Great Start to the New School Year

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

30 Jan 2008, 7:57 pm

In Australia our school year runs January - December.

AussieBoy (9 year old son) and UbbyUbbyUbby (7 year old son) started school on Tuesday.

So far so good. They both have great teachers and friends in their class. The teachers were very willing to find out more about Asperger's and my boys' special interests.

We have a new Special Ed teacher too. She seems pretty switched on about Asperger's. She's more 'conventional' than our beloved Special Ed teacher from last year - time will tell how the boys respond to her.

IEP meetings in 2 weeks. It's great going into the school year with the boys diagnosed and accomodations being made immediately. Both boys were diagnosed last year, and the first 6 months of last year were awful.

On a personal note, I just had a 3 week European vacation by myself. My darling husband took 3 weeks off work and looked after our 3 sons who were on school holidays.

I had a fantastic holiday and cleared my head after a stressful 2007. I came back and my husband apologised for the state of the garden. In the meantime, he's spring-cleaned all the cupboards!!

What a fantastic husband.

Helen

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 8:13 pm

How nice! I'm glad for you.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:55 pm

I found too that after diagnosis was accepted and accomodations were implemented, it was much better for my son--his confidence level went up too. I think he felt more at ease and sensed that he was accepted--just a theory.

Now we are moving to new school--more rural. I'm looking forward to it (I think). He wil be in his new school next Monday--hard to believe!

European vacation, eh? Lovely.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 7:15 am

My eldest is back at school now but;

- New Teacher (obviously) - and a male this time.
- New special ed teacher
- None of his friends in the same class - in fact not one boy from last years class in his class.
- No Tutor - she died on January 2.

On a positive note, his teacher is Indian but he was very excited and came home and told us that he thinks his teacher is Chinese. :)

Also - the new teacher only lasted one day - and is now in hospital for some scheduled surgery - so the next 3 weeks will be with a temporary replacement.

Omma
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2008, 9:43 am

Great! It's so important to have good teachers for our children. My ds has a teacher that is NOT good with AS and this school year has been miserable! His spec. ed. teacher is good, as is his aide. But his mainstream teacher makes things much harder than they need to be!

Have a wonderful school year!!