Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

motherofhim
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2008, 9:09 am

Pandora wrote:
If your son has to use public transport, would you or another family member or friend be able to go with him the first few times to make sure he knows what to do? Ditto for getting around the community college?

I was another one who was emotionally very young for their age but intellectually ahead of my age. It didn't cause too many issues in school but it certainly did once I had to leave home and go to college. It didn't matter how hard I tried, I could not please some people, including the principals.

Thanks for the heads up. Of course, we would take a few "dry runs" before he actually has to start college. The roads to the college are filled with awful potholes and he might actually be better off taking public transport. I blew out a tire this past weekend ($300.85) ouch!! ! en route back from the college. We will have to see what his pdoc has to say. Most people (adults) find my son very charming and polite, now.

crzymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2008, 12:31 am

I sometimes think I'll hyperventilate if I think of my 13 yo AS son driving in a few years. He has absolutely no road sense. I am sure that he will not get his license as young as some of his peers will.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2008, 8:35 pm

I'm perfectly fine when driving an automatic shift car, but the thought of me having to shift the car is too much. There's too much room for error. And plus, the third pedal is too much to deal with, I already use my left foot for the brake (as bad as that is I've never pressed both the gas and the brake at the same time).

I'm only 15 and haven't taken any sort of test yet, just passed a classroom course and gotten a permit to drive with my parents. It's been good except for the times when my dad has forced me to do things that I really didn't want to do. One of them almost caused us to be in a bad accident with a much bigger car than us... I don't even want to remember. :shaking: From that point on my mom decided that I was only to drive with her.

Fortunately, the driver's ed company I'm with is all automatic shift, so I'm in the clear. However, our stick shift car IS a diesel engine and gets 50+ MPG... I feel guilty that I'm too scared to drive it >.<

crzymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2008, 11:49 pm

I should be more positive. It's two years until he's legally able to drive, and hopefully he will improve by then. I'm still sure he won't have a license until he's at LEAST 16 though.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 6:47 am

If in doubt, err on the side of caution here. There is no rule saying that people MUST get their licence when they are 17.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

crzymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2008, 2:52 pm

Absolutely, heartily agree...............

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 12:23 am

I failed my driver's license test twice. The first time, the guy failed me for pulling out too far after stopping at a stop sign. The second time, the guy failed me because I didn't pull out far enough.

*blinks*

The third time, I got a woman, and she said, "wow, you're a really great driver. Why don't you have your license yet?"

Moral of the story: Find a woman.

I've been driving since I was 17 (on a shift no less), and am now 23 and have never been in an accident or even pulled over.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 8:15 am

I am nearly 28 and only now going for my drivers licence this year I think with Aspie's it is important to allow them to do it in their own time asd it takes them a long time to mature.

crzymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2008, 10:07 am

the problem with us is that 13 YO son thinks he's ready to drive now. His dad lets him drive the pickup in the field when they are harvesting varied veggies (hobby farm) and has let him drive the tractor. He (husband) thinks I worry to much. I try to tell him that our son isn't like him at 10 years old being allowed to drive farm equipment. I married a stubborn man.

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2008, 10:45 pm

motherofhim wrote:
My son flunked his driving test because he was so nervous that he drove terribly. I am worried about his being able to get to community college next fall.

Has anyone got any help or information on how to get this kid (has had professional lessons), to get his nerves under control while driving?

Do most Aspies have this kind of problem. My son gets so nervous that its a terrible thing. His Mom and Dad drive fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

As an 18 year old on the verge of his test with AS I can tell you it's natural. The problem stems form the fact that we lose focus and attention and of course we panic a lot when we do something wrong as we tihnk it's hopeless and there is no chance of a recovery.

What is needed is the right instructor, the one I have has worked loads of me because he always talks, always reminds me of what I have to do, what I need to do, what I have to study and what i need to look out for. You need to find one like that who is very understanding, who is calm, who is very knowledgeable and above all, patient. It can be done, i assure you.

runswithscissors
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2008, 1:12 pm

My 17 year old Aspie son passed his road test the first time out, but most of his peers did not and he is about the only senior in his alternative HS who drives.

I see you are in the Northeast. In NY, you can apply to VESID for help. They are providing several of my son's classmates with further lessons on top of the regular driver's ed program. You just have to certify that they will have a car to practice on and take the road test with. At my son's school, the lessons are provided during the school day.

If you are not in NY, contact your state's offices of Disabilities or Vocational Rehab and see if you can get any help. The instructors who will work with my son's classmates have experience with our type of kid, unlike most of the regular driver ed teachers.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2008, 2:34 pm

Tell him good luck!
No reason an aspie shouldn't be able to get test once he gets over his nerves!
I got it at 17, as did 2 other aspies I know of.
LOts of practice and hopefully it will go well next time.
Remember... :) NTs can fail because of nerves and freezing up!! And at 17, lots do!