Afraid to enjoy the good days too much....a vent post

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mommie2alex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2008, 1:02 pm

My son is possibly AS (haven't gotten a "confirmed" dx yet but working on it) and for the longest time his days at school, which is really a children's partial program at a local behavioral health center, were all "bad" days, but for the past 4 days he's been having pretty good days there. I'm so afraid to be too happy about the good days for fear of when/if he has another bad day(s) because it's so hard for all of us, but especially him. I know I need to just learn to enjoy each day as it comes and not worry about the next day until it's here, but I guess I just feel the need to get myself prepared for the possibility of the "bad" day. *Sigh* I'm trying to stop stressing so much over the bad things in life and now I'm stressing over the good too!! !

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 1:59 pm

I'm much more anxious about good days. I think it comes with the territory. I'd rather have bad days at home with my son than good days at school. I always wonder, "I wonder what they aren't telling me?" :?: :?

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 2:46 pm

I experienced that cycle. A string of good days and you think the DX is wrong. Then, the a really bad day comes out of the blue...followed by bad and worse days. I'm numb to it all now. I figure it will all work out eventually.

aurea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 3:34 pm

I completely understand what you all have said especially you kim, lol. If J's school tell me he has been fine and he's had a good day, straight way I think what have they missed.
The school system really need to start listening, they are making us all understandably paranoid. (well me anyway)
I'm in australia so its school holiday time right now. Towards the end of school ie, late december J was a mess. Looking back now he was having meltdown after melt down. However at the start of last week I started to wonder if maybe they(docs) had made a mistake with his dx. Then I took J and another boy a few years older than J to the zoo, nope no mistake. I did the whole trip thru the other kids eyes this time. If that makes sense. I had just come to accept J and all his quirks It was an eye opener to relise not everyone else is as accepting. J would only stop to look at what he wanted to see, he kept wondering off, he tried to educate everyone else around any enclosure he was looking at, he told people to move and then would shove past them (not caring what size they were or giving them time to respond). He complained about the sunlight, he covered his ears when a speaker went off, the list goes on. Normally I wouldn't notice this stuff to much, just deal with it and move on. This time I did. Yep my kid is different. My first instinct was to feel sad, then I realised he wasn't sad. I am trying to save my sadness for if and when it's needed and trying to just enjoy the happy and the ok moments. It is hard tho.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 8:41 pm

it's really hard.....you get into such a groove~everything is going wonderful, and then WHAM-O !......Lately, i've just been trying to remind myself that we all have bad days. that things will pass ( although in the heat of the moment, they sure don't seem like they'll ever end !). I've been doing alot of praying too. I'm not really religious, but it seems to make me feel better.

LynnInVa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2008, 7:22 am

i used to feel that way.
i think what helped us is spotting the bad before it happens and redirecting. No, it didn't work all the time, but if you can learn (spot in advance) what might make a bad day and find ways to redirect it may help you and your son. Trust me, it's not an over-night thing - it took me YEARS - and now I know what words, actions, emotions will set the girl off.

mommie2alex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2008, 8:09 am

Well it's looking like the "good" days streak may have ended today. He has not had a very good morning here with me so far, and I'm waiting for the van to get here to pick him up for school. Maybe his meds will kick in before he gets there and he can have a better day there, so far this morning he's been driving me crazy!! ! lol :roll: