Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tickanie
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2007, 6:29 pm

My two year old screams all the time high pitched...or he whines. I have no clue why or how to help him cope. He is usually frustrated with his toys not being as creative as he is...However I can't handle the screaming! I like total quiet...

krex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 8:51 pm

I wish I had a solution.I can only offer my complete empathy.This was one reason I decided not to have children...when I hear this noise I feel like I ambeing assaulted and have the natural flee or fight impulse,neither is appropriat.The closest situation I can relate is when my cat went into heat and wouldnt stop "crying"....it was so painful,I put her in the closet for the night and had her spayed the following day.....I am ashamed to admit this but glad that it wasnt a child.I think she did forgive me,we had a great relationship after that one experience.

I know there are other parents here who can offer you some suggestions but I at least wanted to offer my sympathy.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

wendytheweird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2007, 8:59 pm

I'm sorry. :( My older 2 kids were fairly quiet toddlers, but my 18 month old is a screamer. He sounds like a Nazgul when he really gets going. :( I can't stand it!

Only advice I have is to work really hard to remain calm and help him fi d the words. Just keep talking FOR him. "Oh you wanted your toy to do x, but it doesn't do that. That's very frustrating." And when you've had enough, lock yourself in the bathroom and get into a nice hot bath and when he starts banging on the door scooch down until your ears are under the water and hum something that makes you feel better for a few minutes.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 5:29 am

frustration tolerance is a very difficult thing to learn....

krex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 1:18 pm

This may sound a bit odd,but I work with dogs over nights and the howling doesnt bother me as much as the high pitched "yapping",so I wear ear plugs.I can still hear the dogs but it cuts down on the volume a little and that helps.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Tickanie
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Mar 2007, 2:04 pm

krex wrote:
I wish I had a solution.I can only offer my complete empathy.This was one reason I decided not to have children...when I hear this noise I feel like I ambeing assaulted and have the natural flee or fight impulse,neither is appropriat.

if only I had known I had aspergers before I had kids...I just go into a fit myself when he can't talk and screams. He now has a st and ot... they are somewhat helpful. I just can't figure out how to calm him.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 7:26 pm

everything here has been trial and error~LOTS of trials, LOTS of errors...but finally a solution for us. everyone is different, and it's hard to say what exactly would help. i know it's hard now, but you'll make it through somehow...my hubby who's aspie has learned better ways of coping over the years, i'm sure you'll figure things out.