Why are the parents of autistic people so overprotective?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 6:42 pm

Why are the parents of autistic people so overprotective, I am Polish, my friend's parents did not want him to ride a moped / scooter?

I'm almost 35 mu friend is 30

Why are the parents of autistic people so overprotective, I am Polish, my friend's parents did not want him to ride a moped / scooter when he was 16 even trough allowed to do so his younger and older sibling
My friend now boasts that, as a kid, he had a official sentence of of a Polish court for family matters, for driving a motor vehicle of the type: single-wheeler without a motor / scooter driving license, he was sentenced to social work in the Social Welfare Center, but without an entry in the register of convicts :-)
He said that his parents were terribly pissed off with him, that he drove without a license, because if he was a victim of a road accident, he would be treated as a perpetrator, they were afraid that he would not get into the university because our universities, not knowing why, look crooked when someone was convicted in court
But they did not punish him, because they decided that he had a suspended sentence anyway, but they sent him to a scooter driving license course :-)

He become male nurse thanks to this sentence

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 7:11 pm

I don't think all parents are overprotective like that. Some autistic people have overprotective parents, some have average parents, and some have neglectful parents. Some don't have parents at all. Likewise, parents of neurotypical children, or children with conditions other than autism, can be overprotective. It depends on their personality.

PS A male nurse? Is that a nurse who only treats men? Men who are nurses are called "nurses". 8)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 11:38 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think all parents are overprotective like that. Some autistic people have overprotective parents, some have average parents, and some have neglectful parents. Some don't have parents at all. Likewise, parents of neurotypical children, or children with conditions other than autism, can be overprotective. It depends on their personality.

PS A male nurse? Is that a nurse who only treats men? Men who are nurses are called "nurses". 8)

In Poland, people make jokes about male nurses that this is not a male profession, because about 90% of the percentage are women, it is joked that male nurses are gay, most male nurses work in psychiatric hospitals, nursing homes and retirement homes.

A friend got it as part of a social work penalty for driving a two-wheeler without a driving license, but he liked the job, he started to help others.

But his parents were very afraid that due to the fact that he had done it and would be convicted with a final judgment (which he managed to avoid), he would have a problem with finding a job, that if they knew that it was so important for him, they would buy the scooter themselves and pay for the motorbike driver license course :D

Lippe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2021, 11:42 am

OP, I am not sure if you are a parent yourself but I would assume that from the very out of touch for a parent point of view you represent you are most likely not a parent.

When you are a parent of another human being you are fully responsible for that person in each and every way.
It is very easy to judge your own parents or parents of others but your judgement is very superficial and has no benefit of the depth of entire picture of what the parenting is about and what does it take to parent.

At the very minimum you need to take into consideration that the Autistic children do require on average much more care and parental investment then neurotypical child. Parents do not invest themselves for no apparent reason, parents do respond to that increased need that is very apparent from the early age.
Parents did not and do not create those additional needs, those additional needs come to the surface from the depth of the Autism and need to be addressed.

What you perceive as "overprotection" is simply normal care for "differently abled child".

Think of it as comparing a child with legs to a child without legs. Seeing a child without legs on a wheel chairs being pushed by a parent as opposed a child with legs running freely you would say: why those parents are so overprotective of that child on the wheelchair?

No you would not say that. Because you see the obvious. You see the deficiencies and the needs that have to meet them. With an autistic child you don't see the deficiencies but you see the parent who knows what they are and are trying to provide for them.

What you also need to take into consideration that as a person who clearly has very limited exposure to Autism and raising autistic child is how Autism affect balance. If you care to check the obtundent resources you will very quickly see how the balance is not quite predictable feature of autistic kids and how often they struggle with it for life. It can be a big thing, it can be little thing, it can come and go but it is always there. Some learn to compensate, others learn to avoid. In each case putting Autistic people in a position that requires a lot of balance can prove disastrous.

It is about wiring of the brain, about predictability or lack of it How brain processes situations. It is legendary that adult autistic drivers have problem with distance perception and road rules and how often they rear end cars as they failed to properly adjust speed/distance. How often they are involved in the road rages because they
accuse other drivers of being rude or inconsistent while it is them misreading the rules and reactions in real time.
NOT MY opinion, there is actual data and research to support that. Hence, you end up with lots of people with Autism being involved in accidents.

The problem with sensory processing is there, you know that. This is not a mystery. Now when you add to it sensory processing at 60mph, this is potential recipe for disaster, this is sensory processing on steroids.

So back to the overprotective parents..
When and if that friend will be involved in an accident, which usually ends up deadly when a car meets scooter, who do you think will be dealing with the consequences. If the friend will only injured, badly, paralyzed for life,
who will have to spend the rest of their life tending and worrying nights and days?

If you ask me, those parents must know what is the potential here and they are far from overprotection, they are protecting with reason, for a reason.

A car is also a very risky long term proposition but it is much more minable because driving a car does not involve keeping balance, that involves constant body adjustments. Car is a mental game and a safer one as at least a metal cabin is protecting you to a degree.

I am not sure why you need as a mature adult any second opinion on why and how it was purely idiotic and irresponsible act to just grab a vehicle and ride it without having a license. It is an illegal act. It is dangerous act and it is insane act. It is bad at 7 as much as at 97 but you would hope that an adult would know better then doing this.

If you truly need some feedback here, then in a good will let me explain that such an act could have be very dangerous to many people involved and could end up with bodily injury as well as imprisonment or long term disability of someone, it also could mean legal costs and lastly, driving without a license and insurance
if the person doing it killed someone on the road, they would be not only responsible financially for all the loss they caused, loss of life, loss of earning potential if the killed a family provider.. etc.. but also they would end
up in prison for doing this. This would be involuntary manslaughter at the very minimum, however the intent there would could be disputed.

As to the second part of your post, how the act of being caught resulted in being a male nurse... I am not sure what exactly is the connection and even if it is why would anyone dwell on it, let alone ridicule people working in any field or profession?

For one, people decide about their choice of professional path in very personal way, some involve tons of planning and preparations, for others it may be random inspiration, act of rebel or act of desperation and many other in-betweens.

For two, there is great degree if immaturity of anyone who ridicules anyone for making a living in any way they don't approve. First of all, in most civilized countries work, any work is considered a commodity. It is means of support life. Without work you don't have money, without money you don't have a home, a life.
Why would anyone ridicule someone for their choices. In the US nobody does it. There is no job below and beneath of anyone. People respect anyone who makes a living in any way. There are phases in everyone's life when they have to pick up odd jobs to just survive. There are tons of rich and famous people who were nannies, waiters, care takers, maids, cleaners, etc.. before they were famous or between early gigs. Not ONCE you hear anyone making fun of them because any such person would be considered immature and ridiculous.

Why are male nurses as you put it an object of fun? or ridicule in that country? Males are nurses in the US for ages and this is normal part of life, this is a progress that you seem not to get. Just as many traditionally male jobs opened up with time for females, be it an astronaut, police, body builder etc. Nobody making fun of them right? Just by the same token males now are entering traditionally female fields bringing so much to it.
Imagine million times the situation when a nurse has to lift heavy patients, do you think that it is good to have strong males in the hospitals in that capacity or would it offend your sensitivities?

There are always people with little minds with the need to ridicule others but when you hear them talking, you can always take this opportunity and educate them about what they are missing. You can start with rethinking your own backyard.

P.S. Did you mean to say that because of the sentence, he did not get a shot at the spot at the university?
Because of his criminal record that was supposed not to be recorded? In any case, you can see how one
thing leads to another, if indeed he lost his chance at better future through education because of a bad
choice he made, you can clearly see how much smarter his parents were then him. Not being able to
see things before they happen and envision consequences before acting is an autistic treat and so
you need to again rethink the whole "overprotection" thing. As you see, he had a very smart parents
and he made very bad choice. I am definitely team parents.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 8:05 am

Being on the Asperger's spectrum myself, I find it VERY necessary to constantly watch my youngins because they have no common sense - just like me - no common sense. :D

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 8:13 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

In Poland, people make jokes about male nurses that this is not a male profession, because about 90% of the percentage are women, it is joked that male nurses are gay, most male nurses work in psychiatric hospitals, nursing homes and retirement homes.

A friend got it as part of a social work penalty for driving a two-wheeler without a driving license, but he liked the job, he started to help others.

But his parents were very afraid that due to the fact that he had done it and would be convicted with a final judgment (which he managed to avoid), he would have a problem with finding a job, that if they knew that it was so important for him, they would buy the scooter themselves and pay for the motorbike driver license course :D

I actually believe that to be the case in MOST circumstances. I'm a retired (forcibly) R.N. Many gay nurses were turned away upon applying. Psychiatric hospitals, nursing homes, and retirement homes have a great deal of turnover. They won't turn people away because they need employees. My close friend didn't even bother to apply to major hospitals. He went directly to the other three and is a part-time R.N. in two of them. People have formed lasting relationships with others on the job as well. It's become a niche.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 3:33 am

Lippe wrote:
OP, I am not sure if you are a parent yourself but I would assume that from the very out of touch for a parent point of view you represent you are most likely not a parent.

When you are a parent of another human being you are fully responsible for that person in each and every way.
It is very easy to judge your own parents or parents of others but your judgement is very superficial and has no benefit of the depth of entire picture of what the parenting is about and what does it take to parent.

At the very minimum you need to take into consideration that the Autistic children do require on average much more care and parental investment then neurotypical child. Parents do not invest themselves for no apparent reason, parents do respond to that increased need that is very apparent from the early age.
Parents did not and do not create those additional needs, those additional needs come to the surface from the depth of the Autism and need to be addressed.

What you perceive as "overprotection" is simply normal care for "differently abled child".

Think of it as comparing a child with legs to a child without legs. Seeing a child without legs on a wheel chairs being pushed by a parent as opposed a child with legs running freely you would say: why those parents are so overprotective of that child on the wheelchair?

No you would not say that. Because you see the obvious. You see the deficiencies and the needs that have to meet them. With an autistic child you don't see the deficiencies but you see the parent who knows what they are and are trying to provide for them.

What you also need to take into consideration that as a person who clearly has very limited exposure to Autism and raising autistic child is how Autism affect balance. If you care to check the obtundent resources you will very quickly see how the balance is not quite predictable feature of autistic kids and how often they struggle with it for life. It can be a big thing, it can be little thing, it can come and go but it is always there. Some learn to compensate, others learn to avoid. In each case putting Autistic people in a position that requires a lot of balance can prove disastrous.

It is about wiring of the brain, about predictability or lack of it How brain processes situations. It is legendary that adult autistic drivers have problem with distance perception and road rules and how often they rear end cars as they failed to properly adjust speed/distance. How often they are involved in the road rages because they
accuse other drivers of being rude or inconsistent while it is them misreading the rules and reactions in real time.
NOT MY opinion, there is actual data and research to support that. Hence, you end up with lots of people with Autism being involved in accidents.

The problem with sensory processing is there, you know that. This is not a mystery. Now when you add to it sensory processing at 60mph, this is potential recipe for disaster, this is sensory processing on steroids.

So back to the overprotective parents..
When and if that friend will be involved in an accident, which usually ends up deadly when a car meets scooter, who do you think will be dealing with the consequences. If the friend will only injured, badly, paralyzed for life,
who will have to spend the rest of their life tending and worrying nights and days?

If you ask me, those parents must know what is the potential here and they are far from overprotection, they are protecting with reason, for a reason.

A car is also a very risky long term proposition but it is much more minable because driving a car does not involve keeping balance, that involves constant body adjustments. Car is a mental game and a safer one as at least a metal cabin is protecting you to a degree.

I am not sure why you need as a mature adult any second opinion on why and how it was purely idiotic and irresponsible act to just grab a vehicle and ride it without having a license. It is an illegal act. It is dangerous act and it is insane act. It is bad at 7 as much as at 97 but you would hope that an adult would know better then doing this.

If you truly need some feedback here, then in a good will let me explain that such an act could have be very dangerous to many people involved and could end up with bodily injury as well as imprisonment or long term disability of someone, it also could mean legal costs and lastly, driving without a license and insurance
if the person doing it killed someone on the road, they would be not only responsible financially for all the loss they caused, loss of life, loss of earning potential if the killed a family provider.. etc.. but also they would end
up in prison for doing this. This would be involuntary manslaughter at the very minimum, however the intent there would could be disputed.

As to the second part of your post, how the act of being caught resulted in being a male nurse... I am not sure what exactly is the connection and even if it is why would anyone dwell on it, let alone ridicule people working in any field or profession?

For one, people decide about their choice of professional path in very personal way, some involve tons of planning and preparations, for others it may be random inspiration, act of rebel or act of desperation and many other in-betweens.

For two, there is great degree if immaturity of anyone who ridicules anyone for making a living in any way they don't approve. First of all, in most civilized countries work, any work is considered a commodity. It is means of support life. Without work you don't have money, without money you don't have a home, a life.
Why would anyone ridicule someone for their choices. In the US nobody does it. There is no job below and beneath of anyone. People respect anyone who makes a living in any way. There are phases in everyone's life when they have to pick up odd jobs to just survive. There are tons of rich and famous people who were nannies, waiters, care takers, maids, cleaners, etc.. before they were famous or between early gigs. Not ONCE you hear anyone making fun of them because any such person would be considered immature and ridiculous.

Why are male nurses as you put it an object of fun? or ridicule in that country? Males are nurses in the US for ages and this is normal part of life, this is a progress that you seem not to get. Just as many traditionally male jobs opened up with time for females, be it an astronaut, police, body builder etc. Nobody making fun of them right? Just by the same token males now are entering traditionally female fields bringing so much to it.
Imagine million times the situation when a nurse has to lift heavy patients, do you think that it is good to have strong males in the hospitals in that capacity or would it offend your sensitivities?

There are always people with little minds with the need to ridicule others but when you hear them talking, you can always take this opportunity and educate them about what they are missing. You can start with rethinking your own backyard.

P.S. Did you mean to say that because of the sentence, he did not get a shot at the spot at the university?
Because of his criminal record that was supposed not to be recorded? In any case, you can see how one
thing leads to another, if indeed he lost his chance at better future through education because of a bad
choice he made, you can clearly see how much smarter his parents were then him. Not being able to
see things before they happen and envision consequences before acting is an autistic treat and so
you need to again rethink the whole "overprotection" thing. As you see, he had a very smart parents

I don't see anything wrong with male nurses, although they are often the subject of homophobic jokes, and even when they're not gay, they do a great job!
He wrote to me that his folks knew that he would go crazy and that he would take a scooter without a driving license, they would buy him a scooter themselves and send him to a driving course to do it, but he would do it legally, in accordance with our Polish road law, he was driving a scooter without a driving license, already then, for some time, until the road police stopped him during a routine inspection and asked why he was not holding a scooter license with him ;-)

He got a suspended sentence for this, and a 200-hour or so, community work order, but no other mishaps, due to the fact that it was his first serious misdemeanour, that he had exceptionally good grades at school, and he has Asperger, he was given a suspended sentence which meant that he was not listed as convicted.

His parents reportedly said that if they knew that he cared so much about this scooter, they would have paid him for the course earlier, enrolled him in the course that he would only promise them that he would not ride until he obtained the license and could do it legally :D

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2021, 5:38 pm

@lippe great post. You said it all.

What puzzles me is why anyone would come into this forum and ask this kind of question. You don't come here for no reason. Normally you have some kind of autism connection which in turn would mean you pretty darn well know what it means taking care of kids with ASD. They have no concept of dangers. They do not have the same physical ability as NT kids. They can be completely oblivious to just about anything.

I am the hypocrite kind of parent. I would do any kind of stunt as a young kid but when it comes to my own kids I'm worse than a granny when it comes to precautions. Having two ASD kids I know it's not like I can let them just walk down the stairs on their own. It already happened far too many times they fall straight down. I also know they don't understand what it means getting burned on the oven.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 11:45 am

Yep, I've done some crazy s**t that easilly could have got me killed when I was a kid.
And can do even now, I am quite fearless. My last fear was darkness and I stopped being afraid of the dark at age 7. Well, I was, and am, fearful of hurting others feelings, but not for my own safety.

Once when I was in China I was told "don't talk to those girls, because they are daughters of maffia bosses", so I went over and talked with them.
In my late teens I rode a bike at crazy speed across an intersection where I knew cars could come, but I thought it to be statistcally unlikely that one would hit me.
I've walked on subway tracks. I've tried to save a man from getting robbed by skinheads. I've given the finger to a man wielding a knife.
There are many more examples...

My father let me do many dangerous things and even encouraged me, my mother was more protective.
But I didn't have a diagnosis by then, so my parents didn't know. They knew I could manage cross country skiing where it was level, but would fall as soon as the track was a tiny bit downhill. They probably knew more, but they are gone now so I can't talk with them about it.

/Mats

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 12:07 pm

Jon81 wrote:
@lippe great post. You said it all.

What puzzles me is why anyone would come into this forum and ask this kind of question. You don't come here for no reason. Normally you have some kind of autism connection which in turn would mean you pretty darn well know what it means taking care of kids with ASD. They have no concept of dangers. They do not have the same physical ability as NT kids. They can be completely oblivious to just about anything.

I am the hypocrite kind of parent. I would do any kind of stunt as a young kid but when it comes to my own kids I'm worse than a granny when it comes to precautions. Having two ASD kids I know it's not like I can let them just walk down the stairs on their own. It already happened far too many times they fall straight down. I also know they don't understand what it means getting burned on the oven.

I have autism but wasn't diagnosed till I was an adult, and too my knowledge I wasn't so oblivious I'd constantly put myself in immediate danger and I was fine to walk down stairs on my own I also understand getting burned on the oven.

So not sure every autistic child is the way you are describing...and not sure its exactly typical for autistic kids not to understand what getting burnt by the oven means or be unable to walk down any stairs without immediately falling.

Maybe it is the case with your child, so yeah obviously you'd need to have precautions to try and prevent that though presumably it would be a good idea to find ways to help them learn use stairs more safely, since eventually they will get too big for you too carry up and down the stairs every time. Or if they really cannot learn to use stairs, then they need proper physical accommodations to aid in that. But yeah everyone with autism is different what is true for one is not necessarily true for all.

And my mom was over-protective, it's not just me assuming...she was and in a lot of ways it did not help me.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 12:15 pm

Polish man chooses career path as male nurse. I guess the stereotypes are true.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 12:25 pm

theprisoner wrote:

what stereotype? and why does this make it true? :?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 12:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

You've never heard of the stereotypes? You must not be a avid consumer of media like me. I'ts been around forever. I've never quite understood it myself. I think it's primarily an American thing though.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 12:38 pm

Lippe wrote:

Kind of seems to me it would have been smarter for his parents to have had him go take the driving test and get a licence to drive the mo-ped so he could do it legitimately. Had they done that he may not have made that bad choice.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 12:41 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

You've never heard of the stereotypes? You must not be a avid consumer of media like me. I'ts been around forever. I've never quite understood it myself. I think it's primarily an American thing though.

I've never heard a stereotype about polish men choosing to be nurses.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2021, 12:46 pm

That's a misinterpretation. What you're supposed to do is read between the lines and deduce the meaning in it's proper context.