweeb who'd been chucking them all class, and headed for the hallway. He grabbed my backpack - I didn't turn around but warned him to let go... repeatedly... then got fed up and REALLY snapped - we fought up and down the hallway for a while before an english teacher across the hall broke it up. I never got any serious abuse after that one (nor did I get in trouble - though the other fellow got 3 days suspension).

I think that was my last fight, ever, and the last time anyone seriously singled me out for abuse.

The idea being that if you can get away, do. Never start it. Never fight just because there is a fight.
But sometimes you have to show them that you aren't a crybaby. Especially with boys.

And all it takes, sometimes, is that IF you can't get away, you at least face the bully and show him - and the people watching - that (a) you tried to get away, but that (b) if you are cornered, you are going to do something.

People are animals. When an animal is cornered (ie a gym locker room) and fails to "flight or fight" response, bullies are going to keep showing up (they multiply like bacteria) and playing with this toy that doesn't behave like all the other little animals. It's different. It's curious. It's a catnip mouse.

Well if the catnip bites back, the shock might just teach the cats to play with something else next time.
Because you can't fix a bully, you can only relocate him.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

I agree with the other posters about being satisfied with your son being able to change separately. I assure you this is a privilege not a punishment. Had my son stayed in public school, I had every intention of asking for this pre-emptively and fighting for it, hard. Harder than I pushed for OT, even.

I have heard way too many stories about boys' locker rooms. Think about it this way, even if -you- view this as a reward for the boy and a punishment for your son: What if they "exiled" the other boy and then his friends decided to pick up where he left off to get brownie points with the bully. You don't want that.

There is a reason your son jumped at this. I really think it is best. The locker room is not some great socializing opportunity. It is awful.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:55 pm

Eliasandjonasmom wrote:
Okay so my 12yr old son got bullied in gym class. Now today, the teacher talked with him about changing his clothes in the staff bathroom so he wouldn't have to deal with the bully in the locker room, or the other boys who were laughing at him when the bully was doing his thing. My son happily agreed to this. So while I recognize the school took steps to keep my kid safe, shouldn't the other boy be the one to have to go change in the staff room? He is the one who has a problem keeping his mouth shut, and his hands at home. It wasn't my kids fault that this boy decided to make someone a victim that day. This just really pissed me off. I suppose as long as the school is trying to stop the bullying from happening, and my boy is happy with the arrangement I should be glad they did something at all. This just burns me, that my son didn't start this situation yet he's the one that has to go change for class elsewhere. Whatever...

Is it just me or do people have it backwards?

I can remember being moved to the front of the bus, I can remember not going outside for recess because of how kids would treat me, and of course I have read online about adoption how some parents would keep their own children locked in their rooms to protect them from the violent one whom they adopted. To me that is like locking away everyone else and not locking away the criminals just to protect the innocent people whom they have locked behind bars. Sadly the same thing happens with bullying too. To protect the victim, separate them from the bullies instead of the other way around.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:43 am

League Girl,

I agree with you on principle. If it were something valuable that he was missing, and they were just doing it b/c it is the easiest path, then I would get that more.

Getting out of locker room nonsense seems like a good thing, though. I assume that ilocker rooms aew set up that way b/c it is more economical to have big open spaces like that, but I guess I always objected in principle to not being afforded privacy when changing (even without bullies.

I never got anything constructive out of locker rooms, and there just does not seem any upside to it, unless he enjoys the unstructured social aspect of it. It sounds like her son was very happy about being opted out of it, and so to me that means that maybe it is the right thing for him.

Eliasandjonasmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2013, 8:36 am

Thank you all for your posts. Since my son told me he has to change separately now, he is totally happy and hasn't said another word to me about it. I guess I'm the one whom it bothered mostly, it just seemed so unfair. I wish they could do something more to teach the other boy bullying isn't an option, but like I said they didnt share what his punishment was or if his parents were contacted about it. Probably because it involves protecting the privacy of a minor. Since he caused the whole thing that really had me fired up. As long as my kids safe and happy I will just have to accept it for now. Thank you again you all had great points to consider : )

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

I do think this is a very satisfactory solution. After all, if you can't prove which person is the actual bully (bullies LOVE to get their victims in trouble for bullying), you can at least SEPARATE them so that NO MATTER WHO the guilty party is, the behavior at least can't continue. Most kids, in my opinion, would do better without the body (or worse, "size") comparisons, snapping with towels, locking in lockers, etc. If there's a lot of that going on, I'd understand a "mass locker room walk-out!" It'll leave all the bullies to pick on people their own size...

AQ: 33

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 6:01 am

I think it's wonderful that they let him change somewhere else.

When I was about that age I was expected to change for gym in a locker room in front of others. I just refused to do it and eventually just skipped gym and walked home every day I had gym just to avoid it. Gym was my last class of the day.

It never occurred to me to change somewhere else and no one suggested it to me. I went to school in my gym clothes on gym days and they didn't like that.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2013, 10:59 am

hanyo wrote:
I think it's wonderful that they let him change somewhere else.

When I was about that age I was expected to change for gym in a locker room in front of others. I just refused to do it and eventually just skipped gym and walked home every day I had gym just to avoid it. Gym was my last class of the day.

It never occurred to me to change somewhere else and no one suggested it to me. I went to school in my gym clothes on gym days and they didn't like that.

Don't wanna sound rude, but your school f***ing sucked :lol:

Now I am in HS and there are separate rooms in the locker room where you can change without being seen my others. Also you can change in the toilette, that's what I do.

When I was in middle school there weren't separate rooms in the locker room but I went to school directly with my gym clothes on from my house and no one has ever told me not to do that; but actually I pretty much wore only sport clothes at that time because they are comfortable, I don't think anyone noticed any difference between the way I was dressed during days of gym class and days without gym class, because there wasn't any.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 11:07 am

droppy wrote:

Now I am in HS and there are separate rooms in the locker room where you can change without being seen my others. Also you can change in the toilette, that's what I do.

Maybe over time things are getting better? I'm 38 and was expected to change in a room full of people but not shower. No one showered. When my mother was in school they expected you to shower in a communal locker room too. My mother refused.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2013, 12:41 pm

hanyo wrote:
droppy wrote:

Maybe over time things are getting better? I'm 38 and was expected to change in a room full of people but not shower. No one showered. When my mother was in school they expected you to shower in a communal locker room too. My mother refused.

Maybe they got better, but your school really seemed to suck.
I mean, my father is 58 and at school he refused to change in a room full of people (he still does, in fact at work he changes in a separate place where his coworkers can't see him) but they always let him go to school directly in his gym outfit or allowed him to change in a separate room. Same goes with my mother who's 59. They didn't use to shower in school, and I don't either because in my school there are no showers. There used to be showers in middle school and they were separate but I have never used them.
In the gym where I do karate now there is a common locker room but my father always drives me there quite early when no one is in the room so I can change without people in front of me. At the end of the lesson when I have to change again there are people in the locker room, but I found a place between the walls and the door I go to to change and nobody can see me from there.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 1:38 am

After resisting changing altogether by instinct I changed in the washroom, I had been inside the change rooms for other reasons and knew I was not doing that and wondered how changing in front of others was even legal. The school's and teachers never had any issues with that using the washroom and the locations were always close. One student in Grade 7 did ask why I did this and did tell me that the other kids were making fun of me for my choice not to change in the room and he suggested I start using the change room. I did not and never found out what kids were making fun of me, just something to think about.