Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2014, 2:10 pm

I was looking at information on why we have phosphates in so many foods, since they are poisons to living creatures in water, and found they may cause ADD in people.
They are in all kinds of products! Cereal, velveeta, lunchmeats, leavenings, toothpastes, mouthwashes.
But in my aquarium they are poison? And they are in all this stuff we eat in small amounts! Wtf?
I love my fish. I keep this stuff out of the tank. I would not feed it a a kid, or eat it myself.

I grew up aware of this ingredient. Lots of foods were perfectly safe without it.
If it can trigger ADD, why is it in SO much food?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:59 pm

Is there an established connection between phosphorous and ADD? I did an admittedly quick Google search and only came up with assertions from unestablished sources.

I did find this:

http://water.epa.gov/type/rsl/monitoring/vms56.cfm explains the role of phosphorous in the aquatic food web.

I also looked in Wikipedia, and found information about who phosphorous unbalances an ecosystem which is not the same as poisoning it. There was also some information about a link between elevated heavy metal levels and phosphorous rock processing. I found nothing about ADD, but I am sleepy and may have missed something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphate

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2014, 11:35 am

My net access is limited.
Try searches on sodium phosphate, potassium phosphate, calcium phosphate.
Look in your cupboards and the store shelves. It's everywhere!
I would say magnesium phosphate may be next but that might be a whoops, lol.
That's an autie physics joke. Phosphorus and magnesium might interact explosively around sparky neurons. Ha ha not.
Phyre

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

I am not doubting that it is used as an additive. I am doubting whether or not there is a scientifically verified link between these additives and ADD.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 1:49 pm

After doing some quick research I believe it is possible that OP has made a mistake. There is zero literature linking ADHD or ADD to dietary phosphates. Zip. However there are plenty of articles linking ADHD and or ADD to ORGANOphosphates. Organophosphates are NOT dietary. They are (generally) pesticides. Among other nasty things.

Big difference. Organophosphates =/ phosphates.

If I'm wrong, sorry. But that is all I could find.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 2:57 pm

Thanks, CWA,