Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 8:28 pm

There is a med out that stops tardive dykenesia for people who take psychiatric meds. I wonder if this could help people stop stimming. ????

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 8:30 pm

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved treatments for TD that have been studied in well-designed clinical studies and are recommended as first-line therapies.  These treatments are valbenazine (Ingrezza) and deutetrabenazine (Austedo).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 10:34 pm

Stimming is a method of self-soothing...why would one want to stop that?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 11:55 pm

While stimming is sometimes subconscious, it isn't electrical. It's emotional, and serves a positive purpose. If someone has stims they are unable to control under any circumstances, it might be something else.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2021, 6:59 am

Stimming may start as an anxiety management tool. However, some stimming may become pleasure stimulating and begin to take on addictive qualities. Drugs may reduce anxiety or create a fog that dampens pleasure. However, if a particular stim is socially unacceptable or contributes to an addictive process, a substitution method may be more effective than a drug process.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 8:05 pm

Stimming is very different from tardive dyskinesia. TD is involuntary movements caused by a lack of dopamine in the basal ganglia. Stimming is voluntary (or sometimes habitual) self-soothing movements, and is more linked to sensory differences rather than anything to do with motor control.

A medication that reduces TD would probably be effective in treating Parkinson's disease, and possibly helpful for tic disorders such as Tourette's syndrome. But it would have no impact on stimming.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 8:10 pm

timf wrote:
However, some stimming may become pleasure stimulating and begin to take on addictive qualities.

Unlikely. Most people who stim, if their stimming is not inhibited and their overall environment is stable, will not show the classic escalation pattern of an addictive behavior. The closest I can think of to addictive "stimming" is self-harm in people with mood disorders or borderline PD, and it's arguable whether self-harm due to those conditions actually counts as stimming.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 6:10 am

Tardive dyskinesia has nothing whatsoever to do with stimming, as stated above.