should I send my kid to another school?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sidney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 4:47 pm

My 7-yr old is in a small method school. It's a great school, but very chaotic. Very neo-hippy, lots of group work, very few rules, but a lot of 'agreements' instead.

They ask a lot from kids on a social and emotional level. My son seems to be enjoying himself there, but also gets hyper a lot and overstimulated.He's also gifted, and bored. The educational level is kinda low, he's being understimulated on an intellectual level. They're all about learning by doing, which is great, but it doesn't level with him.
He has Tourette's and he tics a lot when he comes out of school. They also don't follow the IEP like they should. It's clear that they don't really believe in structure and routine, they don't even fill in agendas. They messed up badly a few times, various incidents. So I'm very dissapointed.

The teacher he would get next year, does have experience with ASD kids and seems very willing to do better. Also, he doesn't want to leave. He has two friends there. He says he only wants to switch 'if they come with him'; which of course isn't possible.

I can send him to another school that is experienced with gifted children and have a great program. He would definitely get challenged and actually learn something there. They say they have some other kids on the spectrum there.

But, there's more kids in his classroom, school is bigger and there is a lot less emphasis on group activities and less free play. And, it did feel like our talk had to go very quickly and they weren't really that comfortable with the Tourette's part. The brief talk I had with the principal and the teacher just felt unpersonal, like they weren't really that interested in his 'profile'. That worries me, because you really need to understand his Dxs in order to get his behaviour.

So I got neo-hippie chaotic school vs unpersonal and aloof yet seemingly professional people. He doens't want to switch, but I don't want to leave the decision up to him. He seems to be emotionally fragile at this moment, and a more structured environment seems the logical way to go, but I'm worried the school might be worse. What if he gets bullied? What if he can't get over the change? What if his Tourette's gets worse and the teacher doesn't understand? We are starting therapy, but I need to take a decision about the school problem now. Advice greatly appreciated!

setai
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2014, 5:27 pm

sidney wrote:
So I got neo-hippie chaotic school vs unpersonal and aloof yet seemingly professional people. He doens't want to switch, but I don't want to leave the decision up to him. He seems to be emotionally fragile at this moment, and a more structured environment seems the logical way to go, but I'm worried the school might be worse. What if he gets bullied? What if he can't get over the change? What if his Tourette's gets worse and the teacher doesn't understand? We are starting therapy, but I need to take a decision about the school problem now. Advice greatly appreciated!

My guy is 4 so I haven?t been through this yet, so some of the other parents might have a better perspective. If it was my guy, I would pick the neo hippie school for couple of reasons, because my husband and I can handle the academics gap, he is happy and he has friends where he is at. I don?t know how bad the incidents you mentioned were, but you said the new teacher is experienced with ASD and very receptive, so it seems like it might be resolved.

However, I don?t know if the social issue is a big problem for your son. My son still won?t initiate play with other kids, so the idea of him have two good friends sounds like winning the lottery right now. He likes other kids, but he wouldn?t want anyone to go with him like your son does. He really just bonds with adults. I can?t get or maintain friends for my son, but reading and math, I can do that. If he struggles with the way I teach, I can learn another method. Most bright kids with some support will learn and as long as you keep on top of it, he won?t get behind academically. It is exponentially harder as a kid gets older to make friends if they lag in social skills. However, sometimes super bright kids struggle with school academics because of other issues or you don?t have the bandwidth to be the tutor to supplement his school. I would try to work w the teach to supplement his academics so he doesn?t get too bored at school though.

If he struggled at the new school what is the likely hood of going back to the method school? Where I live there is a public school lottery, so try and see isn?t an option here.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 6:44 pm

He's happy, he has friends, next year's teacher has ASD experience, and the school isn't trying to get you to leave. I'd say that's worth staying for another year.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 7:06 pm

I agree with Zette. If your child is thriving socially and the school is accommodating your child's needs, academic enrichment can come at home. I would be very reticent about putting my child somewhere where they were reluctant to deal with his issues.

If they are inflexible, they can make your child's life very unpleasant.

Just my 2 cents.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 7:29 pm

I wouldn't move my kid from a school where he has friends, no matter how hippy-dippy it is.
Things at the new school could be much, much worse.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 7:45 pm

It helps if you can get a feel for whether kids seem happy and especially whether differences are tolerated and accepted. Observing if that's permitted helps.

sidney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2014, 4:01 am

The incidents were pretty bad. He once accidently hung himself while playing on the slides, there was nobody around, I got in just in time. I found knives in the library. They seem to 'not believe' his ASD, talk al lot about 'emotional blockage' and 'not being motivated or mature'. They refuse to use the communication 'methods' I ask them to use, eg when they do group projects, the kids need to figure out themselves what to do. Which leads to my kid never knowing what to do and therefore getting bad scores on group projects, and hating the projects all toghether, which is a problem since it's almost every afternoon. They refuse to give him a clear task, because that's against their philosophy.
After school camp, he broke down and said he didn't want to live anymore. I don't know what happend, but I do know they refused to use the daychart his OT made to get soms kind of structure. They let them sleep in tents quite far from the summer cabin so he stayed up way too late and probably got overloaded. He cried for hours when he came back. This is a school camp incident, I know it's different from actual school, but it illustrates the way they deal with my pleads for structure and clarity. WHich also makes his OCD worse. Sometimes when I pick him up, he insists on going out the way he got in, following the exact same route. He tics like crazy when he gets out. The lack of structure is feeding his OCD and Tourette's, even if he isn't aware of it.

Then again, as people say, other school could be worse. But they won't be trying to cure him with yoga, if you know what I mean. I won't be getting emails like 'we put your son together with 7 other kids in a unsupervised classroom for a couple of hours and are dissapointed that he wasn't working when we stepped in'. The other school has a lot of gifted kids and ASD kids, the new teacher has experience with spectrum kids as well. I was just a bit dissapointed with their seemingly disinterest in his psychiatric profile. Maybe that was a bit too speculative. God, this is hard.

sidney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2014, 4:55 am

also, there is a shortage of schools. So if I stay, I probably have to stay for the remaining years and I heard the teacher in the year after the next, is not very open to special kids.

If I go, I might be able to go back if it backfires, but there is no guarantee.

sidney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2014, 5:20 am

and to make it harder, schools are closed now. I read the screening rapport from the ministry of Education, which was excellent. The screening rapport of the hippy-dippies was pretty awful.

Basically, it's choosing between a pretty bad school for Aspies vs a good school on paper. But with the risk of not fitting in anyway.

I had a secret option number three; a special needs school. They said the don't have enough resources to deal with the Tourette part. I can't believe this. I feel like going into the ministry of Education and doing a John Q.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2014, 6:58 am

I agree that you have a tough decision. It does not sound like any of the schools want to work with you for the benefit of your son. I am not familiar on how special education works in Belgium. Do you have IEPs or anything else the schools are required to follow?

Are there kids in your neighborhood that go to the new school? Perhaps their parents can recommend other kids in the school at your son's social maturity level. Or perhaps the new school staff can make recommendations. You can approach those parents and see if the kids would like to get together. If your son makes friend(s) this summer with one or more kids at the new school, perhaps you can get permission for them to show him around the week before school restarts in the fall. This summer your son would see friends from both schools, gradually more with the new school. I did this when we moved from the suburbs to the country and it worked well, but was crazy for me because the sitter was from the suburbs and stayed with us for 4 days a week in the country during the summer, so I was constantly driving everyone around.

You would want an more socially mature buddy to teach your son Instrumental Social Skills. Instrumental skills are mainly about getting what you need and about fitting in. Instrumental Skills are applicable to situations in which people typically behave in predictable, scripted ways (eg. Social Stories). But you want kids at your son's same social maturity level to develop Relational Social Skills, the unpredictable dynamic Give and Take, where there are multiple perspectives where they learn there is more than one right way of thinking, feeling, solving a problem and behaving.

The school could assign a kind buddy or two for the transition for the Instrumental Social Skills introduction to the new school.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 7:13 am

We had the opportunity to switch my daughter to a school that had a program just for HFA and aspergers kids built into the main stream curriculum. We turned it down. IT busts my buttons because when we started her at her curent school the first words out of my mouth at the very first few IEP meetings were "If there is another school better suited to her needs, please tell US now and make that an option NOW because we won't move her later unless you force us to or unless she is is really miserable here." They assured me that no school was better equipped to handle her...

Two years later she was doing well and had everything she needed when they said, "Oh by they way. There is a school 1 mile away that has this program etc... she might be better off there." I said , "Do you remember what I said about that?" And they said "Yeah BUT we think you'll like it so much you'll move her over there." So I humored them and toured it. Now, had they made this an option when she was still in kindergarten, I would have been all for it. The thing is that NOW she has formed some attachments to people in her school. Teachers, students. Nothing super strong, nothing I would really term a "Friendship" but they're there. The last thing I want to do is to further cement in her mind the UNimportance of attachments to others by breaking all those bonds and plopping her in a brand new and unfamiliar school filled with people she doesn't know and who don't know her. Not only would that set her off kilter in a serious way, but it's going to teach her that bonds with other people are low on the totem pole of importancy. So I have turned it down for now. The door is open though if we need it. The only way I would do it is if she, for whatever reason, became profoundly miserable at her current school.

So no. If he isn't complaining and has a couple of friends, I wouldn't move him.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 7:19 am

sidney wrote:
The incidents were pretty bad. He once accidently hung himself while playing on the slides, there was nobody around, I got in just in time. I found knives in the library. They seem to 'not believe' his ASD, talk al lot about 'emotional blockage' and 'not being motivated or mature'. They refuse to use the communication 'methods' I ask them to use, eg when they do group projects, the kids need to figure out themselves what to do. Which leads to my kid never knowing what to do and therefore getting bad scores on group projects, and hating the projects all toghether, which is a problem since it's almost every afternoon. They refuse to give him a clear task, because that's against their philosophy.
After school camp, he broke down and said he didn't want to live anymore. I don't know what happend, but I do know they refused to use the daychart his OT made to get soms kind of structure. They let them sleep in tents quite far from the summer cabin so he stayed up way too late and probably got overloaded. He cried for hours when he came back. This is a school camp incident, I know it's different from actual school, but it illustrates the way they deal with my pleads for structure and clarity. WHich also makes his OCD worse. Sometimes when I pick him up, he insists on going out the way he got in, following the exact same route. He tics like crazy when he gets out. The lack of structure is feeding his OCD and Tourette's, even if he isn't aware of it.

Then again, as people say, other school could be worse. But they won't be trying to cure him with yoga, if you know what I mean. I won't be getting emails like 'we put your son together with 7 other kids in a unsupervised classroom for a couple of hours and are dissapointed that he wasn't working when we stepped in'. The other school has a lot of gifted kids and ASD kids, the new teacher has experience with spectrum kids as well. I was just a bit dissapointed with their seemingly disinterest in his psychiatric profile. Maybe that was a bit too speculative. God, this is hard.

I am guessing you can't get an aide at the hippy school?

That might be a solution if they could tolerate that. The aide could make sure he is safe and sneak in some guidance so he knows what the heck is supposed to do.

I don't understand why the ASD place and the special needs school are not trained to handle Tourette's. It is a common co-morbid is it not? I would think it would be similar to how they deal with stimming--I know not the same--but similar?

sidney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2014, 7:25 am

Quote:
I am guessing you can't get an aide at the hippy school?

no, they don't have money. Parents need to clean the school and do all the transport to camps and so on. He gets an OT once a week, but since they just don't stick to her recommendations, it's really not helping that much.

Quote:
I don't understand why the ASD place and the special needs school are not trained to handle Tourette's. It is a common co-morbid is it not? I would think it would be similar to how they deal with stimming--I know not the same--but similar?

They said they had other kids with tics. It was just the moment were I suggested a meeting with his therapists, they wanted to schedule that in a 30 mns meeting 3 days before school starts. I thought that was a bit dismissive. Maybe I'm too strict.

The special needs school recommended a different type of school, type 3, which is for kids with 'severe emotional or behavioral issues'. Tourettes is neither. There's just no place for him. I have to choose the less of two evils.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2014, 7:41 am

Friends are very important, but what is most important in a school is how well the adults want to work for what is best for your child.

Kids on the spectrum rarely learn Relational Social Skills by casual interaction with typical peers. They need to start out with a safe trusted adult to teach imitation, joint attention, and other social referencing skills. Then build toward shared responsibility for the relationship and how to repair and maintain relationships. Once they get this, they are ready to build relationships with same social level peers with the gentle coaching of the adult.

Expecting them to learn by chance frequently leads to social burn out and retreat because they forced to do too much they are unprepared for with too little payoff.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2014, 7:48 am

To much emphasis is placed on having friends that kids on the spectrum will except "one-way friends" to just have a friend. Too little emphasis is placed on building skills to build relationships which are generalizable to many relationships.

It is not how many friends you have. It is the quality of the relationship that is important.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 8:27 am

KariLynn wrote:
To much emphasis is placed on having friends that kids on the spectrum will except "one-way friends" to just have a friend. Too little emphasis is placed on building skills to build relationships which are generalizable to many relationships.

It is not how many friends you have. It is the quality of the relationship that is important.

I don't disagree with that. The friends he has may be real friends, though. It is hard not to weight that as a serious plus. It doesn't mean he won't make friends at a new place, of course.

Even "one way friends" can help protect a kid from some bullying to some degree if the one-way friend means well.

Most schools will not teach pragmatic socialization skills other than when an AS child crosses a line he doesn't know is there to say, "Stop that!" or to punish. Even the good teachers don't have time to walk the kid through what is expected very often. Social stories only work to a point when no one is prompting on the spot when a kid has a very significant deficit.

Others may have experienced better, but I have not.