eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 11:14 am

coschristi wrote:
BobinPgh wrote:
The world is overpopulated
No it’s not.

Hmm, have you taken a look at satellite maps of Tokyo or Los Angeles? Or take this: population density of Manhattan: 66,940 people per square mile (each person would be entitled to a space of about 6x6 square meters.) Did you know China used to have elephants and rhinos roaming?

But no worries. As my paleontologist friend told me once: the destiny of all species is extinction. We are heading there soon enough.

Quote:
None of my kids “had” or “have” an ASD. My youngest one regressed into ASD & is autistic.

I really hate that term. I mean, it is well established the autistic brain is already different inside the womb. Recent stem cells studies further show that autistic neurons become different after merely 4 days of development. So, how can someone "regress" to autism, if it has always been there, from the beginning?

coschristi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2019, 9:54 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
Hmm, have you taken a look at satellite maps of Tokyo or Los Angeles? Or take this: population density of Manhattan: 66,940 people per square mile (each person would be entitled to a space of about 6x6 square meters.)

I was born in Tokyo & will be in Manhattan in about 3 weeks. I’ve been to L.A. I live in a county where there are 292 people per square mile, in a state with 52 people per square mile. Several counties in my state are at 0.8 people per square mile.

Worldwide, 50% of the earth’s population lives on about 1% of it’s land.

eikonabridge wrote:
But no worries. As my paleontologist friend told me once: the destiny of all species is extinction.

I would imagine that to a Paleontologist, it would appear that way. It would seem that humans are certainly trying to tempt fate, so who knows?

eikonabridge wrote:
I really hate that term. I mean, it is well established the autistic brain is already different inside the womb. Recent stem cells studies further show that autistic neurons become different after merely 4 days of development. So, how can someone "regress" to autism, if it has always been there, from the beginning?

Cells from autistic people growing differently than cells from neurotypical people but similar to other autistic people ... Is not earth shattering.

What I might be interested in, is if they studied cell growth from NT bio parents & NT siblings & compared that to the related autistic person. At the most, the stem cell studies may lend themselves in support of the BAP (broad autistic phenotype).

Recent studies on the actual post-mortem brain tissue from autistics show overgrown synapses due to a lack of synaptic pruning. Synaptogenesis starts during the postnatal period & peaks around 3 years of age & synapses are learning-based. The impaired synaptic pruning is proven to be associated with viral biomarkers.

How can your synapses be overgrown before they develop? How can you be born autistic before the synapses have even started forming?

Those studies are fascinating & may provide valuable information in the future but what I fear is that some will try to profit from promising “cures” by brain regeneration. I’m autistic. I’d rather not have my brain regrown, thanks. Neither would I allow it for my severely autistic son.

Lastly, my point would be that by your logic; people who develop Alzheimer’s when elderly are born with Alzheimer’s & other people are born Schizophrenic.. Both are associated with impaired synaptic pruning & viral biomarkers; same brain changes at different developmental stages.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2019, 11:44 pm

coschristi wrote:
I live in a county where there are 292 people per square mile, in a state with 52 people per square mile. Several counties in my state are at 0.8 people per square mile. ... Worldwide, 50% of the earth’s population lives on about 1% of it’s land.

Then tell me why China cannot feed its own people and has to import food. (Suffices to mention soy in the current trade war.) That's right: people need land to grow food. Tell me why US subsidizes growth of corn ever after oil embargo in the 1970s. That's right, before the shale revolution, corn was part of the reserve of energy for the USA if ever there were another oil embargo. Corn is part of national security. Not all land can be inhabited. You need resources: food, oxygen, forest (wood), energy (ethanol, like Brazil), etc.

The problem is not the lack of land surface area: there are plenty of mountains, deserts, ice-covered areas. The problem is the lack of arable and inhabitable land areas. US is not the world. US is an exception, in having so much usable flatland.

As I have told you, take a look at the satellite picture of Tokyo, LA, then and only then, talk. There is no flatland anywhere in these areas where people can live, anymore. These are spots visible from space. Humans definitely have changed the whole planet. (I remember when I was in Hawaii how the locals detested developing Hawaii by following the California model. They said, they did not want "Californication." That tells you something.)

Take this news: Nearly All Coal-Fired Power Plants in U.S. Are Contaminating Nearby Groundwater, New Report Finds https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/contamination-report-coal-plant-groundwater-unsafe.html Or just think about why eating too much fish is considered a health hazard today (mercury).

I am not an environmentalist. I am a realist. The role of humans is only passing. We live inside the Technological Singularity. Humans are but only one passing step in the big scheme of things. They'll be remembered as crazy little creatures.

Quote:
Recent studies on the actual post-mortem brain tissue ...

That's not recent at all. That's old news.

Quote:
How can your synapses be overgrown before they develop?

You mean babies don't have synapses?

I tracked the following article to the journal article. That's where it shows that after merely 4 days of neuron development, the neurite length and complexity of autistic neurons are already different: https://www.salk.edu/news-release/salk-team-reveals-clues-into-early-development-of-autism-spectrum-disorder/.

See also https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/26/294446735/brain-changes-suggest-autism-starts-in-the-womb. It's old news.

coschristi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2019, 8:47 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
Then tell me why China cannot feed its own people and has to import food. (Suffices to mention soy in the current trade war.) That's right: people need land to grow food. Tell me why US subsidizes growth of corn ever after oil embargo in the 1970s. That's right, before the shale revolution, corn was part of the reserve of energy for the USA if ever there were another oil embargo. Corn is part of national security. Not all land can be inhabited. You need resources: food, oxygen, forest (wood), energy (ethanol, like Brazil), etc.

China (& India) would do better by their citizens if they stopped displacing entire communities in order to acquisition lands for “progress & development”. There are some Chinese who allege that many of China’s natural disasters that preceded famines did not happen; that those reports were international propaganda.

Many of those acquisitions resulted in elaborate & wasteful projects; some never even completed & millions of people have been forced out of ancestral agricultural lands & relocated en masses to densely populated urban areas to wait for compensation that never comes. Chinese Law now does not permit citizens to own land; they now must lease it from the state.

China doesn’t need to feed its people; they need to stop interfering with the people feeding themselves.

eikonabridge wrote:
I am not an environmentalist. I am a realist. The role of humans is only passing. We live inside the Technological Singularity. Humans are but only one passing step in the big scheme of things. They'll be remembered as crazy little creatures.
LOL. I’m with you on that one.

eikonabridge wrote:
That's not recent at all. That's old news.
Yeah, it’s old enough to be infuriating that they knew about it for this long (1980s?) but until those donations of actual brain tissue became available (2014); nobody bothered to replicate the studies for the purpose of consensus. Now that every major research facility has the tissue, it’s been replicated all over the world. And the best they can do is “Maternal Immune Activation”. Infected Mommies? Of course.

eikonabridge wrote:
You mean babies don't have synapses?

I tracked the following article to the journal article. That's where it shows that after merely 4 days of neuron development, the neurite length and complexity of autistic neurons are already different: https://www.salk.edu/news-release/salk-team-reveals-clues-into-early-development-of-autism-spectrum-disorder/.

See also https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/26/294446735/brain-changes-suggest-autism-starts-in-the-womb. It's old news.

Yes of course babies are born with synapses; maybe I said that wrong but the learning based, sensory synapses go through their rapid growth post-nataly & synaptic pruning does not start until several months after birth. Babies can be born phenotypically ASD; that’s the genetic component of the multifactorial equation but the dysfunctional sensory perceptions & the autistic behaviors it causes are not being triggered until after birth. And given that the cytokine markers present the way they have been found to do; that trigger is an immune response to a viral exposure.

The Zombie Mommy (prenatal exposure via infected mothers) theory is predictable, given the awkward realities of what that might mean but it’s highly unlikely that atypical synaptic pruning is programmed into microglia cells, while in the womb & before the synapses have started to multiply due to a baby being born & learning about how life looks, sounds, smells, etc ...

Danger45
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2019, 11:19 pm

The world is over populated. And who cares how big a family is or isn’t. Some like lots of kids, some like no kids at all. Some do family planning based on their situation and ability to support their family, some don’t plan it at all. Each to their own.