Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2015, 5:23 am

This is a new thing for my son lately, I'm not exactly sure when it started.

I just found out it's called 'Palilalia'- basically he will repeat, very softly or in a whisper, the last syllable or last word he has said.
He doesn't seem to be experiencing any more anxiety than usual and it doesn't coincide with specific incidents of anxiety, it's pretty constant and regular now but not in every instance. He has had some tics before (skin picking and this teeth-sucking noise) that came and went. So maybe it is another tic like that and it will fade and be replaced by something else?
Also he is an echolaliac, but has a lot of non-echoing and spontaneous speech now as well.

I read that this is very commonly seen with Tourette's Syndrome- is this something I should look into?

I'm just interested to hear if anyone has had experience with this specifically.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 12:49 pm

Palilalia is like a tic, yes.
It may fade like his other tics.
I still do it sometimes.
It is weird, but not harmful.

yellowfinch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2015, 1:39 pm

My daughter did the same thing off and on around the ages of 7 and 8. She eventually just stopped doing it on her on.

We didn't draw attention to it, but her sister, as kids do, would ask her why she was whispering.

She's 19 now and remembers it, but doesn't know why she did.

ellemenope
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2015, 11:28 pm

Okay, thank you.
It's interesting because my two-year old has been kind of mimicking it too. I wasn't sure whether she started it first or he did.
I won't worry about it.

pinkfatticorn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2015, 2:36 pm

I do not have palilalia anymore but my daughter does. The doctors told me that it is a tic that shows up for her specifically when she is going through a big gain in skills. Apparently it isnt uncommon for people on the spectrum. I wouldnt worry about it or bring attention to it at all.