Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm

I think changing her name would be fine. I got my dog when he was three too, and we have no idea what his original name was because he was found as a stray (although has, clearly, lived in a home before). The shelter had given him a temporary name, then we changed it again. They figure out their names really fast.

That is a very cute dog.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

After a lot of thought, I've decided to name her Mitzi. I dunno why, but that name just feels right, you know?

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 1:05 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
After a lot of thought, I've decided to name her Mitzi. I dunno why, but that name just feels right, you know?

She totally looks like a "Mitzi."

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 1:45 pm

And you look like a Fitzi... eeeeeey.

Lol, but yeah, that's why I chose it. I was actually planning on naming her Amber, but then "Mitzi" popped into my head and... YES. Thanks :)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 3:05 pm

She's definitely a Mitzi. She's completely adorable. If your folks don't get over being upset about that PDQ, they're totally pathological.

You're independent and in your own place, so while it's very cool that you solicit their opinion, they really have no say.

Love on her and say her name a lot. She'll pick it up quickly.

And please consider a crate while you're at work. I crate our Lab/Cocker mix puppy while we're away because she has major chewing issues and I'm worried she'll choke herself if allowed free rein. She has a much better temperament than her litter mates who are never crated. Much less anxious.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 2:00 pm

Well, here she is! Mitzi officially has a new home!

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2016, 8:33 am

:heart: You two look so happy together! Congratulations!

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2016, 12:36 pm

You should see her when I get a treat out. She knows how to roll over, so she'll start rolling all over the place before you can even say anything. Sometimes she won't even actually roll over, she'll just spin around and be like "Yeah, that's good enough, right?"

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 6:21 pm

What a gorgeous wee dog! And definitely a Mitzi - the new name really suits her.

Edited to add: You originally asked about how to deal with your parents' controlling behaviour. CaptainAwkward.com is a very useful site with lots of very helpful information about how to set and keep boundaries with parents who keep trying to control adult children. Here's a link.https://captainawkward.com/category/parents/

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 7:48 pm

If you're living on your own and supporting and taking care of yourself then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to take care of a dog. Get one anyway. It's your life and if you can't take care of him then you can give him to someone else and find him a new home. You will never know until you try. If your parents are nervous and overprotective then you are going to have to eventually do something they consider disobedient so it might as well be this. They will get over it. They may worry more for a bit but they will get over it. And you will also get over any guilt you feel about it. That's normal feel if they have controlled you your whole life, but it's something you have to go through if you ever want to be emotionally independent.

I have four grown kids. 27, 22, 21, and my youngest will be 20 next month. My 22 year old is moving out next month and it's very sad for me because I know that unlike my boys, she won't be moving back home every so often. We talked about feelings and she said that even though we both know this is a good thing for her and the right thing to do, she feels guilty because I will be sad for a bit. I told her that's normal and will pass. So this is similar for you. Your whole life you tried to obey them and not make them worry or be mad and now you are doing something against what they want. But you are an adult and you need to do what makes you happy, not just what makes your parents happy.

Get the dog, tell them you are getting one and that its not a subject t you care to discuss with them because the decision has been made. Tell them you appreciate their concern but it's not open for discussion and if you have any problems with him that you will handle them yourself and not expect them to solve them for you.

What kind of dog do you want? I have two high content wolf husky hybrids and one purebred husky. They are pretty high maintenance so I wouldn't suggest that kind for an apartment. Labs are good dogs and as long as you take them out for daily walks and spend time with them they are good companions. So are golden retrievers and German shepherds. I don't know much about small dogs because I hate small dogs and haven't spent much time around any that changed that opinion, so I can't suggest a small breed.

If you want something lower maintenance than a dog though, you could just get a car. Cats don't need much of anything except litter and food. They come to you when they want to be petted and they don't require walking and they aren't loud.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com