I kind of hope my son is an Aspie.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chuckalicious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2018, 8:11 pm

As a parent, wishing your child has something which, to be brutally honest, makes life harder in the long run, is not a good thing. Just because you may be autistic, does not mean your child would benefit from being so. This isn't about you, or at least it shouldn't be.

Being autistic is not fun. It is not better. Being autistic, when looked at outside of the context of real life, is fine. But this is real life and the easier your child finds it the more chance of being happy they have.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant but as a parent, there is nothing more important than knowing your child will be ok, and whether or not it is politically correct, they have more chance of that if they are not autistic.

It really pisses me off how many autistic parents feel their children must be or should be autistic, just because they are. Don't push a disability on a child.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

chuckalicious wrote:
As a parent, wishing your child has something which, to be brutally honest, makes life harder in the long run, is not a good thing. Just because you may be autistic, does not mean your child would benefit from being so. This isn't about you, or at least it shouldn't be.

Being autistic is not fun. It is not better. Being autistic, when looked at outside of the context of real life, is fine. But this is real life and the easier your child finds it the more chance of being happy they have.

Sorry if that sounds like a rant but as a parent, there is nothing more important than knowing your child will be ok, and whether or not it is politically correct, they have more chance of that if they are not autistic.

It really pisses me off how many autistic parents feel their children must be or should be autistic, just because they are. Don't push a disability on a child.

You explain my thoughts exactly! I would adopt an autistic child because they already exist, but would not risk passing on my disability. Hoping to get a tubal ligation soon because I'm tired of birth control side effects.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2018, 6:04 pm

chuckalicious wrote:

(shrugs) Not sure what political correctness has to do with anything, but baby is born now. Well see if he has autism or not. If he does there will be no surprises for me. I know what autism means in real life.

chuckalicious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2018, 1:40 am

Forget about autism and enjoy being a parent. It's amazing. Congratulations.