Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

oblekis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 11:52 am

My son is almost 5, nonverbal. He stimms alot, and it constantly changes with what he is stimming with. He likes to spin (who doesnt as a child) and he used to spin his body so fast, he was like a top(and NEVER fell).
Anyways....
Lately I have noticed that he may be stimming with his emotions?? He will be fine, then all the sudden he will cry out with tears and everything for a few seconds. Then hes fine again. I ask him if hes okay, he looks a little confused maybe...then hes okay. This can go on for hours.

One episode I remember (over a year ago), he was going back and forth between laughing and crying for over an hour. One moment hes laughing uncontrollably, then hes fine....a few minutes later hes crying uncontrollably.

Does anyone else have this, or ever heard of stimming with your own emotions??
Its so hard, because he can not TELL me how he is feeling.

Thanks for anyone who responds.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 12:27 pm

Quote:
He likes to spin (who doesnt as a child) and he used to spin his body so fast, he was like a top(and NEVER fell).

Wow, maybe he should get into ice skating?

Seriously though, yes, emotions make them way worse, for me at least. I'll be fine, but put me in an emotional situation and it becomes almost uncontrolable.

I remember I didn't like to talk much as a child, and would never use a phone if I had any choice.

Sound like he's just really in touch with his emotions. I would think he'll gain control as he ages.

innermusic

12 Feb 2008, 1:36 pm

If you go to the stanley greenspan web site and click on "see a sample video" he talks about this. He doesn't like the word "stimming" and thinks that emotions have a lot to do with the behaviors we see. He believes we parents should meet our kids "where they are" and join them in whatever they are doing - even if it's stimming. They have to want to communicate with us, and might be more willing to do it if we tryi to relate to them on their terms. He said someone who later became more verbal said that when he would wave his arms around, he was really conducting to music he was hearing in his head. Who knows what's going on with these wonderkids, but it certainly is probably more than we could ever really understand. Perhaps your son is imagining scenarios where he is happy - then sad...?

Don't let me mess up the his great message from Stanley Greenspan. Check that out. Perhaps a seasoned posterd could put that link on here for me :-)

oblekis

12 Feb 2008, 3:55 pm

zghost wrote:
Wow, maybe he should get into ice skating?

Seriously though, yes, emotions make them way worse, for me at least. I'll be fine, but put me in an emotional situation and it becomes almost uncontrolable.

I remember I didn't like to talk much as a child, and would never use a phone if I had any choice.

Sound like he's just really in touch with his emotions. I would think he'll gain control as he ages.

Im sure he would be great at ice skating! He is very agile, never falls...ever.
Thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated :D

oblekis

12 Feb 2008, 3:58 pm

innermusic wrote:
If you go to the stanley greenspan web site and click on "see a sample video" he talks about this. He doesn't like the word "stimming" and thinks that emotions have a lot to do with the behaviors we see. He believes we parents should meet our kids "where they are" and join them in whatever they are doing - even if it's stimming. They have to want to communicate with us, and might be more willing to do it if we tryi to relate to them on their terms. He said someone who later became more verbal said that when he would wave his arms around, he was really conducting to music he was hearing in his head. Who knows what's going on with these wonderkids, but it certainly is probably more than we could ever really understand. Perhaps your son is imagining scenarios where he is happy - then sad...?

Don't let me mess up the his great message from Stanley Greenspan. Check that out. Perhaps a seasoned posterd could put that link on here for me :-)

Thanks, I will try to find the site. I whole heartedly accept my son for who he is, and definatly dont want to change him at all. I just want to be able to understand what he is going through as good as I possibly can. I like how the one who became more verbal, and told he was conducting music! Thats too cool!

Thanks again :D

innermusic

12 Feb 2008, 4:17 pm

Floortime is great - I just started reading about it and can't get enough. I wish I could put that link on here... I highly recommend it. That also has a website that I can't post yet, but it's the same as it's called "floortime"

Have you tried laughing with him when he laughs, and crying with him when he cries? If he seems interested in you joining with him - have you tried initiating a NEW sound, and see if he copies you (one that he can do). Perhaps you could make a special game out of it that will make him more interested in you?