Final results have been postponed!! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 2:41 pm

I'm frustrated like you wouldn't believe. Then again maybe you guys would understand. lol. I should have been getting some results today,but it's been postponed the evaluation team want J to be seen by their speech pathologist (I'd given them the results of the schools speech therapist) Apparently there are a few question marks/concerns that weren't really covered in the original results.
I know the evaluation team are being very thourough but this has been going on now for over two months, I want answers, J needs help we all need support. By the time we get to their speech pathologist it will be about 12wks from the first visit.
I just want to know what to do and get the services in place to help my little boy.

militarybrat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2007, 10:37 pm

Unfortunatly, the diagnosing process takes along time as there is much that has to be ruled out. I know tis is hard but you'll need to be patient. If possible start working with your son now, getting him as much help as you can and premtivly setting up what you can't start till after the diagnosis.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

31 Oct 2007, 10:55 pm

aurea wrote:
I just want to know what to do and get the services in place to help my little boy.

Hello.

I have 3 sons: 9, 7 and 4. My 9 and 7 year olds have been diagnosed with Asperger's (4 year old is showing lots of signs but I'm not seeking diagnosis yet because we're able to manage him and he's happy!)

I know how frustrating it is waiting for diagnosis! It took us almost 9 months to get my middle son diagnosed. Our other son only took a couple of months.

It will happen. You just need to be patient.

In Australia, the help for kids with Asperger's is improving all the time.

Once your son has a diagnosis, you can apply for a Carer's Allowance from Centrelink - this is $96/fortnight.

You can also get a Mental Health Plan from your GP. Medicare then pays $80 towards any psychology fees. After you reach a certain threshold, Medicare pays 80% of fees. The Mental Health Plan allows for 12 psychology visits / year.

Also, being an election campaign, we have been given extra funds (I call it 'vote for us' bribery money :lol: ). Parents who receive a Carer's allowance will receive an extra $1000 per year for 5 years - the first payment was made last week but after that it will be in July.

The government also just announced a new $1.8 bllion Disability Assistance Package. This includes early intervention services for children aged 0 to 6 diagnosed with ASD; training and support for parents and carers; and workshops and info sessions for parents and carers with school-aged children with ASD.

The school also gets a chunk of extra funding each year for your child. They will have access to a Special Ed teacher.

My sons go to SEC (special ed classroom) everyday for 30 - 90 minutes depending on the day. They love it and do fun stuff like cooking classes (social skills in disguise); acting classes (emotion management in disguise) and computer skills.

I am happy with the support my boys are getting and happy with the government support (but I'm not voting for Howard! :lol: )

Regards
Helen

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 11:08 pm

Thank you smelena,
I already get the CDA from centrelink and have had the hush money lol. I to am not voting Howard!
I'm worried because my sons school arent supportive at all. They told me right at the start when I told them that J was going to be evaluated that he wouldn't be getting an aide or any special services from them ! !!
I think I may have to move him once I get a plan of action. I'm scared because he doesn't like change.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 7:39 pm

It shouldn't take so long if the doctors know what they are doing. All I can think of is it is more difficult to pick up ASD if the child is relatively mildly affected and/or has a co-morbid condition such as ADD or ADHD. Hope it won't take much longer because I agree - the earlier the better.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

ster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 12:21 am

terribly frustrating waiting for results. everything seems like its on hold. sometimes when scores are too close together or too indefineable, evals take longer than expected.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 1:18 am

A lot can be picked up by simply observing the child.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

04 Nov 2007, 4:38 am

aurea wrote:
I'm worried because my sons school arent supportive at all. They told me right at the start when I told them that J was going to be evaluated that he wouldn't be getting an aide or any special services from them ! !!
I think I may have to move him once I get a plan of action. I'm scared because he doesn't like change.

I can't believe somebody at the school said this! That's outrageous! I would go straight to the Principal and have this clarified. If you don't get any joy from the Principal, contact the education department and find out what your child's rights are.

I know in Queensland, it is a legal obligation of the school to have a written IEP formulated by the parents and school - and to follow it. The school is given a chunk of funding for your child.

Before changing schools I would investigate further. It may have been just one stupid teacher telling you crap.

I was very unhappy with our school in April. I went to the Vice-Principal with my complaints. I strongly advocated for my sons. I even paid for their Psychologist to go to the school to educate the teacher I was having a problem with + the stupid Guidance Officer.

The school listened to the Psychologist (she did a fabulous job).

The school made quite a few changes and now I am delighted with the care my boys are getting.

If this doesn't work, then change schools. But before you 'jump ship' do heaps of research to make sure the school is good and will accommodate your son.

It's better to change your son to a good school and have the short-term pain of change, then long-term at a less than adequate school.

Now for my pep talk: You have to stay strong and advocate for your son. Noone can do a better job than you. It's frustrating. It can get you down. But it's worth it.

My sons are doing really well now.

Regards
Helen

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 2:22 pm

It was the vice principle that said no services or aide. I think the problem is as you may have noticed from my posts, J internalises most things, he shuts down till he gets to a safe place ie me or home. So the school are saying he isnt disruptive, J loves to learn the more facts the better. J wants to be sociable, he follows kids talking their ears off, he either ignores or isn't always picking up on their nasty comments. When the other kids do hurt him he has learnt not to say anything because this makes the kids dislike him more or the teachers on yard duty turn it back on him. I get all the tears and anger and silence at home or in the car on the way home. I want to cry with him most times. :(
Anyway I told one member of the evaluation team what J's school had said and her response was " Well lets just see what they say when they get our recommendations!"
I have a lot of expectations pinned on this evalutation. Maybe to much.
Thanks guys this board has been a God send.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 5:53 am

Since you are in Australia, there is another option to consider. This teacher's comments were entirely inappropriate and constitute discrimination, which is illegal here. If you get no satisfaction from the principal, you can write to or phone your local member of Parliament with your concerns.

Public servants quake in their boots at the thought of ministerials and provided the school is a state school, the teachers and principals are public servants. There is also the ombudsman if a state school is involved and no resolution is reached with the principal.

If it is a private school, I'm not sure what redress you'd have but one of the other contributors from Australia might be able to advise.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Temma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2007, 6:13 am

Hi aurea,

I'm from Melbourne too and I can feel your pain, dealing with the stupidity of some of those who work in schools :? .

My son is in prep and he sounds a bit like your son. I've been battling with our school all year and I know how tiring it is 8O !

Who is doing the assessment? I went private, (cost a small fortune), but at least we got the dx quickly! I've found though that despite heaps of professionals having written their reports about strategies which would help, etc., no one in the school has read them! Total waste of money and time :( .

I'm also thinking about changing schools - I'm in Northcote - where are you?

Temma

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:12 pm

Temma,

We are in Ascot Vale. J's assesment is being done thru an annex of the RCH. How are you going about getting services? I have had to go private so far for his OT $85 for 45 mins. The public waiting list over here is way to long at least a year I was told. Has your son been given an aide at school?
It's a pity you dont live closer, perhaps we could have introduced our kids.

Temma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2007, 10:08 pm

Hi aurea,

my son does get funding now (it's taken this long to be approved) and on Wednesday his aide is starting! J's on level 2 funding which is about $11,000 a year and that works out to be 3 hours of aide time, 4 days a week. I really hope the aide isn't a blonk and knows what he's doing!

I know how hard it is to be your own child's advocate - I reckon you should contact the Association for Children with a Disability and Melbourne City Mission. There's a brilliant woman at the MCM who does advocacy, (she's also from the Northern Parent Support Group. Asoct Vale is north-west, isn't it?).

My son was dx by a private psychologist, our own speechie and our own paed. It took awhile but not as long as the public system.

My son hasn't had any SSG meetings this year and no IEP has been implemented. The school is only prepared to get off their rear ends and do something when it is a legal obligation so we are suddenly having meetings for everything under the sun. They are still pretty hopeless though and have the attitude that second best is good enough.

PM me if you want any details about anything!!

Temma
PS: does your son like Captain Underapants?

ster
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 6:25 am

Temma~ my kids all LOVED Captain Underpants !