Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 8:33 pm

My daughter was diagnosed formally with autism yesterday. She's currently in preschool, a wonderful program run by a church in town (we're not religious, but it's the best preschool on the planet!) and the therapist agreed that if she's doing well, keep her there.

I think there would be some benefit to telling her teachers about her autism if they would be understanding. Thing is, I'm worried about their reaction. Just from my friends and family, people have gotten really weird with me about this. Should I wait, and approach them about it only if something comes up that seems to require me to speak up, or should I just spill the beans?

I'm very torn on this.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Oct 2007, 8:46 pm

Well, if she would do better with some kind of special attention or curriculum, it would be hard not to tell them that she is autistic and get that, so it might be good to tell them. If she can pass for "normal" and do well, I wouldn't tell them unless they ask directly or express concern in her (if she has odd habits, etc.).

If you do tell, I would make sure to tell them that you do not want everyone to know about it and your wish for them is for them not to tell anyone else unless it is absolutely necessary.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2007, 9:16 pm

sure they sould know. But do they teach their worldview to you kid that i would be worryed about. Confusing for an adult but even more so for a kid.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 9:59 am

if sh'es doing fine, I wouldn't tell them just yet. But if its a good pre-school they'll be bringing their concerns about how she might be soon enough

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2007, 11:14 am

It was our preschool that suggested that my son be diagnosed six years ago. When they suggested this to me, they reassured me that they would be more than happy to work with him, and if he ended up having a behavioral therapist, that that therapist would be welcome at the preschool as well. This was also a preschool that happened to be in a church (not the church that we belong to). He was rather difficult to work with at that time, and even so, they were very kind about making me feel comfortable keeping him there. The only reason we did not was because there was a preschool available through the state that would specifically work on his "issues."

Kris

mollyandbobsmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2007, 9:56 am

I believe the best way to teach your child is for the teacher to have all the information available. We have told our son's teacher and she has bent over backwards to try to find ways to accomodate Bobby. She has even been able to notice some of the triggers for his meltdowns and has an "escape plan" she has worked out with him to get him a break. Our teacher has not taught an aspie before (that she knows of :P ) and she has read everything she can get her hands on and is fantastic! Best of luck to you!!