Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 9:05 am

Does anyone know anything about this? I think my son has it.

I have a 4 1/2 year old, who I do not think is autistic or has ADHD. His regular hearing tests at his pediatrician’s have been normal. We have requested more testing but our doctor hasn’t gotten back with us yet.

What I’m seeing online is that there isn’t much to be done until he is at least 7. At this point, our son has had to be withdrawn from two preschools and was kicked out of a third for “not listening” to rules and fighting when adults forcibly took his hand. Each time he told us that he didn’t know what was going on, didn’t understand the kids’ names or what they were saying, and he came back with bizarre understandings of what the teacher expected of him (“I wasn’t coloring right” “They didn’t want me to swing”). I don’t see how it’s fair to send him into kindergarten and then first grade if he doesn’t understand what people are saying.

What do other people do in this situation?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 10:17 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
What I’m seeing online is that there isn’t much to be done until he is at least 7.

I might have to look this up, I didn't know there was anything that could be done about it.

I've always just tried to cope as well as I can, and I try to figure out on my own what people are saying, or ask "What was that?", or tell people to speak up, rather than just saying "What?" all the time.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 11:06 am

This place makes a device called a filter.
How it works is they evaluate the kids hearing both for information for the filter and to ensure it is CAPD.
Then the device itself slows down the speed of the faster ear to the speed of the other ear, so that the information can reach the same place at the same time in the brain and be easier processed.
It is a little expensive but has made a huge difference for me.

https://www.ablekidsfoundation.org/

If you aren't willing to do that;
Noise cancelling headphones for over stimulation
Priority seating
Written directions along with the verbal. If he cannot read yet, pictures.
Explain how it works to teachers in the hopes that they can be understanding.
Environments with less noise distraction are best. The less other things to get mixed in with what someone is saying, the less garbled it sounds.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 9:15 am

Thank you SO much you guys! I am contacting Able Kids now. Yeah the problem is that not many people have heard of it and with his age all I keep getting is that he’s too young to help.